• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD Speed Control and Plextor PX-760A

schmidtj

AnyDVD's Speed Control works fine on my Plextor PX-716A's but not on my new PX-760A.
I have Nero 6.0 installed and have had issues when Plextools Pro is installed concurrently with Nero so using the Plextools to control the drive's speed when reading CSS encoded DVD's is really not a option for me.
Yes, holding the eject button for 3 seconds is a workable option but something I need to "remember" to do. Remembering stuff at my age is getting more and more difficult. :)
Is there any reason AnyDVD could not be enhanced to support speed control on the PX-760A drive?
Tnx,
J

I originally replied to this and then removed the reply because I hadn't experimented enough with my new PX-760A.

In short, the only way I can get a fast rip is pressing the eject button for 3 seconds and then putting the DVD in when the drawer opens. Even with the setting set in PlexTools it doesn't seem to help. The AnyDVD speed control also does nothing. I have everything set to Fast and Noisy and the drive remains whisper quiet and slow. The difference in time between using SpeedRead and not is enormous for me. For a retail protected DL DVD to be ripped and compressed to DVD-5 on my HDD we're talking over ~45 minutes w/o it enabled and about ~17 minutes with it enabled.

For now I use the 3 second eject method but, honestly, it pisses me off b/c generally I use a little program in my systray to open/close my CD/DVD drives and use the buttons as little as possible.

Well my post isn't going to be very helpful, but . . .

Egads, you're using an expensive burner to rip with? :eek:
Get an el-cheapo dvd-rom drive that rips quickly would be my suggestion.
When it wears out, get another.

I'll use my PX-760 to burn only (I also have a PX-716 in my system).

Normally, I would be willing to test solutions, but I refuse to rip with my burners.

Egads, you're using an expensive burner to rip with? :eek:
Get an el-cheapo dvd-rom drive that rips quickly would be my suggestion.
When it wears out, get another.

I'll use my PX-760 to burn only (I also have a PX-716 in my system).

Normally, I would be willing to test solutions, but I refuse to rip with my burners.

I removed my PX-716A because it needs to be looked at. It had some issues with burning and then I, unfortunately, had a DVD that I had to order from Europe and a piece [inside of the disc] broke off inside the drive. Looked fine when I put it in but apparently it was ready to break already. The drive needs to be opened and cleaned and checked out and I've been lazy. So I'm left with a PX-760A and a PX-708A in this system now.

No matter how you cut it in any of my systems I am left using a Plextor. I've always been willing to spend a little extra to get a better product [and yes, to me they definitely are] and IMO that's what Plextor has always been.

I know other drives are cheaper and I've had friends who love cheaper ones but I have heard the stories of sorrow. Lite-On has been common over the last 4 years of sad tales I've heard. Sad to see Plextor stop selling consumer drives. Very sad.

Btw, I can also say that from reading the posts about people with errors and AnyDVD and discs not being read... my Plextors don't ever seem to have a problem when others do. That, again, is another reason why I love my drives. I paid 69 USD for a new retail PX-760A. That's worth it in my book.

I tend to agree with your post. Currently using a Plextor 708A & 760A Burners. Had problems with my 716A and gave it away, but love this new 760A. The 760A works great with AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 and have backed up many of my DVD's with them.

Not sure what you need the speed control for, so cant really say much on that.

I`ll never buy another Plextor drive again. My first 760A drive worked fine for two months then quite recognising any type of disc put in it, then I went through three replacement 760A drives from Plextor all with the same exact problem and that was they did not like lightly scratched Verbatim +RW media that any of my other drives including a Plextor 716SA drive did not have any problems with. The replacemt 760A drives either wouldnt write to the lightly scratched Verbatim +RW disc or would burn it fine but would make the disc unrecognisable. Plextor tech support finaly said that their drives are just more sensitive to lightly scratched +RW media, I told them that if ten other $30.00 drives didnt have a problem with it but their 760A does then their drives arent worth what they cost anymore. I even had a few brand new Verbatim +RW discs that couldnt be recognised after being burned on the 760A.

I don't even think the 760A *is* a Plextor drive.

I even tried every firmware version they had for that drive and still had the same problems, I know others with the same drive who didn't have any problems with Verbatim DVD+RW media then I also know others who had the same exact problems as I, I even went as far as trying it in 3 different PC`s using different programs. They claim they tested the third replacement drive before shipping it out to me and it tested fine, I then asked what software they used to test their drives with and they said it was their own propitiatory software. They didnt like it when I told them in my opinion when it comes to DVD+RW reliability the 760A is a piece of crap compaired to a $30.00 drive. I just found my notes that I kept when I tested each drive and the second replacement 760A wrecked 8 brand new Verbatim DVD+RW discs.

It is. It's a real Plextor. So is the PX-716. Some of the other models in between are not Plextor. I haven't had any problems with either, but I did ensure when I bought them that they were the most recent TLAs. I never buy early TLA Plextors. My girlfriend's PX-760A works great as well. I prefer the PX-716 due to the larger buffer though.

Of course, now that most Plextor burners have been discontinued, it doesn't matter anymore.

Last edited:
Not sure what you need the speed control for, so cant really say much on that.

With the PX-760A this seems to make no difference at all. With my PX-716A and PX-708A the difference in the time it takes to rip a DVD is quite noticeable.

Essentially, using the Speed Control in AnyDVD [for the PX-708 & PX-716] had nearly the same impact as the SpeedRead feature using the ''3 second eject method'' for the PX-760A. I don't know about you but if I can rip a DVD from ~2-3 times faster then that's what I want to do! ;)

Not sure what you are alluding to but AnyDVD says:
No Disc is present in Drive Q:!
PLEXTOR DVDRPX-760A 1.06 12/26/0609:00

Not sure what you are alluding to but AnyDVD says:
No Disc is present in Drive Q:!
PLEXTOR DVDRPX-760A 1.06 12/26/0609:00

Some Plextors were rebadged Benqs, etc. But the PX-760 and PX-716 were real Plextor drives. There's some fear newer Plextors will be rebadged Lite-ons.

Essentially, using the Speed Control in AnyDVD [for the PX-708 & PX-716] had nearly the same impact as the SpeedRead feature using the ''3 second eject method'' for the PX-760A. I don't know about you but if I can rip a DVD from ~2-3 times faster then that's what I want to do! ;)

Yeah, I suspect what's set in Plextools supersedes anything Anydvd tells the drive to do (but I could be wrong) in terms of read speed.

Hi Guys,

DrinkLyeandDie - Are you saying you get different results, by ticking plextools 'enable speed read' vs the 3 second eject?

I notice pretty much no change when i enable from plextools 'enable speed read.' I've not tried the eject button as a hinged cover makes it ackward to get to it.

What firmware are you using for the 760A, I've been told 1.06 is trash, and to use 1.03, however this did not make any diff., but speed read was off. Maybe I'll try 1.03 again.

What is AnyDVD's "Enable Speed Control?"

Take Care
Rico

DrinkLyeandDie - Are you saying you get different results, by ticking plextools 'enable speed read' vs the 3 second eject?

What I'm saying is the only way I get it to work is using the 3 second method. I have it enabled in PlexTools and honestly don't see it work unless I press eject for 3 seconds. Maybe I'm just nuts.

I notice pretty much no change when i enable from plextools 'enable speed read.' I've not tried the eject button as a hinged cover makes it ackward to get to it.

Agreed. And I avoid using the button because I reach down w/o looking and it's just a pain as well as possibly wearing out the button. I did have that happen many many years ago on a CD-ROM.

What firmware are you using for the 760A, I've been told 1.06 is trash, and to use 1.03, however this did not make any diff., but speed read was off. Maybe I'll try 1.03 again.

I'm using the 1.06 firmware. I've had zero issues with it so I can't find a valid reason to switch to any other version.

What is AnyDVD's "Enable Speed Control?"

Go to Drives and then over the speed settings right-click. It'll explain what the settings do.

Last edited:
Just checked AnyDVD and my speed control is ON and set to FAST & NOISY for Video DVD. I never have any problems with either my Plextor 708A or the 760A when backing up movies, but never tried the Plextools software. Also using Plextors 1.06 Firmware.

James, here is a link to the 760A if you wanted to check it out.

Whats this about Plextor drives being discontinued? Hope not..thats all I use.

Last edited:
Just checked AnyDVD and my speed control is ON and set to FAST & NOISY for Video DVD. I never have any problems with either my Plextor 708A or the 760A when backing up movies, but never tried the Plextools software. Also using Plextors 1.06 Firmware.

James, here is a link to the 760A if you wanted to check it out.

It's not that they don't work but w/o SpeedRead the rip takes way way longer for me! I may try removing PlexTools altogether.

Whats this about Plextor drives being discontinued? Hope not..thats all I use.

They're getting out of the consumer market when it comes to optical disc drives from what they said and focusing elsewhere.

Oddly, if you visit the North American site and look at their Spotlights (News Bulletins) they have one dated 1/23/07 - Plextor Reaffirms Commitment to Optical Disc Drive Business however you can't view it. It's 404. Hrm.

Egads, you're using an expensive burner to rip with? :eek:...
The PX760A IS my least expensive burner. I have three PX716A(U) which are more costly w/larger buffers I use for burning.

Back