• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Resolved 4K Downloads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What size? It starts to be an obvious difference at 65".

The difference actually starts to become striking at about the 40" range. I can say this because 1 monitor is 32" and the other is 43". I have them mirrored so I can see the same image on both. 4k movies played on the 32" screen are virtually indestinguishable from the same movie in 1080p playing on my 55" TV a few feet away. On the 43" screen sitting about 2 feet away so it fills my whole field of vision, it is breathtaking.

For day-to-day PC usage you don't really want to bother going under 43". I'd actually like to have a bit bigger of a monitor(yes, somehow my screen still manages to get crowded...) but for now I've got space constraints. I do find it silly when they sell 17" laptops with 4k screens.... ain't no way you're getting any visual distinction at that size lol.

Its possible to upscale a video to 4k resolution but that doesn't actually make it 4k. Its like the magic enhance button on CSI, the resolution you start with is all the resolution you get. It may certainly look different but its not the same as starting with a 4k source or film digitally scanned in 4K.

Your model of graphics card has nothing to do with the quality of the output you get from rendering video files. I could run the same software on a "headless" PC(one with no graphics card at all) and get the same results. All those hollywood films? They are rendered on PCs that do not have graphics cards as such. The video card, if there even is one, is some ancient ATI model.

Not that long ago render machines were entirely CPU-based. Now adays they do use G.eneral P.roccessing U.nits the same as at the core of your 3060ti. GPUs handle certain workloads(like math and graphics processing) better than CPUs. But its only been very recently that GPUs got fast enough to supplant CPUs in sheer horsepower.

I was actually referring to speed. And...no, the CPU is not the same as the core of a GPU.
If you have any questions on what GPU's are used by Hollywood Animation firms, I can put you in touch with my friend who is a partner and Executive Producer for Anibrain....one of the current leading animation companies.

They use NVIDIA Visual Workstations....ranging about $25K each.
They also give tours of their studios in Los Angeles if you are interested.

The discussion is largely just a bunch of people casually shooting the breeze. Real video enthusiasts have never had nice things to say about streaming.

Agreed....
I'd take a 4K disc over a stream anyday.....but as you also pointed out...without the right display....nothing will help the video look better.

The new Oled's seem promising....but who has $4-5K to drop on a tv.

And...no, the CPU is not the same as the core of a GPU.

I never said it was. What I did say was that I could get the same quality output rendering with a CPU rather than a GPU, it would just take considerably longer. At the end of the day its all just math, what hardware preforms that math makes no difference to the final outcome.

If you have any questions on what GPU's are used by Hollywood Animation firms, I can put you in touch with my friend who is a partner and Executive Producer for Anibrain....one of the current leading animation companies.

I actually work with Anibrain(I think?) and if not them specifically than with several similar companies. I service and maintain storage area networks(really big hard drives) and several of our customers are in the entertainment industry. I get to learn a lot about their workload and hardware while banging my head against the wall trying to solve weird file system issues.

They use NVIDIA Visual Workstations....ranging about $25K each.
They also give tours of their studios in Los Angeles if you are interested.

Yeah, the visual workstations are what the actual animators/editors/etc use today are very fascinating. But the actual final rendering is handed off to high-end compute nodes not dissimilar from a typical supercomputer. And the storage is handled on some very fascinating machines running complex file systems.

I love my job.

Agreed....
I'd take a 4K disc over a stream anyday.....but as you also pointed out...without the right display....nothing will help the video look better.

The new Oled's seem promising....but who has $4-5K to drop on a tv.

Personally I'm more interested in utility/longevity of the equipment. I'd rather not drop 5k on a TV and have it break in 3 years. I should be moving into a house sometime next year; when I do I plan on shopping for something called a "digital signage display" to use as a television. Its basically a TV with no speakers that's designed to be installed in a store and run 16 hours a day, 7 days a week non-stop for 5+ years. I figure with moderate use I should be able to get ~10 years out of one of those. 80" is my target but I've seen them as large as 92" for a good price.

I never said it was. What I did say was that I could get the same quality output rendering with a CPU rather than a GPU, it would just take considerably longer. At the end of the day its all just math, what hardware preforms that math makes no difference to the final outcome.

I actually work with Anibrain(I think?) and if not them specifically than with several similar companies. I service and maintain storage area networks(really big hard drives) and several of our customers are in the entertainment industry. I get to learn a lot about their workload and hardware while banging my head against the wall trying to solve weird file system issues.

Yeah, the visual workstations are what the actual animators/editors/etc use today are very fascinating. But the actual final rendering is handed off to high-end compute nodes not dissimilar from a typical supercomputer. And the storage is handled on some very fascinating machines running complex file systems.

I love my job.

You've probably met my friend....I'm not going to name drop anyone here....I'll PM you his name.
So forget the personal tour...unless you are really interested...sounds like you'd already know your way around. He started off doing hair and fabric (animation) about
20 years ago now for Sony Image Works before moving on to Anibrain.

Sorry I misunderstood you on the first part....I was only talking speed....did not mean to offend you at all.

You've seen it first hand...I got a brief look. Most people don't have a clue how complex and all consuming it can be to create an animated feature or even just special effects.

Personally I'm more interested in utility/longevity of the equipment. I'd rather not drop 5k on a TV and have it break in 3 years. I should be moving into a house sometime next year; when I do I plan on shopping for something called a "digital signage display" to use as a television. Its basically a TV with no speakers that's designed to be installed in a store and run 16 hours a day, 7 days a week non-stop for 5+ years. I figure with moderate use I should be able to get ~10 years out of one of those. 80" is my target but I've seen them as large as 92" for a good price.

Sounds like a good plan. 75-80 sounds perfect. I'm not even using 4K monitors for my computer....still using dual ASUS 24" LED's that have been going strong since 2008

no I don't use it
So....just Handbrake or Vidcoder?
Both work good and you can adjust just about anything....but the AI models beginning to come out do a really good job also...but don't offer much input
for fine tuning.

Sounds like a good plan. 75-80 sounds perfect. I'm not even using 4K monitors for my computer....still using dual ASUS 24" LED's that have been going strong since 2008

If you do start looking at a 4k computer screen, make sure to get one that's at least 43". Any smaller and you loose the advantages the resolution offers. Also be sure to check your software first - if you're still using older programs some of them may not scale correctly without a little nudging.

I do not think 4K will be the norm for a very long time, and right now it is the top line of the movie company's revenue, and I think if we infringe upon that they will be even more troublesome than they are already, I for one enjoy the movies as they are but, I doubt 4K downloads of movies will be here for a very long time. We do not support 4K, maybe sometime in the distant future.:(
I thought the whole point of being headquartered in Belize was to not have to care about what a bunch of US movie studios think. A more obvious explanation is that 4K streaming usually utilizes per-device keys, and each device (and by extension its device key) can only be bound to a single account at any given moment in time (with restrictions on how often the account can be changed etc). So, it's impossible for RedFox to provide 4K download functionality in AnyStream unless they buy a "burner" streaming box for every AnyStream license they sell (so they can extract its device key and give it to AnyStream).

The technical details are of course complicated, but the gist of the story is that 4K streaming in most services requires a "device key" unique to that particular device to serve as a "root-of-trust".

So, the most realistic path for 4K download functionality in AnyStream is to adopt a "bring your own device key" approach (with the appropriate warnings that if the device key is banned by the streaming service for whatever reason, the streaming box it was extracted from will never be able to stream 4K or even lower resolutions ever again). Oh, and extracting the device key from a streaming box is not a simple affair either.

Last edited:
We already have 4K in MAX and Hulu. Enough said.
Hulu and MAX are notable for being the only of the big streaming services that don't require a "device key" (aka their DRM requirements for 4K are the same as the ones for 1080p).

Hulu and MAX are notable for being the only of the big streaming services that don't require a "device key" (aka their requirements for 4K are the same for 1080p).
Okay thanks for that information. Good night.

There are many Video Capture Cards (even on Amazon). Many are low priced even lower then $50 and most capture HDMI 1080p. The most expensive devices can capture 4K while most others allow only 4K passthough. One huge difference between these capture devices and Anystream Plus is that they only copy the video from devices in real time like a DVR or screen copy. They do not download so a 2 hour movie will take two hours. Most must be connected to computers with USB 3.0 for storage while some use Flash Drives. Many people use these devices to record games from game systems or to broadcast video to the web using OBS software.

Is anyone else having this problem when trying to download 4K videos on AS from Youtube?
Most of the videos labeled 4k can only be downloaded in 1080p. The 4K download option is not available.

Is anyone else having this problem when trying to download 4K videos on AS from Youtube?
Most of the videos labeled 4k can only be downloaded in 1080p. The 4K download option is not available.
Yes, 4K was only a bonus, 1080p is prevalent on most films. The 4K is only good on the Screensaver downloads of fish and wildlife.

I'll just thank the team that does a great job, and we as people will never be satisfied, I'm satisfied with 1080p and that the program works perfectly if I can download a movie in 2160p, I'm super satisfied, but again, if it weren't for hardworking programmers, we wouldn't have 10p nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back