• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

File Size increased?

King_Pin

Just curious and this is NOT a complaint as I prefer higher quality larger files but has anyone noticed file downloads on AP are much larger lately?
I was getting on average 2-4gb files now everything is 7-10gb's.

Either way Bravo Redfox Team! :coolman:

Not really, I haven't noticed anything off.
But can you tell us what exactly do you mean? Movies or series?

Not really, I haven't noticed anything off.
But can you tell us what exactly do you mean? Movies or series?
Movies.
I started noticing after the previous update dl's taking longer but I also noticed file sizes were 2-3x larger.
Maybe it's just me.

Movies.
I started noticing after the previous update dl's taking longer but I also noticed file sizes were 2-3x larger.
Maybe it's just me.
Nope its not just you, I had an 11GB movie, not a special one either, it was from Starz. It was 1920X1080p with the top sound quality but I thought 11GBs was a bit too much. I think they are giving us CBR on some videos instead of VBR, which are better to watch and the files are regular size. Every time it happens to me, it's from Amazon.

Last edited:
Nope its not just you, I had an 11GB movie, not a special one either, it was from Starz. It was 1920X1080p with the top sound quality but I thought 11GBs was a bit too much. I think they are giving us CBR on some videos instead of VBR, which are better to watch and the files are regular size. Every time it happens to me, it's from Amazon.

Awesome! I had a feeling cause I just looked back in movie history now and files are definitely much larger.
As an example I just dl'ed 1954 Godzilla. B&W 1080p 90 minutes 9.5gb. LOL

Ever since I have been pulling titles with AS from AP the file sizes were about 9-11GB. In fact they have recently started to get smaller at 4-5GB. That is very recent though.

It's Amazon and their CBR files with filler.

What do you mean by 'filler'? Is Amazon adding or doing something in particular to make these files large or do you just mean filler as in a side effect of CBR's inefficient use of bitrate? Just curious. Thanks.

side effect of CBR's inefficient use of bitrate
Yes, CBR is not optimal for storing data as it may not allocate enough data for complex sections (resulting in degraded quality); and if it maximizes quality for complex sections, it will waste data on simple sections.

Last edited:
Another datapoint, I'm in the midst of the series Mad Men on AP. Started out as usual d/l'ing 1080p but each hour episode is 5+/- GB, dropped it down to 720p and they're at 1.5+/-.
470GB for the 7 seasons or 140ish. RF1 channeled me, 1/2 TB for just one show, not happening, wife will be fine with 720p lol.

Another datapoint, I'm in the midst of the series Mad Men on AP. Started out as usual d/l'ing 1080p but each hour episode is 5+/- GB, dropped it down to 720p and they're at 1.5+/-.
470GB for the 7 seasons or 140ish. RF1 channeled me, 1/2 TB for just one show, not happening, wife will be fine with 720p lol.

That kinda stinks. I got the whole series a while ago...all in 1080P at a total of 235GB. About 2.5GB each episode.

Maybe it will change back again in the near future

If you have the time, patience, and computer power, you could download the large 1080p files then re-encode them to stay 1080p but with a lower bitrate using a slower/efficient method. This may result in files that are higher quality than the 720p versions whilst having similar sizes.

What is happening here?
First people whine about not getting CBR...
Now it is available (or seems that way) and people complain about too big files?
:rolleyes: :banghead: :(

BTW: reencoding with NVENC takes a fraction of time the CPU need, all you need is an Nvidia Graphics card of the RTX or GTX1660 series.
I just did a 55min episode in about 8 minutes in 1080p resulting in half the size.

What is happening here?
Now it is available (or seems that way) and people complain about too big files?

BTW: reencoding with NVENC takes a fraction of time the CPU need, all you need is an Nvidia Graphics card of the RTX or GTX1660 series.
I just did a 55min episode in about 8 minutes in 1080p resulting in half the size.

Customer needs/wants are always bi-polar (or varied) in any industry. Which is a primary reason why retail success ain't easy.

What is happening here?

I am happy someone else besides me realized that.;)

Posted by Cartman0208
reencoding with NVENC takes a fraction of time the CPU need, all you need is an Nvidia Graphics card of the RTX or GTX1660 series.
This is so true, the NVENC.dll does it all, and it doesn't matter whether you have a powerful Nvidia card or an older one, just as long as it has the NVENC.dll in the software.

What is your preferred program to do the reencode with out of the multitude? I've only had to reencode blurays of mine but have never taken a streamed file to redo it. The nvidia card I've got, 1660ti. I may try a few. Thanks btw it finished up overnight, the #'s are in 144GB all 7 seasons 98ES at 720p

What is happening here?
FYI - not complaining about wanting CBR files and then not liking the resultant size, in this case the 1080p and 720p are both VBR. It's just a notably big difference between like 3.5x that was odd

Back