• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

AnyDVD DVD rips processed with handbrake on Plex

DQ

So has anyone seen this before? I rip a DVD with AnyDVD like I typically do with Handbrake. When I first go to play it in Plex it looks fine. But if I pause it and come back to it there are black bars on the sides and the picture is "compressed" in how it is displayed.

I get this only sometimes and only on DVD rips. It has never happened with a BD.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

So has anyone seen this before? I rip a DVD with AnyDVD like I typically do with Handbrake. When I first go to play it in Plex it looks fine. But if I pause it and come back to it there are black bars on the sides and the picture is "compressed" in how it is displayed.

I get this only sometimes and only on DVD rips. It has never happened with a BD.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks
I am pretty sure it has something to do with the resolution on the playback software, but please don't quote me on that I am not sure anymore I have not burned a disc in 5 years.:(

I am pretty sure it has something to do with the resolution on the playback software, but please don't quote me on that I am not sure anymore I have not burned a disc in 5 years.:(

Well I figure it has to be plex hosing it up since it plays it fine initially but then later screws it up. I am just not sure why or how to solve it.

Check if the plex server is transcoding the video and/ or audio when that happens.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Ah, good idea.

Another interesting point to this is. Once you pause and go back is when it looks compressed. But if you start from the beginning it looks normal again.

That suggests transcoding which is why I suggested it. Check both at initial playback and then when it starts acting up. It should be different.

That suggests transcoding which is why I suggested it. Check both at initial playback and then when it starts acting up. It should be different.

Looks like it's direct stream. It's transcoding the audio of course but not the video I do not believe.
  • STREAM
    Transcode (Throttled)
  • CONTAINER
    Converting (MKV MKV)
  • VIDEO
    Direct Stream (HEVC 480p)
  • AUDIO
  • Transcode (AC3 Stereo AAC Stereo)

EDIT - Just noticed I had encoded it 265, will recode to 264 and see if it acts different.

Reencoded in 264 but Plex would not read it at all then for some reason. Found that a bit odd as it played on my PC just fine.

But it is transcoding when playing back so when you move around in the video, you lose the cached transcoded stream. So yes, that's what's causing it.

Is it possible that PLEX is actually using the wrong DAR ( display aspect ratio) after the pause?
Are you using the DVD rip as 1:1 or compressed in PLEX?

He's reencoding to HEVC. Which is going to play nasty with some Plex clients if ANY transcoding has to be done (including audio, as an example). Plex isn't as straight forward as people would like it to be.

He's reencoding to HEVC. Which is going to play nasty with some Plex clients if ANY transcoding has to be done (including audio, as an example). Plex isn't as straight forward as people would like it to be.
Right.
When re-encoding DVDs one must make sure that DAR / PAR / and SAR are retained or resize to 1:1
Don't know if handbreak does that.
If DQ could post a mediainfo log it might help determine the cause of the problem

Just used Vidcoder (it uses the Handbrake engine) to do a DVD.
Played, paused and played just fine.
Used MPC-HC
However this does not mean that Handbrake retains all the correct info.
Perhaps plex prefers SAR 1:1 on mp4 / mkv files

You can't compare plex playback to literally ANYTHING else. It's...um....unique. And by no means perfect. And also depends on the client's capabilities. That's why these kinds of issues are a pain in the ass to debug. If everything worked as well as MPC-HC the world would be a better place. LOL

I am with Samur here, I think it's Plex hosing it post a pause and probably because I had it in 265. I actually did not realize I had used 265 it was an accident. Meant to use 264.

What device are you playing on?
I have the Plex app running on my samsung TV, my Samsung phone and my Windows PC ... everything fine with direct stream.
I must admit though, I did not convert a DVD for a along time, BluRay is the minimum.
BUT I have noticed some other devices having trouble with AAC audio, thats why I always recode to AC3.
From your info above I'm not certain if it's AAC or AC3 in the file.

What device are you playing on?
I have the Plex app running on my samsung TV, my Samsung phone and my Windows PC ... everything fine with direct stream.
I must admit though, I did not convert a DVD for a along time, BluRay is the minimum.
BUT I have noticed some other devices having trouble with AAC audio, thats why I always recode to AC3.
From your info above I'm not certain if it's AAC or AC3 in the file.

I run my Plex app on Roku's. This happens on all of them it seems.

When I encode I always put at least 2 streams of audio. In this case AC3 to AAC stereo and then AC3 passed through.

It's just odd I can play it from beginning and its fine but a pause and come back later will hose up the screen ratio.

I still say it has to do with transcoding and caching somehow. Plex is not without bugs unfortunately.

I still say it has to do with transcoding and caching somehow. Plex is not without bugs unfortunately.

Not at all. But it's pretty stable, however it does cause me some grief once in awhile. But you can throw most anything at it and it handles it so it's worth dealing with the occasional issue in my mind.

Yea no question on that. I have it running on my synology NAS and use it quite a bit. Though I just rebuilt my non-working HTPC so I'm using it less now that I have a 3080 for upscaling. :)

Back