• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

ElbyCDIO 6.1.2.0 driver update

Guess i'll leave it OFF then to avoid any compatibility issues. I knew when i first read about it that it was gonna be a pain for developers but this is ridiculous. You'd almost have to build a software check or something to find out if it was an "upgraded" OS or a "clean" install and carry 2 drivers in the setup. (If such a thing is even possible). Elby's going to be pissed to put it mildly

The way around this is to figure out how they "determine" that it's an upgraded install vs a clean one and...."replicate the results" on a clean install. COUGH COUGH. ;)

Guess i'll leave it OFF then to avoid any compatibility issues. I knew when i first read about it that it was gonna be a pain for developers but this is ridiculous. You'd almost have to build a software check or something to find out if it was an "upgraded" OS or a "clean" install and carry 2 drivers in the setup. (If such a thing is even possible). Elby's going to be pissed to put it mildly
No, you just let Microsoft sign drivers for you, and it will work on all Windows 10 versions. (Client only, of course ... Windows Server needs WHQL drivers, I believe)
Unfortunately these drivers won't work on older Windows versions, so you'll have to deploy different drivers for anything before Windows 10.

The way around this is to figure out how they "determine" that it's an upgraded install vs a clean one and...."replicate the results" on a clean install. COUGH COUGH. ;)
If you have an idea, let me know... :whistle:

Ugh, total developing nightmare. Thats an even worse move than adding UAC back in vista days. They barely manage to put out updates that don't bork windows itself and they're forcing you to issue driver updates through them too. Don't they have enough work already? I'm guessing there's something in the registry that states it's an "upgrade" windows vs clean one, or some specific windows file.

There has to be something that seperates/identifies the 2. All the best to Elby & James to find out WHAT that something is ^^

I do remember seeing stories about Microsoft doing this last year but given that I had not run into anything about it finally actually being enforced I didn't think anything of it and since I was just building a new system and doing a clean install I was trying to make my life easier rather than installing Windows 10 and then having to do big updates. Silly me. o_O

Edit: I also didn't really think about Secure Boot which was enabled by default on my ASUS motherboard. I updated to the latest BIOS before doing anything else.

Last edited:
Hmm, so your OS says, that the certificate is ok, but refuses to load the driver with "invalid signature" error. This is puzzling. I understand the Windows 10 & secure boot problem Drinky has, but I have no clue, why it fails on Windows 7 x64.
Anything special about your setup? All Windows updates (service pack) installed? UEFI Bios & secure boot?
Only thing I could imagine is, that the kernel doesn't understand SHA256 signatures, I don't think the original Windows 7 does. But Microsoft has added this with an update:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3033929
No I haven't done any Windows updates for a little bit. But I'm sure I have the service packs though. Will check it when I get home.
As far as the bios/secure boot stuff. I have no idea about this. All I can say is that it has the factory settings & O/S installed. Would an AnyDvDHD sys information logfile for it help you out.

If you have an idea, let me know... :whistle:

I wish I did. I've got to imagine there's some mechanism that allows pre-creator update that's upgraded to creator update to work with the drivers signed the "old" way while a clean install wouldn't have such a mechanism. To me that seems potentially possible that it's some kind of registry thing that it checks. I'm simply speculating here. Something about the update process must leave some kind of signature that the driver signing mechanism checks to see if it's valid. I just don't know what that'd be.

Ugh, total developing nightmare. Thats an even worse move than adding UAC back in vista days. They barely manage to put out updates that don't bork windows itself and they're forcing you to issue driver updates through them too. Don't they have enough work already? I'm guessing there's something in the registry that states it's an "upgrade" windows vs clean one, or some specific windows file.

There has to be something that seperates/identifies the 2. All the best to Elby & James to find out WHAT that something is ^^

Yea, that's what I was thinking...some registry entry or something that tells it that it's been upgraded. Hell, maybe just adding a windows.old dir. LMAO

Drink, wanna test something for me? Add this registry entry and see if the driver works with secure boot....I doubt it, but, I'm curious.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade add a string key named "DownLevelBuildNumber" and give it a value of 10.0.15058. Reboot after that and see if that allows it to work. I SERIOUSLY doubt it, but, it's worth a shot.

Drink, wanna test something for me? Add this registry entry and see if the driver works with secure boot....I doubt it, but, I'm curious.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Upgrade add a string key named "DownLevelBuildNumber" and give it a value of 10.0.15058. Reboot after that and see if that allows it to work. I SERIOUSLY doubt it, but, it's worth a shot.

No dice, as expected.

I am pretty sure, this is the cause for the problem. Install the updates, and it will work.

No, I am pretty sure it is the SHA256 cert.
Will do any critical updates when I get back to my PC.
And let you know what it does then.

No dice, as expected.

I figured, but, it was worth a shot. I think it's going to require a couple more keys. One is in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

There's an Upgrade dword that needs to be set. Mine's set to 0. Then I believe the Source OS (Updated on mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss) key has to be there, as well. And there's a bunch of stuff on those. I've got like 10 of those on my laptop.

I figured, but, it was worth a shot. I think it's going to require a couple more keys. One is in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

There's an Upgrade dword that needs to be set. Mine's set to 0. Then I believe the Source OS (Updated on mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss) key has to be there, as well. And there's a bunch of stuff on those. I've got like 10 of those on my laptop.
Don't worry. In the end, we'll all have to do what the "powers, that be" (Microsoft) demand. The real annoyance is, that drivers signed by Microsoft won't run on unpatched Windows Vista and Windows 7 boxes (nebostrangla), as they use a SHA256 cert, of course.
To make everything work for anybody, you'll have to have a driver set(32/64bit) signed by Microsoft and another set signed with a SHA-1 certificate. Until Microsoft decides to block SHA-1 signed drivers in Windows 7 or 8. Unlikely, but ...

Don't worry. In the end, we'll all have to do what the "powers, that be" (Microsoft) demand. The real annoyance is, that drivers signed by Microsoft won't run on unpatched Windows Vista and Windows 7 boxes (nebostrangla), as they use a SHA256 cert, of course.
To make everything work for anybody, you'll have to have a driver set(32/64bit) signed by Microsoft and another set signed with a SHA-1 certificate. Until Microsoft decides to block SHA-1 signed drivers in Windows 7 or 8. Unlikely, but ...
Oh, btw, Windows 10 based servers (Windows Server 2016?) will only accept WHQL approved drivers. No AnyDVD, Virtual CloneDrive, ... on Windows Server anymore ...

Oh, btw, Windows 10 based servers (Windows Server 2016?) will only accept WHQL approved drivers. No AnyDVD, Virtual CloneDrive, ... on Windows Server anymore ...

Well ain't that delightful. Thanks, MS. I get it, they're trying to protect us and given what's happening around the world as we speak, that's probably not a bad thing. Nonetheless, it leaves advanced users out in the cold. Android is taking a similar path lately in the name of security. Very difficult balance.

Thank you for testing. Guess what, on my test machine secure boot is enabled and it works. The reason probably is, the machine shipped with original Windows 10 and was updated all the way to creators version.
In this case, driver signing requirements are less strict (for "compatibility reasons"). Hell, Microsoft, how are developers supposed to test this? I can't even use a VM, because this doesn't offer secure boot. :(

Glad to help (?). In my quest to make things more simple I made them more complex. Isn't that always how it works out?

Regardless, in the grand scheme of things, it's good that you did post the updated driver as a standalone in the forums. Otherwise, it could have been a much bigger unexpected mess when the next program update went out using the newer driver and had people updating en masse.

Back