• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Problem with Disks Playing (Bug Report)

Majestic 12

Problem:
Certain backed up disk titles will not play on an Xbox 360. The problem is when a disk is burned with Clonedvd and AnyDVD it trys to load and doesnt. It looks as if it darkens to play a movie but doesnt go to a title screen nor any other screen. When you hit any controller buttons you hear the tones as if a menu should pop up (the Xbox Menus) but it never shows on screen. Only pressing the eject button gets your system back to normal but the title backed up will always do this even when retried. Tried with Movie only and with full backup with same results. This may be a result of CloneDVD but Im placing it here first so if it needs to be moved an admin can move this post.

How Ive solved the problem: I backed up to hard disk with DVDShrink then proceeded to use Shrink to backup Movie Only.

Titles of Disks Having the Problems:
Ironman 2
Last Airbender
***Seems to be the disks with the 30+ 0.0 MB Files in them***

Versions of Products:
Anydvd 6.7.3.0 and 6.7.3.2 beta
CloneDVD2 2.9.2.8
DVDShrink
DVD Decryptor

System Specs used to Backup:
Various systems and Various specs all with up to date drivers. Everything from regular DVD recorders to Blueray Recorders. This same procedure was tried on 6 different systems same results.

Log Files:
None since the system thinks it has done it successful with no errors. Also since it will work in Computers and Regular DVD players (Samsung) it may not be a simple logged Problem.

Notes:
Before anyone states "well you did it so whats the problem" or even worse "Just use ____ other program" I paid for Clonedvd and Anydvd to work not have to do the typical jump through hoops using 12 different programs.

Am I mad? ...Heck no. Im just heading off the "12 step and 30 different program" posters and helping the admins and developers of CloneDVD and AnyDVD fix a problem they may or may not know about.

I need this program to backup my disks fully with menus and all not just movie only. So if the solved problem will be "Movie Only" lets keep working and I'll help where I can. Just ask.

Last im not the type to just post "Hey fix this" and disappear. I will help try different things for any who are "Admins" and not the regular Armchair poster. If as an admin you want me to try another Backing up program to test structures I will help where I can as long as it wont end with "OK so this other program works use this one instead." think of me a bit of a loyalist to what I purchased.

Any help I can give in fixing this bug Let me know.

Majestic 12

With such an elaborate post you'd figure you would be capable of reading the stickies.

more specifically this one Have problems? Please answer these questions when posting, or risk being ignored.

Without a logfile we can't help you. It doesnt matter if the rip or dvd clone was successful. We need a logfile from anydvd and preferably one with a problematic disc inside the drive.

Which of the 6 would you like or just anyone of them from any of the machines?

I decided to use this rig Im posting on and also to Restart the process to give an Up to date Log. Post of log will be redone in 45 minutes or so depending on the transfer.

Iwill be ripping to Harddisk first posting this log and backing up to a disk and post that one in the same response.

As for the being ignored you seem to love to post in topics like this so I knew youd at least post even if it is to see the log or risk being ignored ;)

Yes im ribbing you..

Anyhow Post to come

Post Log of Transfer to Harddisk:

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.7.3.0_Info_F_THE_LAST_AIRBENDER.zip
    321.4 KB · Views: 9
To be honest dont know if I did it right. Let me know what else you need Ch3vr0n.

from the anydvd status log.

Drive (Hardware) Region: 0 (not set!)

You need to set your drive's hardware region to the one you're in. Not having your drives region set can result in anydvd having extreme difficulty to even failing to successfully or completely decrypt a disc. Exit Anydvd completely, go into device manager and set your drives region, relaunch anydvd and try again to decrypt. all should work now.

Just a note. Any time Anydvd reports a disc to have structural protection you need to use the built in anydvd ripper on the disc PRIOR to feeding the video_ts folder to DVDshrink. On the other side you can use CloneDVD2 wich does not suffer from this effect.

Also if you're a registered user, i'd strongly recommend to update to the latest beta being 6.7.3.2 and about the last airbender. See another stickie http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=44203

Last edited:
Well as for regieon the other rig does have it set as well as 4 others ive used.

As for using CloneDVD2 ...thats what im using it just so happens to work with Shrink and not Clone.

These statements were answered in the post you told me would be ignored ;)

Im still thinking it may be on the CloneDVD side and not the AnyDVD since it worked Via Shrink and not Clone. Lastly I have backed up quite a number of disks on this rig as well and its only shown its head with these few title. ALSO when it does it on my main set rig I use thhis one "To make sure" its a problem and not just a random "I dont like this burning drive".

I will set this Region on this drive but this still doesnt stop the fact it happens on the other rigs which are set.

Lastly as ive stated Ive used both the beta and the regular. It just so happens this rig I didnt give the Beta version to and realized after the fact someone may say "Update to beta" but was hoping that my Original post was read through not just skimmed.

--------------

Now back to this. So even if the region is set and im using beta up to date then what would be the next step to try or to test out?

Remember Im using Clonedvd2 and Anydvd so the other idea of "Rebuilding" isnt needed. Or is it?

Let me know

Would you like a log file from a Rig with all those parameters (That yes ive tried it with 6.7.3.2 and a set region code dvd drive) met to make it so you know im not just pulling your leg? It will take a couple minutes but Ill make one

Just to do it I went to the Drive to set the Region. It was already set to Region 1.

Wonder if something else in the Program is going wrong. Im going to make a log file with a disk I knew backed up well on this rig and see what it says. Hopefully its not a Program issue. That would be a good Bug find thats for sure.

Log file From Computer with disk That backed up fine. also from the same one. It shows no region code even though it is set.

This picture shows that the region is set:

REMEMBER: The disks work in anything but an XBox 360 (Dont have a PS3 to try) So error codes normally show and the disk has problems. If I didnt have this disk try to play in a 360 I wouldnt have even known there was a problem. Also this was repeated in several different computers. All of which had region codes and most were updated with 6.7.3.2beta. BTW Twilight Saga: Eclipse Worked fine backing up on one of the same rigs having the problem so I know the drivers and Beta are Up to Date.

Sorry for my posts being Long but I try to answer all questions in one shot.

So any other Ideas

Attachments

• Region.jpg
    Region.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 8
  • AnyDVD_6.7.3.0_Info_F_FAST_AND_FURIOUS.zip
    85.5 KB · Views: 4
You need to EXIT AnyDVD entirely to set the regions code for real.

There is no known bug. Those are very popular titles - if they were not handled properly AnyDVD would have been updated within hours of the knowledge on an issue.

BUT - Since this is unique to playback on XBOX-360 - it may be hard to determine why (or IF) it's an issue worth persuing - only the developers (James and Peer) can make that call.

AnyDVD and CloneDVD are known to work with both titles you have an issue with.
Make sure AnyDVD is set to defaults and your region code is properly set.

AnyDVD and DVDShrink are also known to work with both titles - providing you use the AnyDVD "rip video DVD to folder" feature first - then import that rip into DVDShrink. I did them myself this way.

There could be an authoring error on both of those disks that is somehow passing through ALL the software, and somehow pissing off the XBox - but not a DVD player.

-W

Last edited:
Makes sense the last part since I did get them to work Via Shrink. Im just hoping that its something small and an easy fix. Also as stated I want Clone and Any to work flawlessly since they are very respectable programs that are paid for.

Even if small still quite a few people use an Xbox 360 to replay disks. It would be poor to have a free program do what a paid (CloneDVD2) can not. In all honesty I came on to bug shoot for the programs. In all honesty I can do the multiple program tango if need be but I think they would at least want a heads up.

As for this new interesting problem of the region code not showing (It was set before I didnt need to set it did it anyways restarted and its still showing) I'll try to see if I can duplicate this with any other rigs before posting. It may just be a hardware error.

IF James and Peer want to pursue this Just shoot me an email or post I guess but if its not a concern then hey its your ballgame anyways.

Let me know what youd like to try also if you want me to hit up my other computers to show logs from those doing the same thing only fully updated to beta.

To Ch3vr0n and Clams - Thanks for the help so far. To bad the end result is using Shrink and not CloneDVD2 from what I see. This is bad news for a program trying to be "Paid" for when the one that works is Freeware. Even if it is just being a bad guy for Xbox360s and maybe PS3s (Need to try it out on this)

You should change your Booktype to DVD-ROM.

Majestic, was your issue resolved? Because I had the same issue with Iron Man 2, never got it to work.

And now I'm having the same issue with Dinner for Schmucks, it will back it up but won't play on my Xbox 360.

Thanks.

Nagh not resolved since none really had a fix except to spout the standard carbon copy responses. I did get mine to backup with tricks to be movie only but not what I wanted which was full disk. Since I will be buying Dinner with Schmucks in the morning I will be able to test it out again.

Im thinking more and more its a combo issue with Clonedvd2 and AnyDVD Maybe more on the clone side. What is your backup program or are you only using AnyDVD?

Reason Im asking is most here just give the standard talking points (IE Update Drive, Region Codes, Up to date software, yada yada) if thats not the problem or doesnt fix it and also if its not a real problem for them they shrug it off. Im still trying to figure it out. With you now I can find out more on this problem since quite a few people do use Xboxes to play their DVDs.

Just need to know:
Whats your backup program

This should cover it. with this I'll try to whittle it down.

Nagh not resolved since none really had a fix except to spout the standard carbon copy responses. I did get mine to backup with tricks to be movie only but not what I wanted which was full disk. Since I will be buying Dinner with Schmucks in the morning I will be able to test it out again.

Im thinking more and more its a combo issue with Clonedvd2 and AnyDVD Maybe more on the clone side. What is your backup program or are you only using AnyDVD?

Reason Im asking is most here just give the standard talking points (IE Update Drive, Region Codes, Up to date software, yada yada) if thats not the problem or doesnt fix it and also if its not a real problem for them they shrug it off. Im still trying to figure it out. With you now I can find out more on this problem since quite a few people do use Xboxes to play their DVDs.

Just need to know:

Are you compressing to a DVD +/- R or just making a back-up to a DVD +R DL?

You used the "Rip video to harddisk" option in AnyDVD then used that ripped folder to use in Shrink. Did you use the same ripped folder as the input for CloneDVD or did you have it done "on the fly"?

Last edited:
I am a movie buff and have about 300 titles and all are backed up (Yes I know some have more. Its just this many for me and im more then most people I know)

The problem isnt media nor how the compression is done since all the other movies but the ones stated are done the exact same way and are fine. Just these few movies.

The only time they will play is when backed up Via non-clonedvd2 AND only movie only for the XBox 360. If I take the same fully backed up disk with CloneDVD2 and play it in a regular DVD player system it plays fine. Just the Xbox giving the problem as if it doesnt read the disk. It will try but nothing ever happens. I dont have a PS3 to test it on so only the Xbox 360 for sure(Also tried it on multiple Xboxes {6 different ones with different drives and updates}).

With it being fine on dvd players im thinking it being clone but also may be a type of encryption or protection that is overlooked since the vast majority of players wont have this problem and more important things will be tackled first understandably.

Hopefully this wont become a problem that is worked on to further to other media players when this is discovered by the copyright teams as "working".

Its also I will add not a big deal to some but if this was a kids DVD that had the mini games in the menus some kids may be upset by it (Or maybe even some adults ;) ) When they cant use menus since they only use a Game system as a player and it had to be MO.

To answer the question asked though I have tried it with both +/- and single/dual as well as a mix of those same combos of disks.

Im the type that most the time can solve my own problems but this one was intriguing to me and I was trying to help the team out by giving my 2 cents to the community of something discovered. Now with another poster having the same problem Im thinking it may need more then a scan over and shrug and time to solve (then again they are busy).

My thing is if its AnyDVD or CloneDVD2. Im thinking more to CloneDVD2 but then again Im not as good with the program as the guys who built it so they could tell me who to best turn the attention to.

Just need to know:

I use both, AnyDVD and CloneDVD. I insert the disc, wait for AnyDVD to remove everything and then open CloneDVD.

The only way I got DfS to work was to copy it without menus/previews.

I to had the problem and solved it the same way which is not the way I want to backup my investments. So for now "Movie Only" is the choice we must use. (Wonder how many think in there eyes this solves the problem ::LOL:: )

I now see one thing in common with all three movies:

Paramount Pictures

Seems it has to be something in the copyright of the disks so Im moving back from thinking "CloneDVD2" and back to "AnyDVD". Also I dont really have any Lower budget films for "Paramount" to test to see if its only the high dollar they are sticking it on.

Reason I also moved from thinking its not CloneDVD fault is even shrink isnt doing much except Movie only.

For the TL : DR fans:

For those who didnt read this whole thread all The movies work fine fully backed up on DVD players or Computers but not XBox 360s. I still have yet to try a PS3.

Movies which need to be "Movie Only" for them to work in the 360:

Ironman 2
Dinner With Schmucks
Last Airbender

Yes we tried:
-Different Systems (^ types)
-Different OSes
-Different Media (Names Sizes Layers Formats)
-Ripping to HDD First
-On The Fly
-Updated Hardware
-Different Xbox 360s and Different Updated types including most up to date and one which never has been
-Disks work when fully backed up on regular players and Computers
-Me and Batman are not the only two I Have gotten emails since Ive posted if it was solved and frustrations. Also yes I tried to get them to join the forums to post but they seem to not want to if im not getting help ::me sighs and shrugs:: )

For those who didnt read this whole thread all The movies work fine fully backed up on DVD players or Computers but not XBox 360s.

I might be wrong... but I'd bet it's an XBox 360 thing - the way it (Xbox) handles certain DVD structures.

-W

Back