• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is kind of a tough question, but what are your realease plans first or second half of 2009? :bowdown:
February. :D

Okay, that was a joke. Sorry, I don't know. But I hope it will be this year.

Yeah, what a disaster if the DTS-HD and Dolby TruHD lamps never glow on your receiver. You paid for them, so they *have to* burn, at least once in a while!

Just cover them with a piece of tape, so you won't know if they are on or off. :D

Well, if Slyplayer won't do true bitstreaming, I won't pay for it as it would be a step back from my current situation.
As simple as that, for me at least :D

That's the plan.

Will do. "Bit exact" if wanted (bypassing Windows mixer). It will have ReClock's functionality included. It will be possible to watch PAL DVDs with the correct speed (24fps instead if 25).
It will have subtitle placement for CIH setups. Maybe even setting color / transparency of subtitles.

Me neither. ;) Seriously, if I can make it work, I'll do it. Might be very hardware dependent (meaning non workie with ATI HDMI).

Well. cough. UI design isn't exactly our strength. So don't expect everything to be "skinnable". And we won't have a picture of a smiling girl. Maybe the picture of our CEO?

slysoftceo.gif
:D

And it will play Java BDs ... without Java, if you want (I do... I can't stand this crap). Just select "play the movie" ... and it plays. Without having to watch Fox's "bullshit counter" first.

All in all, it will be a player designed for the serious home theater enthusiast.

I think I have a man-crush on you. You just saved me about $150 and a valuable PCI port (Xonar HDAV slim). I had almost given up on decoding in the PC because of all the BS mapping/decoding trouble.

By the way I love the non-Java thing. But how will the menus work? Just context menus with titles/chapters? (That'll do... screw UI.)

In view of Slyplayer coming eventually, can you at least advise me as to whether I should buy the Asus 1.3 card or the upcoming Azuntech card?
Thanks

This is what the bitstreaming guys aren't considering. If the player doesn't molest the hell out of the audio, "bit exact" as you call it, it will sound the same as bitstreaming.
Certainly. However, there might be concerns about added jitter with LPCM transmission. I don't share these concerns. (But I don't "believe" in liquid cooled speaker cables and esoteric 1000$ power cords either)

Anyway, if I can manage to add bitstreaming without much trouble, I'll do so. It just isn't my top priority. :D

I think I have a man-crush on you. You just saved me about $150 and a valuable PCI port (Xonar HDAV slim). I had almost given up on decoding in the PC because of all the BS mapping/decoding trouble.
Yeah, send me the $150 instead. :D

(I'm joking)
By the way I love the non-Java thing. But how will the menus work? Just context menus with titles/chapters? (That'll do... screw UI.)
Don't know if it will be in context menus, or a list/treeview (easier to handle with a remote), but basically, yes. Maybe listed in playback time order (longest first, like CloneDVD), so the first one will (usually) be the movie.

Last edited:
Certainly. However, there might be concerns about added jitter with LPCM transmission. I don't share these concerns. (But I don't "believe" in liquid cooled speaker cables and esoteric 1000$ power cords either)

Anyway, if I can manage to add bitstreaming without much trouble, I'll do so. It just isn't my top priority. :D

I don't share those concerns, either. Bit exact LPCM is more than adequate. I still don't get why people can't figure out that DTS-HD MA and TrueHD *MUST* be decoded into...wait for it...dramatic pause....LPCM at some point in the process. What exactly do we all think DTS-HD MA and TrueHD ARE? They're compressed LPCM tracks. HDMI has the bandwidth to handle LPCM in all its glory. The only reason to use bitstreaming is if you don't trust the player to do the decoding. I'm quite sure you guys will "get it right". ;) So the whole point is moot anyway.

But yes, if it's easy to get it working, bitstreaming will be a big selling point to the "pretty lights" crowd. :D

In view of Slyplayer coming eventually, can you at least advise me as to whether I should buy the Asus 1.3 card or the upcoming Azuntech card?
Thanks
How about a cheap ATI HDMI graphics card (and you can send me the money you saved? :D )

EDIT:
Seriously, I don't know.

I don't share those concerns, either. Bit exact LPCM is more than adequate. I still don't get why people can't figure out that DTS-HD MA and TrueHD *MUST* be decoded into...wait for it...dramatic pause....LPCM at some point in the process. What exactly do we all think DTS-HD MA and TrueHD ARE? They're compressed LPCM tracks. HDMI has the bandwidth to handle LPCM in all its glory. The only reason to use bitstreaming is if you don't trust the player to do the decoding. I'm quite sure you guys will "get it right". ;) So the whole point is moot anyway.
The thing is, there might be factors outside our control. We can bypass Windows mixer, so the samples will get to the driver of the soundcard unmolested. But beyond this point we don't have control. E.g. if the driver has a hardware mixer, you can change the volume of the sound.
(just FYI, ATI HDMI doesn't)
Not that it matters much, but this wouldn't be "bit exact" anymore.
Bitstreaming (if working) would guarantee that the sound be "bit exact", as nobody can "molest" with it.
(Well, we could decode it, resample it, and re-encode it, har, har... :D )
And while at it, to me "bit exact" doesn't matter much anyway. "Sounds good" does.

E.g. if the driver has a hardware mixer, you can change the volume of the sound.
@SamuriHL:
BTW, did you notice that you can adjust the volume of the PS3 while playing a TruHD audio track? OMG, it isn't "bit exact" anymore! PS3 is the devil!

(And sounds great)

Last edited:
@SamuriHL:
I just noticed that we're a little off-topic. :eek:

The thing is, there might be factors outside our control. We can bypass Windows mixer, so the samples will get to the driver of the soundcard unmolested. But beyond this point we don't have control. E.g. if the driver has a hardware mixer, you can change the volume of the sound.
Not that it matters much, but this wouldn't be "bit exact" anymore.
Bitstreaming (if working) would guarantee that the sound be "bit exact", as nobody can "molest" with it.
(Well, we could decode it, resample it, and re-encode it, har, har... :D )
And while at it, to me "bit exact" doesn't matter much anyway. "Sounds good" does.

Right. I agree. I understand why the bitstreaming people are so adament though. They've had nothing to show them why it's not necessary. When you rely on crap like PowerDVD and to an extent TMT to decode your audio and then have it get molested, well, it's easy to see why they're hung up on bitstreaming. I want it to sound as it was meant to sound. Meaning how the audio engineers who put the track together meant for it to sound. That's it. Bit exact or not, I don't care, as long as it faithfully reproduces the track.

If you guys got licensed up and did everything buy the book you could sell the sell on store shelves and i'm sure to some OEM computer manufacturers, you'd make LOADS of money. You could improve anydvd to remove all the nasties so that slyplayer can play everything without restrictions. Like what you've done with anydvd and clonedvd. You've made clonedvd legit by not allowing aacs protected discs but with anydvd that restriction is gone.

With all that money you'd be able to hire more programmers and have more applications.

Obviously from a selfish point of view i'd love a slyplayer with all restrictions removed, it would be amazing but from your point of view i'd have slyplayer all legit and maybe have it registered under a different company name so that Bluray Association can't block you from getting licensing.

Skipping fbi warnings would be nice on regular dvds as with some playing movies on the fly cant be skipped even with anydvd running, you need to rip them to iso and mount first, so that feature would be very handy.

I reckon you concentrate on bluray and dvd playback rather than .mkv, .avi, .mov etc as vlc and mpc are already great at that.

dxva and cuda support would be nice to help lower the cpu usage.

EDIT: yeah we should probably continue this in a slyplayer thread. Maybe James could make a thread called "Slysoft Slyplayer Coming 2009" and we could use that thread for discussion, maybe have bullet points of what it will do etc.

Last edited:
There, I've moved all the SlyPlayer(tm) posts (the recent ones anyway) to a new thread. No more off topic stuff. :)

Well, if Slyplayer won't do true bitstreaming, I won't pay for it as it would be a step back from my current situation.
As simple as that, for me at least :D
Chances are that it will at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back