• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

SlySoft Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. I have my own issues with TMT and have voiced them in the TMT forum. I like TMT, I do, but, the fact that it doesn't work for so many people speaks volumes. That and I'm having to use a 3 month old video driver because they don't have a new build that works with the 9.x catalyst drivers. Oh, and it's not coming quickly either. Jason said the team is working on other priorities right now. Very disappointing. Also there's no upscaling of DVD's. All of these issues lead me to believe that maybe Webbie isn't wrong...hardware players might be the way to go.

I hold out one last remaining glimmer of hope that SlyPlayer(tm) will FINALLY give us the HD experience we need. Without having to frak around with protection nonsense, they can concentrate on making a player that simply works. Imagine a player that properly decodes HD audio and streams them over HDMI as unmolested LPCM. Maybe they can do bitstreaming, as well, I don't know. But I'll take unmolested LPCM. Imagine a player with reclock built in. Imagine a player with a FUNCTIONAL UI. Imagine a player that's made by a company that has a long history of listening to their customers for improvements. One last hope indeed. :)

I am using catalyst 9.2 with my TMT version. I of course use the version made for the asus HDAV 1.3 and I have a sapphire 4850 x 2 card. No idea if any of this makes a difference, but I wanted to point out that I do have a working 9.x driver with TMT.

Well, if Slyplayer won't do true bitstreaming, I won't pay for it as it would be a step back from my current situation.
As simple as that, for me at least :D

I agree here, If it wouldnt do bitstreaming I would not purchase it. I own almost every product by slysoft. I did pay what I did for my sound system and HTPC not to want the bitstreaming. Unlike others, I can hear the difference in DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, compared to Multichannel PCM.

I am using catalyst 9.2 with my TMT version. I of course use the version made for the asus HDAV 1.3 and I have a sapphire 4850 x 2 card. No idea if any of this makes a difference, but I wanted to point out that I do have a working 9.x driver with TMT.

Consider yourself lucky. TMT 129 retail doesn't work with the 9.x drivers. MPEG playback is completely broken. They're aware and are working on it. It'll get fixed...eventually.

If you guys got licensed up and did everything buy the book you could sell the sell on store shelves and i'm sure to some OEM computer manufacturers, you'd make LOADS of money. You could improve anydvd to remove all the nasties so that slyplayer can play everything without restrictions. Like what you've done with anydvd and clonedvd. You've made clonedvd legit by not allowing aacs protected discs but with anydvd that restriction is gone.
That's the thing... we don't have (and don't want) BD/DVD/HD-DVD/AACS/HDCP/... whatever licenses. Because of this we don't have any documentation (which you only receive as a licensee, and if you are a licensee you *must* implement CSS/Region coding/AACS/HDCP/PAP/bla...).
We've done AnyDVD without *any* official documentation, we can do the same with SlyPlayer.

I reckon you concentrate on bluray and dvd playback rather than .mkv, .avi, .mov etc as vlc and mpc are already great at that.
I don't see any reason why SlyPlayer won't do that right away.

dxva and cuda support would be nice to help lower the cpu usage.
I believe two modes (dxva2 and CPU decoding) will be supported, but I'm not the person responsible for this part. This means that hardware acceleration will only work with Vista & up.

I have no idea if the Mac & Linux ports will have hardware acceleration.

Unlike others, I can hear the difference in DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, compared to Multichannel PCM.
With SlyPlayer you won't. ;)
Anyway, bitstreaming will likely be available at some point.

I truly can't wait to see this thing in action. I'm very very excited.

I truly can't wait to see this thing in action. I'm very very excited.

Man, i'm really out of the loop. I thought all of this was some sort of running joke, but James is sounding really convincing.

Is this for real? When can we expect this player?

Man, i'm really out of the loop. I thought all of this was some sort of running joke, but James is sounding really convincing.

Is this for real? When can we expect this player?

It's for real, and it doesn't have a release date. James said earlier in this thread "HOPEFULLY sometime this year" but that's not guaranteed. Don't forget that Slysoft is working on other highly anticipated programs, as well. :) But the fact that they are serious about working on and releasing a SlyPlayer(tm) is phenomenal. I'm SOOOOO sick of broken players. It's not even funny.

It's for real, and it doesn't have a release date. James said earlier in this thread "HOPEFULLY sometime this year" but that's not guaranteed. Don't forget that Slysoft is working on other highly anticipated programs, as well. :) But the fact that they are serious about working on and releasing a SlyPlayer(tm) is phenomenal. I'm SOOOOO sick of broken players. It's not even funny.

No problem about the date. I'm just stoked that they are really gonna go for it. Any idea how much it might be? I know the price will be reasonable, but my wife and i have decided that we are going to live a credit free life now that we've finally paid off all of our credit card debt.

I WILL buy this, i just need to save for it is all:p

No problem about the date. I'm just stoked that they are really gonna go for it. Any idea how much it might be? I know the price will be reasonable, but my wife and i have decided that we are going to live a credit free life now that we've finally paid off all of our credit card debt.

I don't think they're anywhere's near a decision on price or any of that. I'm quite sure, however, that it'll be worth it no matter how much it costs. :) I've spent several hundred bucks on Cyberlink products in the last 3 years and where did that get me? Yea, I'm incredibly psyched for a SlyPlayer(tm) release. I'm sure as time and development go on we'll get more information about capabilities and price and all that.

Unlike others, I can hear the difference in DTS-HD MA and TrueHD, compared to Multichannel PCM.

With SlyPlayer you won't. ;)

Uh-oh, James. Unless your last name is Randi, and you'd be willing to offer a million dollars to whoever can tell the difference under controlled tests, I wouldn't be telling audiophiles that they won't be able to tell a difference. They ALWAYS DO!

well as long as its cheaper than Powerdvd9, Windvd9 and TMT then everyone will buy this player as it will play everything and play them properly. Would be a mistake imo to charge more than the other 3 big boys.

Would be nice if they had some sort of audio setup section which allowed you to test each speaker for 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 channels to make sure they are all working as there are remarkably few if any apps that do that. Its always handy to make sure that you've configured your audio drivers and amplifier correctly to have that confirmation.

Just if they can get 7.1 DTS-HD MA working on a £30 ati 4350 card, would be SOOOO cheap for a card that can pass perfect sound to an onkyo 606 or similar amp. I'd definately buy an onkyo 606 amp, only reason i havent is that i dont have a £150 soundcard that can send new hd codecs to amp and i really dont wanna have to pay £200 for the auzentech thats coming out soon.

Currently have a 9400GT HDMI card so that i can use CUDA to enable encoding and decoding faster as i encode quite a bit. Ati hasnt released their version of gpu processing api's for people to make use of yet and wont be doing for quite some time unfortunately.

long live slysoft, lets hope the mpaa dont send the cia to poison slysoft's watercooler :p

Last edited:

Sorry, but I have no idea. I don't do pricing. I'm also not certain if the Windows version will need AnyDVD (HD) running. Our marketing people like that ("we can sell two products and make a great reduced bundle price!" ;) ), I prefer SlyPlayer to perform the decryption, too (no need for AnyDVD HD).

Sorry, but I have no idea. I don't do pricing. I'm also not certain if the Windows version will need AnyDVD (HD) running. Our marketing people like that ("we can sell two products and make a great reduced bundle price!" ;) ), I prefer SlyPlayer to perform the decryption, too (no need for AnyDVD HD).

just curious, why would it need vista or windows 7? Blurays play on winxp so dont understand the need for a newer o.s?

well as long as its cheaper than Powerdvd9, Windvd9 and TMT then everyone will buy this player as it will play everything and play them properly. Would be a mistake imo to charge more than the other 3 big boys.
I don't believe the "other big players" are competition. ;)

Would be nice if they had some sort of audio setup section which allowed you to test each speaker for 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 channels to make sure they are all working as there are remarkably few if any apps that do that but its always handy to make sure that you've configured your audio drivers and amplifier correctly to have that confirmation.
Yes, I like that. Especially when bypassing the Windows mixer.

Just if they can get 7.1 DTS-HD MA working on a £30 ati 4350 card, would be SOOOO cheap for a card that can pass perfect sound to an onkyo 606 or similar amp.
It certainly will. Bit exact 7.1 LPCM. Channel setting will be automatic with your Onkyo (2/5.1/7.1 depending on source)

long live slysoft, lets hope the mpaa dont send the cia to poison slysoft's watercooler :p
;)

just curious, why would it need vista or windows 7? Blurays play on winxp so dont understand the need for a newer o.s?
dxva2 isn't available on xp.

It certainly will. Bit exact 7.1 LPCM. Channel setting will be automatic with your Onkyo (2/5.1/7.1 depending on source)

How will it know how many speakers I have? I understand HDMI can pass much info, but I did not know it sent the speaker configuration upstream to the source (the software player on the HTPC).

AFAIK, it only sends the capabilities, not the actual config. I am not an expert, by any means, so I could be misunderstanding it.

How will it know how many speakers I have? I understand HDMI can pass much info, but I did not know it sent the speaker configuration upstream to the source (the software player on the HTPC).

AFAIK, it only sends the capabilities, not the actual config. I am not an expert, by any means, so I could be misunderstanding it.
It doesn't know how many speakers you have. Your receiver knows this. SlyPlayer notifies your receiver how many channel the source has.
E.g. with a 2 channel track your receiver "knows" that it can do Dolby Prologic (or whatever), with 5.1 it can expand to 7.1.
Other players (e.g. TMT, PowerDVD7&8 ) don't do this when using LPCM, so you have to manually set the computer to 2 channels in control panel when playing back stereo (dolby surround) tracks. Very, very annoying.

It will do a very cool thing that all HDMI capable players should do (and Reclock fixes with some of these).

It will just output the number of channels of your decoded source. So, for instance, if it's 5.1, it will output only a 5.1, and (presumably) set Vista to 5.1 channels automatically. So your receiver will set itself to 5.1 input, and give you the proper options. Same with stereo and 7.1.

Properly applied, I guess it should also set (for instance) DD 5.1 EX streams to be decoded in EX and output fully decoded in 7.1, though James should know more how SlyPlayer would behave in that scenario of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back