• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Should Anydvd HD have a ripper function (X-Protect related)?

No, it wouldn't be so much "lighter", as the AI scanner - which came after the ripper was introduced - makes heavy use of elby's libraries. So they can't really be separated.
The HD ripper is very small, as most parts (UDF2.5 parser, I/O handling) are needed to decrypt on the fly (AnyDVD decrypts *before* the disc is visible to the system, so it *cannot* use the UDF or UDF2.5 filesystem of the OS).
So, I don't think it is "as bad as it looks". Adding the ISO ripper will make the program... some kByte bigger, I would guess. no big deal.

Ah, ok. Then I was mistaken about how the code was added. And since it's using the elby libraries anyway, I guess keeping the ripping functionality in AnyDVD is kuel. But it will have to be maintained in both programs, so, yes, one shared code base will make sense. The more advanced features will be available to the AnyDVD gui, and the ripping features will be available to both AnyDVD gui and the new ripping program. Makes sense. I could certainly live with that. The protection removal code will have to be the same code line anyway. So, you're basically talking about different interfaces to the same kernel mode driver if I'm not mistaken. :)

It's not like the ripper is going to allow you to selectively pick the streams you want to keep....
The code inside AnyDVD actually can do that. There just isn't a UI available to activate it. I think, that the code can even transcode DVDs if told so.

And, the "ONE BUTTON" solution I was mentioning certainly would allow that, too.

The code inside AnyDVD actually can do that. There just isn't a UI available to activate it. I think, that the code can even transcode DVDs if told so.

And, the "ONE BUTTON" solution I was mentioning certainly would allow that, too.

Neat. That'd be kinda kuel. I can't wait to see what you cook up in the lab. :)

Hey, I have a favor to ask...and it's one you're going to slap me for. :) If you add ISO creation to AnyDVD (which if you're going to keep ripping anyway, I'd absolutely love that function) could you allow it to work with AnyDVD disabled? ;)

So, you're basically talking about different interfaces to the same kernel mode driver if I'm not mistaken. :)
You are a little misguided, as the the "new wonderful ripper" would indeed use the same code, but not a "kernel mode decrypting driver".

The "new wonderful ripper" would only need a small kernel interface (for talking directly to the drive hardware for sector based reading/writing), but no excessive clever driver decrypting / filtering.

Hence, the "new wonderful ripper" could be easily ported to other OSes as well.

Neat. That'd be kinda kuel. I can't wait to see what you cook up in the lab. :)

Hey, I have a favor to ask...and it's one you're going to slap me for. :) If you add ISO creation to AnyDVD (which if you're going to keep ripping anyway, I'd absolutely love that function) could you allow it to work with AnyDVD disabled? ;)
Only with a warning message box four times the size of the one from ImgBurn. :D

You are a little misguided, as the the "new wonderful ripper" would indeed use the same code, but not a "kernel mode decrypting driver".

The "new wonderful ripper" would only need a small kernel interface (for talking directly to the drive hardware for sector based reading/writing), but no excessive clever driver decrypting / filtering.

Ohhhhhh, clever. ;) I see where you're going with this. The light comes on. :) I figured you'd simply share the AnyDVD kernel mode driver, but, I see what you're doing there. ;) Sweet!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh! :clap:

(not that I care, because I don't use other OSes, but that would stop all the Mac and Linux compla. . . err . . . stuff)

Last edited:
Ah, ok. Then I was mistaken about how the code was added. And since it's using the elby libraries anyway, I guess keeping the ripping functionality in AnyDVD is kuel. But it will have to be maintained in both programs, so, yes, one shared code base will make sense. The more advanced features will be available to the AnyDVD gui, and the ripping features will be available to both AnyDVD gui and the new ripping program. Makes sense. I could certainly live with that. The protection removal code will have to be the same code line anyway.
BTW, all this discussion is hypothetical as it would require some agreement with the swissboys. We'll see...

I saw this one coming. :)

It would, indeed, make many people happy and open the way for many new customers.

I just don't want to see AnyDVD fiddled with too much. I do like the idea of adding in the ability to rip to ISO. I'm one of the people who does like using the AnyDVD ripper for ripping HD/BD discs.

I saw this one coming. :)

It would, indeed, make many people happy and open the way for many new customers.

I just don't want to see AnyDVD fiddled with too much. I do like the idea of adding in the ability to rip to ISO. I'm one of the people who does like using the AnyDVD ripper for ripping HD/BD discs.

I'd use an ISO feature for sure. Not that I mind CloneCD or ImgBurn, but, it'd be really handy to just have it built in to AnyDVD. That's only if they insist on keeping the ripping function. I guess since it doesn't eat up nearly as much space as I was thinking, it's fine to keep it.

Really? TBH, I rarely used it myself, only for testing during development... :p

I find it useless for BD/HD DVD as is. If it did ISO, then sure, it'd be highly useful. But files? Ewwwww. ;)

I'd use an ISO feature for sure. Not that I mind CloneCD or ImgBurn, but, it'd be really handy to just have it built in to AnyDVD. That's only if they insist on keeping the ripping function. I guess since it doesn't eat up nearly as much space as I was thinking, it's fine to keep it.

There is one "good thing(tm)" about keeping the ripper in AnyDVD: If you change AnyDVD settings, it will leave a disc alone when ripping is in progress.

For example, you can disable subtitle transparency and start the rip. Now you want to watch an original DVD - you can enable it and watch the DVD, but the rip will not be affected.

There is one "good thing(tm)" about keeping the ripper in AnyDVD: If you change AnyDVD settings, it will leave a disc alone when ripping is in progress.

For example, you can disable subtitle transparency and start the rip. Now you want to watch an original DVD - you can enable it and watch the DVD, but the rip will not be affected.

There is that I suppose. Wanna bet that confuses the hell out of some people? ;)

I find it useless for BD/HD DVD as is. If it did ISO, then sure, it'd be highly useful. But files? Ewwwww. ;)
Remember, remember, the 5th of November ... eh, when AnyDVD HD was introduced. The ripper was introduced, so you can *see* files at all! (with 9x/2000/XP without UDF2.5)
And these were times where taiwanese makers of player software allowed playback from folder...

There is that I suppose. Wanna bet that confuses the hell out of some people? ;)
I don't care, I love that feature, as I can watch a movie while copying another. ;)

P.S.: Works with HD DVD, Blu-rays, too. I have more than one drive... :D

Remember, remember, the 5th of November ... eh, when AnyDVD HD was introduced. The ripper was introduced, so you can *see* files at all! (with 9x/2000/XP without UDF2.5)
And these were times where taiwanese makers of player software allowed playback from folder...

This is true. But these days that's no longer the case. And for ISO reading, you don't need UDF 2.5 abilities. So, I still say the file reading thing for HD/BD is useless. ;)

I don't care, I love that feature, as I can watch a movie while copying another. ;)

P.S.: Works with HD DVD, Blu-rays, too. I have more than one drive... :D

That's pretty sweet. I'm gonna have to try that sometime. Once ISO creation is in affect, of course. :p

Back