• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Zelig R1 - Rip to image unplayable

earthasa

Hi,
With AnyDVD 7.1.0.0 active,
I used the rip-to-image feature with the "Create additional DVD file" option.

The resulting DVD and ISO file, when mounted with Virtual Clone Drive (last version), does not play correctly. The before-menu video plays, and that's it. Some players allowing direct access. to two other < 1 min titles with logos and a short extra (preview video). There is no menu playable.

On further examination, I noticed in Windows Explorer that 5 files: VTS01_0.VOB through VTS01_4.VOB (5 files) all are listed as 0 bytes.

Using Nero RescueAgent, I discovered that the UDF 1.02 file system listed them that way, but the ISO9660 file system cataloged them correctly, and I was able to copy the files to a directory. They are playable there.

I am using all default AnyDVD settings (everything checked except CSS mastering errors; AI scanner set to automatic).

Is this an unhandled protection, a bug, or something else?

Thanks,
Asa

Hi FurryGuy,
I did read that.

I don't have a log file. I did not test the DVD/ISO until today, and the original is in storage. I did my best to post the available relevant data.

I can retrieve the disc from storage and run a trial for you with log if it will benefit you. I'm just trying to help by posting this apparent failure.

In case it's of some value, I created a log with another disc and retrieeved the sysinfo.txt from it. I zipped that up with the IFO files from the Zelig R1 ISO backup, as Nero retrieved them when it recovered all files from the ISO9660 volume (to be on the safe side - but I assume the IFO files in the UDF volume are the same).

Let me know if you need me to retrieve the original disc in order for you to benefit from my report.

Thanks,
Asa

Attachments

• zelig-r1-mini.zip
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The only valid logfile is one created with the original disc or an unprotected ISO. So yes you'll have to "retrieve" the original disc and post the logfile from it.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

The sysinfo.txt in my zip was logged with an unprotected ISO.

But in any case, it sounds like you need a log from the original disc. I will post that when I am able (retrieve the disc).

Its not just the sysinfo.txt that's important. There's half a dozen other files in there (no, not the ifo files) that contain info needed.

A log file from a different ORIGINAL disc, even if it were a full log file, doesn't do a thing to help finding out what the problem is with the disc you are having problems with. A log file from a backup is totally useless. Not providing a FULL, unaltered, log file is just as useless.

Using AnyDVD's "Rip to Image..." option on DVDs has caused playback (and other) problems in the past, especially ones that have structural copy protection. If you are backing up DVDs you'd do better if you use the "Rip Video DVD to Harddisk..." option first and then pack the files/folders into a DVD standard-compliant image. The free Imgburn program excels at doing that.

Thanks FurryGuy and Ch3vron,

OK, I retrieved the original disc.
Log file attached (using AnyDVD defaults)

New info:

1. The disc is unplayable with AnyDVD even *directly from the drive*. I did not verify if it plays correctly from the drive without AnyDVD, because I have not set the region code on my drive, and I just hate to have to do that :) But I will if this test is of interest (I did try with all the AnyDVD options unchecked except the emulate Hardware Region code and it was unplayable).
  2. I tried ripping an ISO/DVD image file again. The DVD-ISO file when mounted with VCD (AnyDVD disabled on the VCD drive), appears to behave exactly like the disc in the actual drive (AnyDVD enabled). I ran checksums on the small files and they matched.
  3. The behavior starts out the same as before, when playback is attempted: A short logo video plays, then nothing. No menu, but some players with software navigation menus are able to access some of the titles and chapters.
  4. From there, there is a difference: * This time all chapters I tried to play played back with heavily corrupted video. * Last time, instead, the files for the main title set were unplayable (and appeared as 0 length files on the ISO image -- I did not try to play or examine the disc directly last time), but I was able to navigate to the two extras which seemed to play fine.
  5. This time, I also tried ripping the DVD files to disc (using AnyDVD). *This plays back fine, *much like the files I was able to recover from the ISO I made the first time around which had a corrupt file system, as previously described.
  6. Also I just verified that CloneDVD2 is able to preview the titles correctly (I didn't have it create a copy to verify if it navigates correctly).
FurryGuy: Re. Rip to Image issues - I am aware of that history, however I also recall an update within the past couple years which stated it corrected past problems with the feature. My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I have operated under that impression for some time without running into any problems.

It's interesting to note that the disc cannot be played with AnyDVD running even from the original disc in the drive, even though "Rip Video DVD to harddisc" seems to work.

I purposely did not update AnyDVD from the version I was running last time, however I can try again with the latest public or beta if you like.

Thanks.. I appreciate the great software.

Asa

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.0.0_Info_D_ZELIG.zip
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
Maybe trying the latest beta (as of this moment) might help you out.

I'm posting the link here.

Good luck.

Thanks Whatever_gong.

I was just posting an update you replied with the results of trying just that!
================
"OK.. Well, you might not want to waste a lot of time on this."

I installed 7.1.1.2 Beta
Disc now plays fine from original disc with AnyDVD
ISO ripped with AnyDVD also plays perfectly fine.

Coincidence that AnyDVD accidentally handles the disc fine now after my query, I don't know :) the disc is years old (2001).

Or, perhaps the reinstall cleaned some bad data related to the disc that AnyDVD kept reusing?

I'm satisfied, but I'm attaching the 7.1.1.2 Beta log in case you are interested.

Asa

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.1.2_Info_D_ZELIG.zip
    110.1 KB · Views: 1
Well you may hate to set the drive region, it its pretty much mandatory to do so. Without the drive region set, anydvd may encounter problems decrypting css protected discs. It may slow it down, but also even fail to decrypt completely.

Back