• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

XP laptop plays R1 DVD but W10 version fails to read

I hope that this makes sense. I have 2 laptops, an old XP one and a new HP running W10. Both use R2 CD ROM DVD devices.

XP version: running 7.6.9.5, load a R1 DVD, AnyDVD runs identifies the disc and it can be played without problems.

W10 version running 8.5.8.0, load the sane R1 DVD, AnyDVD runs and brings up a warning screen with Failed to read DVD, with Your Drive is a R2 locked RPC2 drive etc. Disc can't be played. If I install 7.6.9.5 on the W10 laptop the same thing happens so I guess it's a player issue.

So, I'd be grateful for advice as to why the errors appear on the W10 drive and if there's anything I can do about it. Thanks.

Have you assigned the W10 dvd drive to a region ?
EXIT ANYDVD and go into device manager and right click your DVD Drive. Assign it to the region you get most of your DVD's from (so, region 2)

Thanks for quick reply. It's set as R2 on both machines. What I don't get is why AnyDVD can override the R1 code to play on the XP machine but not the W10.

Does AnyDVD status definitely show the Win10 drive as region 2?

Note well implemented RPC2 will make it impossible to play a disc from the wrong region (e.g. Matshita). This could be your problem with the W10 drive.

Please provide anydvd logfiles from the affected disc in both drives.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

It could also be the case that one drive simply can't read it. Are both of these DVD drives in the different PC's the same make and model? For instance, on LG's, some discs simply cannot be read on some of their DVD drives while others handle them fine. Or one of the DVD drives may have gone bad while the other one hasn't.

The requested logs will provide better details.

It could also be the case that one drive simply can't read it. Are both of these DVD drives in the different PC's the same make and model? For instance, on LG's, some discs simply cannot be read on some of their DVD drives while others handle them fine. Or one of the DVD drives may have gone bad while the other one hasn't.

The requested logs will provide better details.

Ah, the W10 drive is Matshita, so it looks like it can't play any wrong region DVD, but BD works fine as the region is on the discs. I tried to create logs but nothing happened after 15mins. The Matshita drive can still be returned, but how the heck can I avoid buying another drive only to find out it's another Matshita or Panasonic? I'm presuming that Pioneer drives will be OK with AnyDVD. Thanks guys.

I haven't used a Pioneer in over 2 years, but that BD drive worked fine with AnyDVD. I've primarily used LG WH16NS60's for over 5 years and they work 99% of the time with AnyDVD. That's why I got a cheap USB Verbatim DVD drive for those discs that LG won't read in right. I also have a USB Verbatim BD drive for similar use. I also like to keep USB drives on hand because I can set one to R2 for imported discs since I live in R1. I don't have to worry about changing the region on my primary drive; I just plug in the R2 region set USB DVD drive for that purpose and then unplug it and file it away back in its box.

I haven't used a Pioneer in over 2 years, but that BD drive worked fine with AnyDVD. I've primarily used LG WH16NS60's for over 5 years and they work 99% of the time with AnyDVD. That's why I got a cheap USB Verbatim DVD drive for those discs that LG won't read in right. I also have a USB Verbatim BD drive for similar use. I also like to keep USB drives on hand because I can set one to R2 for imported discs since I live in R1. I don't have to worry about changing the region on my primary drive; I just plug in the R2 region set USB DVD drive for that purpose and then unplug it and file it away back in its box.

That's a great help, will get another drive ordered. I take your point about region changing.

Hi, sorry to come back. Got a Pioneer drive now but AnyDVD Status shows Region 0 (not set) but Device Manager shows Region 2. Any idea of the disparity?

Did you make sure AnyDVD was NOT running when you changed the region setting for the drive? AnyDVD can't be running when you set the region for the drive. Don't know why it would matter here, though, as Device Manager is showing it's Region 2, but AnyDVD isn't.

Thing is, the drive arrived at Region 0 and I did not change it to 2, but now it shows as 2. Stuff is driving me mad...

So, if you try to change the region yourself, with AnyDVD not running, does it say a region is already set and tell you what region it is? And when you try to change the region, before you change it in any way, does it say you have 5 region changes remaining? Or less than 5? Maybe you got a refurbished drive and the region was not set back to 0 before leaving the factory.

BTW, which Pioneer drive did you get? The last time I had a Pioneer was actually 4 years ago in March. I thought it was sooner than that. And it was a BDR-209DBK BD drive. I've thought about trying Pioneer out again, but have been holding out getting a 212 model since it seems Pioneer may be preparing a 213 for release soon. That the 212 may no longer be in active production and that only remaining unsold stock is available to try and thin out before the 213 release.

No. We are talking about slim drives.

The BDR-209 full size drive is best for burning 50GB discs. The 212 is worse or equal.

BTW, which Pioneer drive did you get? The last time I had a Pioneer was actually 4 years ago in March. I thought it was sooner than that. And it was a BDR-209DBK BD drive. I've thought about trying Pioneer out again, but have been holding out getting a 212 model since it seems Pioneer may be preparing a 213 for release soon. That the 212 may no longer be in active production and that only remaining unsold stock is available to try and thin out before the 213 release.

BDR-XD07TB. All good so far, although the included Cyberlink software is pants!

So, if you try to change the region yourself, with AnyDVD not running, does it say a region is already set and tell you what region it is? And when you try to change the region, before you change it in any way, does it say you have 5 region changes remaining? Or less than 5? Maybe you got a refurbished drive and the region was not set back to 0 before leaving the factory.
I'm having odd results with this and will have to do more tests when I've got time. Insert a R1 disc and it says it's set to R1, insert a R2 disc and it says it's set to R2. Each time with 4 changes remaining. Will come back on this.

Drive region doesn't affect BD's, that's for DVD's. you do t have anydvd active by any chance while checking/setting the region. You need to EXIT anydvd completely before you set a drive region.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back