• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

X-Men Wolverine hardware issue

lmc

I can't get X-Men Wolverine to play on my laptop - doesn't even register that there is a DVD in the drive. Works fine with all of the other DVD's that I own and have newly purchased - just not this new region 1 release. All of my software and firmware is updated. I've heard that encryption or new types of encoding at times cause this problem - any suggestions on how to overcome the issue?
lmc

Protections need to be read first

No protection can stop your drive from "seeing" a DVD, that's likely simply a poorly pressed DVD.

Right mouse the system tray AnyDVD fox. Then "exit". Now open My Computer and try to "explore" that DVD to look if Windows can "see" it. I have my doubts and this would mean the DVD is not visible. It may play in your living room.

I was going to mention that I had totally exited out of AnyDVD just in case it had any type of impact on it loading up initially and correctly - and that didn't make any difference either, Frank.
When I explore the drive (it is my G drive) it shows nothing, also. Actually doesn't even change the word cd to dvd next to the drive letter in the directory tree - so this dvd is completely unrecognized in the player - not even recognized as a dvd.
Have you heard of or seen any other problems cropping up yet with this new release? My bet is on the encoding or encrypting of this particular movie title (20th Cenutry Fox) - probably really tricky because of its huge mainstream popularity...

lmc

The Region A US release should have zero problems being detected by your reader or the OS as long as you are using Vista, Windows 7, or XP with the UDF 2.5 driver installed.

The Region A US release should have zero problems being detected by your reader or the OS as long as you are using Vista, Windows 7, or XP with the UDF 2.5 driver installed.

Could you explain the XP UDF 2.5 driver to me.

I am running the #3 service pack XP. With those previous issues that I was having last month, one of the trouble shooting things that we did was uninstall and then reinstall the drivers for my driver that is my cd/dvd playing drive - I also updated those drivers at that time.

Thank you, both Frank and DLD for your input and guidance with this issue.

lmc

Last edited:
Could you explain the XP UDF 2.5 driver to me.

I am running the #3 service pack XP. With those previous issues that I was having last month, one of the trouble shooting things tjat we did was uninstall and then reinstall the drivers for my driver that is my cd/dvd playing drive - I also updated those drivers at that time.

Thank you, both Frank and DLD for your input and guidance with this issue.

lmc

UDF means Universal Disc Format. It's a file-system format for storing data on optical media.

A standard DVD uses UDF 1.02 and Blu-ray discs use UDF 2.5. Windows XP existed before UDF 2.5 existed with Blu-ray being a thing of the future. Support for UDF 2.5 simply doesn't exist in XP. Windows Vista and Windows 7 natively support UDF 2.5. AnyDVD HD doesn't care about which OS you have with regard to ripping a Blu-ray to your HDD because it has it's own internal support for handling the relevant UDF. XP without the installed UDF drivers won't be able to access a Blu-ray disc that is in the drive. The UDF 2.5 driver is required.

Refer here for how to obtain and install the UDF 2.5 driver from Toshiba: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=15597

I think that I understand what you are explaining - but want to clarify something with you - I am not playing blu-ray dvd's - my drive is not a blu-ray drive - it is the Hitachi drive, RW, Lightscribe features included, that is the standard installation for the high-end HP Pavillion line of laptops - model # dv9035nr.

Does this information apply to me and this scenario - will it assist in correcting my problem with this DVD's playback. I should also note that I have never experienced this problem before - or, when it has occurred, it was immediately corrected once I did a system restart.

lmc

Last edited:
I think that I understand what you are explaing - but want to clarify something with you - I am not playing blu-ray dvd's - my drive is not a blu-ray drive - it is the Hitachi drive, RW, Lightscribe features included, that is the standard installation for the high-end HP Pavillion line of laptops - model # dv9035nr.

Does this information apply to me and this scenario - will it assist in correcting my problem with DVD. I should also note that I have never experienced this problem before - or, when it has occurred, it was immediately corrected once I did a system restart.

lmc

No, all that I wrote doesn't apply to your situation. I'm just an idiot. I somehow confused this thread with another thread. :(

If the SD DVD is not being detected even when AnyDVD is exited or uninstalled then the problem is either a badly pressed, damaged disc, or possibly a dying DVD drive. I would try exchanging the disc for a replacement and see if it still occurs. That's the best first step. If a problem still exists then it's either your system configuration or a hardware issue (ie DVD drive).

I have my desktop computer which I never set up after moving nearly 2 years ago. I have just set it up this previous month - and installed my Slysoft suite on it and tried Wolverine on it - not only did it recognize it immediately - but my back-up copy was perfect. I'm glad that I have this Sony Vaio as a backup computer - it seems to always come through for me even if it is slower and not portable.
Thank you for your help - lmc

Back