• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Not a RedFox Issue Wrong Aspect Ratio (Not AS Fault)

KingThistle

I have quite a few Prime downloads now that have the wrong aspect ratio. Even when played directly from Prime they are wrong.

Can anyone suggest a program to fix these?

Can you please elaborate?

You mean it should be 4:3 but is 16:9?
Or it is 720*480 but should be 640*480?

There is tons of wrongly encoded material. Nothing Anystream can do about if the provider encodes suboptimal videos.

Some is 960*720 (4:3) content is just squashed
Some is 960*540 (16.9) which is correct
Some is 720*576 (4:3) which has black bands top and bottom, but views correctly. albeit doesnt fill the screen.

I know this isnt an anystream issue. Direct playback on a TV is the same.

I see what you mean.

One common problem is the mismatch of resolutions; for instance, NTSC content is sometimes found in PAL resolutions instead of the correct NTSC resolution.

Frame rate inaccuracies are another headache, where videos that should be at 24fps or 23.976fps are instead at 30fps.

Additionally, poor deinterlacing techniques are used, leading to noticeable combing effects.

And perhaps most frustratingly, videos advertised as HD are merely upscaled from standard definition, resulting in a suboptimal picture.

There are solutions to these woes. For deinterlacing issues, tools like Avisynth or Vaporsynth can be employed to recode the file.

These can also be used to correct improper frame rates and resolutions.

It’s vital to verify that the video resolution conforms to the original region format, whether NTSC or PAL.

And in cases of poorly upscaled HD, it might be more efficient to download the SD content and perform the upscaling yourself with a more reliable method.

In the worst-case scenario, a video may have all the aforementioned issues. While software like Avisynth or Vaporsynth can significantly repair these faults, it's worth noting that setting up these tools can be time-consuming and may require a steep learning curve.

You might want to have a look at this post

Maybe it can help you to re encode and fix the videos.

Some is 960*720 (4:3) content is just squashed
Some is 960*540 (16.9) which is correct
Some is 720*576 (4:3) which has black bands top and bottom, but views correctly. albeit doesnt fill the screen.

I know this isnt an anystream issue. Direct playback on a TV is the same.

Just because that's the pixel count, doesn't mean that they are coded with SAR of 1:1 (hint: quite often the SD material is actually coded with anamorphic pixels) ;)

Just because that's the pixel count, doesn't mean that they are coded with SAR of 1:1 (hint: quite often the SD material is actually coded with anamorphic pixels) ;)
Yes, this information can be seen using tools like MediaInfo. MediaInfo is a program that displays the technical information about media files, including video resolution, aspect ratio, and pixel aspect ratio (SAR).

When you open a file in MediaInfo, you'll see details about the video stream such as:

- Width and Height: This shows the resolution of the video, which is the number of pixels horizontally and vertically (e.g., 960x540).

- Display Aspect Ratio (DAR): This is the aspect ratio of the video as displayed on the screen (e.g., 16:9).

- Pixel Aspect Ratio (SAR): This indicates if the pixels are square (1:1) or non-square (anamorphic). Non-square pixels are used to fit widescreen images into narrower frames, which are then stretched during playback.

If the pixel aspect ratio is anything other than 1:1, it means the video uses anamorphic pixels. When played on a compatible player, the video should be stretched to match the intended display aspect ratio. If the stretching or aspect ratio conversion is not happening correctly, it can result in the issues you're seeing, such as squashed images or black bands.

Often times you can simply edit the header with MKVToolNix to fix the aspect ratio. If dealing with SD video, I often times prefer PAL resolution because it is higher. I've not seen display issues as a result.
Now a provider like Disney+, you have to go into your playback settings to force it to show the original ratio, or else it stretches to 16:9, because, WHY?

Often times you can simply edit the header with MKVToolNix to fix the aspect ratio. If dealing with SD video, I often times prefer PAL resolution because it is higher. I've not seen display issues as a result.
Choosing PAL resolution for NTSC source material is not advisable due to inherent differences in video standards. This mismatch can cause playback issues and may lead to a subpar viewing experience. It's important to match the resolution with the source material's original standard to ensure compatibility and proper display of the content.

Even when played directly from Prime they are wrong.
It was this that stood out for me, and makes me think of player settings set incorrectly rather than a video file having a defect.

It was this that stood out for me, and makes me think of player settings set incorrectly rather than a video file having a defect.
Streaming services usually do not offer an option to change the aspect ratio because the content is meant to be viewed in the aspect ratio in which the provider provided it. Altering the aspect ratio can lead to a distorted image where the picture is stretched or squished, resulting in black bars on the sides or top and bottom of the image (letterboxing or pillarboxing).

This change acknowledges that the aspect ratio experienced by the viewer is chosen by the content provider during the encoding process, which may not necessarily be the original production aspect ratio, especially for older content that has been reformatted.

I have quite a few Prime downloads now that have the wrong aspect ratio. Even when played directly from Prime they are wrong.

Can anyone suggest a program to fix these?
I'd use avidemux to do that. I'd also use it to properly correct frame rates (eg from 25 to defacto standard 23.976) or to fix incorrectly rendered true 24fps and so on. My own preference is to use BD-R discs for my content (as distinct from a storage drive) and I would typically upscale any SD content to 720p (at 23.976 fps) when I do so. 720p is more "predictable" on BD-Video than actual SD and there is nothing to be gained by going up to 1080p in this context.

Streaming services usually do not offer an option to change the aspect ratio because the content is meant to be viewed in the aspect ratio in which the provider provided it. Altering the aspect ratio can lead to a distorted image where the picture is stretched or squished, resulting in black bars on the sides or top and bottom of the image (letterboxing or pillarboxing).

Disney+ by default stretches the earlier seasons of The Simpsons. You have to go into settings to fix that.

Choosing PAL resolution for NTSC source material is not advisable due to inherent differences in video standards. This mismatch can cause playback issues and may lead to a subpar viewing experience. It's important to match the resolution with the source material's original standard to ensure compatibility and proper display of the content.

Any good program or device will play it correctly. When you think about it, DVD resolution of 720 x 480 is a 1.5:1 AR, that matches no TV standard. Remember before anamorphic widescreen we had 4:3 widescreen, that looked pretty bad by comparison. Then they used the extra lines of resolution and told the playback device how to display it.
An SD show like Primeval on Hulu comes native as 864 x 486. The extra lines of resolution in no way ruin the image.

Disney+ by default stretches the earlier seasons of The Simpsons. You have to go into settings to fix that.
Actually, the video isn't stretched. They've resized the image to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio, which involves cropping out some of the pixel information. When you adjust the settings to display it in 4:3, that's a specific version they created for shows like 'The Simpsons.' Essentially, you're looking at two different video streams tailored to their respective aspect ratios, not a single video that's been stretched to fit different screens.

Any good program or device will play it correctly. When you think about it, DVD resolution of 720 x 480 is a 1.5:1 AR, that matches no TV standard. Remember before anamorphic widescreen we had 4:3 widescreen, that looked pretty bad by comparison. Then they used the extra lines of resolution and told the playback device how to display it.
That's not entirely accurate. DVDs are distinct from the videos you might stream or download from providers. A DVD includes metadata that instructs the player on correctly displaying the video. This metadata ensures that the player can correctly interpret the aspect ratio and resolution to display the image as intended. So, while the raw resolution of a DVD might be 720 x 480, the way it's displayed can vary based on the encoded instructions that come with the DVD, which is not necessarily the case with digital files from streaming services.

I had tons of older aspect videos, especially after I converted all my DVD's/etc to files.

I have had *great* results with Topaz AI and it also enlarges/enhances.

It does take a while sometimes, but some movies are really worth it.

I was blown away by how it detailed/enlarged/enhanced the original "Cocoon" video I had.

It was almost like watching a whole new movie and the water "rippling" was hynotic.

Topaz AI is pricey and they are playing wack-a-mole to a certain extent since they rewrote the app, but it meets my needs and they *seem* to be working on issues albeit slower that many people would like.

My needs are few (1080 & good sound), vs some other users.

I believe Topaz AI had a 30 day trial, but it's been a while since I used it.

It's also great for those providers that have lesser resolutions and you want to standardize or prefer a set resolution.

Also when I bought my yearly licensing last October, it was nearly 1/2 price.

They do some heavy discounting around Black Friday & Cyber Monday - I'd be on the watch to get it with a discount.

That's not entirely accurate. DVDs are distinct from the videos you might stream or download from providers. A DVD includes metadata that instructs the player on correctly displaying the video. This metadata ensures that the player can correctly interpret the aspect ratio and resolution to display the image as intended. So, while the raw resolution of a DVD might be 720 x 480, the way it's displayed can vary based on the encoded instructions that come with the DVD, which is not necessarily the case with digital files from streaming services.

Jane and the Dragon (on Prime Video) downloads as 720 x 576. It displays in 4:3. Again, nonstandard resolution, but the player gets the info it needs in the header.
I think we both have the same understanding, just how it is implemented is different.
Poorly mastered DVDs often times had issues even on legit players. Making an MKV from one sometimes required manual editing of the header to fix it.

Jane and the Dragon (on Prime Video) downloads as 720 x 576. It displays in 4:3. Again, nonstandard resolution, but the player gets the info it needs in the header.
I think we both have the same understanding, just how it is implemented is different.
Poorly mastered DVDs often times had issues even on legit players. Making an MKV from one sometimes required manual editing of the header to fix it.
I appreciate your insights on the topic of video resolutions and aspect ratios.
We both have a keen interest in how media is presented. However, I'd like to clarify a few points to ensure we're on the same page regarding how these technologies work.

Firstly, regarding your mention of "Jane and the Dragon" on Prime Video downloading as 720 x 576 and displaying in 4:3 aspect ratio, this resolution is standard for PAL (Phase Alternating Line) format, commonly used in many European and other countries outside North America. PAL DVDs have a resolution of 720 x 576, slightly different from the NTSC (National Television System Committee) standard used in North America and Japan, where the resolution is 720 x 480. These are displayed in a 4:3 aspect ratio for standard-definition content. The player uses metadata to correctly display the content in its intended aspect ratio, whether 4:3 or anamorphic widescreen.

Your point about poorly mastered DVDs is valid. DVDs with incorrect or missing metadata can cause display issues.
However, this issue is more about the quality of the DVD mastering process rather than a fundamental problem with the DVD format itself.

Regarding the aspect ratio and resolution, it's important to note that the aspect ratio (like 4:3 or 16:9) differs from resolution. The aspect ratio is the ratio of the width to the height of an image or screen. A 4:3 aspect ratio means that for every 4 units of width, there are 3 units of height, regardless of the total number of pixels. This is different from resolution, which is the total number of pixels displayed on the screen, typically denoted as width x height (like 720 x 480).

For a more detailed explanation of how aspect ratios and resolutions work, you might find this article from
Code:
 https://www.dacast.com/blog/video-aspect-ratio/
helpful.

In summary, while we both understand the importance of correct aspect ratio and resolution for the optimal viewing experience, the technicalities of how these are implemented in DVDs and streaming services can be quite intricate and vary depending on the format and the quality of the mastering process.

I hope this clarifies the points I was trying to make.

And I'm out of here.

Back