• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

WinDVD 8

BurnerHEAD

hi!

I got a WinDVD 8 Bluray Version here from my new bluray Notebook.

Is it good for Bluray playback? Does it play all movies?

Is it worth to do a upgrade to Version 9?

Thank you!

John

hi!

Thank you!

John

I have no experience with WinDVD8 but I did purchase WinDVD9 to use when I run into issues with PowerDVD7 & PowerDVD8. All the software players have trouble now and then with some discs. With updates the problematic discs will hopefully be fixed but sometimes it takes longer than others. WinDVD9 plays Top Gun BD (Region A) while neither PowerDVD7 or PowerDVD8 will.

I really have no complaints at this point with WinDVD9 although I much prefer PowerDVD and will only use it when I am forced to. I really have no interest in ArcSoft TMT. SamuriHL has said that he has gotten TMT to work but if it doesn't work out of the box without me having to make some insane changes then I'm not interested.

Hopefully someone with WinDVD8 can give you the information on whether v9 is worth upgrading over v8.

hi!

So, you use PDVD 7 & 8 and WinDVD 9. Thats really expensive.

Isn't there just the "right/good" software?

I dont wanna spent 300 bucks to buy all different player-software, only because each bluray-disc needs another software. Makes me angry.

I'm going to test WinDVD 8 in a few days, but I hope I get some tip/tricks from advanced WinDVD 8 users.

Thank you!
John

hi!

I dont wanna spent 300 bucks to buy all different player-software, only because each bluray-disc needs another software. Makes me angry.

I'm going to test WinDVD 8 in a few days, but I hope I get some tip/tricks from advanced WinDVD 8 users.

Thank you!
John

I tried the WinDVD 9 software and, it has blu-ray playback issues...
when watching a bluray disc on pc, I found that the video did not sync with the picture at all, I noticed this only occurs when you go a few minutes ahead in the movies...with PowerDVD 8 ultra, never had any issues like that...so I would pass on WinDVD.

hi!

Thank you!
John

Yeah, the cost can add up, sadly.

I've had PowerDVD for years and upgrade at a reduced cost. I also purchased WinDVD9 with a nice coupon that saved me a bit. I've run into no issues with audio desyncing using WinDVD9. Right now I'd say the best and most consistent player software is PowerDVD7 7.3.4407 even though I prefer PowerDVD8's UI.

I do not own a standalone HD/BD player so my computer is my HD/BD player. Due to the nature of current support for HD/BD and the fact that none of the software players work perfectly with all discs there is a need for redundancy. I purchased WinDVD9 for that reason.

By no means am I saying everyone should spend extra money on multiple players but definitely expect to run into problematic discs from time to time and CyberLink is not very responsive to problems. I am a retail owner of PowerDVD7 Ultra and PowerDVD8 Ultra and opened a technical support ticket with them about Top Gun BD not correctly working back on September 13th, 2008 and they have not even replied to me minus an automated message that means nothing. They've since released an update (8.0.2021a) that didn't address the problem.

i recently bought a sony vaio model vgn-fw160e...it came bundled with
intervideo windvd bd for vaio......

i noticed this statment in small print under a section of the corel windvd 9 website in regards to aacs key updating.....

"Note: Only versions of WinDVD (OEM & retail) that can play back Blu-ray Disc commercial titles need to update the AACS Key every 18 months."

my questions are and were...

in 18 months will i have to update my aacs key?....will i have to update to a different version of windvd that came with my computer in order to do that?..or does the aacs renewal update not apply to me?

i talked to vaio support...they said i wouldn't have to worry about these things unless blu ray formats changed? they also said that their have been updates to previous bundled versions of intervideo windvd bd for vaio...so perhaps in the future, if changes do indeed take place, more than likely there would be solutions offered on their support page for my particular vaio model.....

i looked at the differences between the different versions of windvd 9 and i'm not sure if i really need to upgrade...what would be the advantages?...more options that i might not use?...i too also have the newest cyberlink powerdvd 8ultra on my computer minus the most recent patch....

i think for now i might just wait out making a decision as to whether i should update my windvd software...

I'd say it's good enough. My advice is: keep it and use it. Don't spend money on PowerDVD or WinDVD 9 unless you encounter some serious issues with the player which you've already got for free. I also have VAIO laptop, and I bought PowerDVD 7 last year and an upgrade to 8 this year. But it was because at that time WinDVD 8 did not work with AnyDVD enabled, and did not play mounted images either. While PowerDVD 7 even played from folders on hard drive at the time when I bought it. But this functionality was removed from PDVD long time ago, and with Virtual Clone Drive 5.4.0.8, mounted images work equally well in WinDVD and PowerDVD. And recent story with "Iron Man" shows that WinDVD probably has better compatibility than PDVD. So, if AnyDVD and VCD worked the way they work now, I would not buy PowerDVD, that's for sure.

I'd say no. One of the reasons is that WinDVD 8's audio decoder can be configured so it is used by WMP and other DirectShow-enabled players to decode ac3 sound in .avi and other files, while WinDVD 9's decoder cannot be configured this way.

I'd say it's good enough. My advice is: keep it and use it. Don't spend money on PowerDVD or WinDVD 9 unless you encounter some serious issues with the player which you've already got for free.

Solid advice. :) Unless a problem occurs then there is no reason to spend more money.

I purchased WinDVD9 only when I encountered my problem with Top Gun. It was not money I wanted to spend and I definitely didn't want to give Corel any money. I can accept paying for Paint Shop Pro [which used to be JASC who I respected] because it's great and a whole lot cheaper than Adobe PhotoShop but I just never wanted to pay Corel/InterVideo money for their software that I've always considered inferior.

Thank you! I'll take your advice.

I purchased "Planet Earth" on sunday and hope to enjoy it soon.

Regards,
John

Do you know, what an Upgrade to Version 9 costs?

hi!

Okay, Planet Earth is here next to me and it plays great.
Great Movie by the way.

Important question:
Can WinDVD 8 play a Bluray ISO?

What tools do you recommend to use?

Thank you for your help!

BurnerHEAD

hi!

Okay, Planet Earth is here next to me and it plays great.
Great Movie by the way.

Important question:
Can WinDVD 8 play a Bluray ISO?

What tools do you recommend to use?

Thank you for your help!

BurnerHEAD

For some reason I cannot playback a BD image if I mount the .DVD file in Virtual CloneDrive. I can playback the BD image if I just mount the .ISO file. In short, yes.

Rip to image with AnyDVD HD and then mount in VCD.

hi!

What is a .dvd file for?

Is it possible to use Daemon Tools?

Do I have to keep the copy protection in order to play the BD image?

Regards,
BurnerHEAD

hi!

What is a .dvd file for?

Is it possible to use Daemon Tools?

Do I have to keep the copy protection in order to play the BD image?

Regards,
BurnerHEAD

The .DVD is created by AnyDVD when you Rip to Image... or you can manually create it. It tells Virtual CloneDrive the media type of the image that is mounted as well as acting as a pointer to the actual ISO image. This is important when mounting BD images.

The .DVD files have no meaning in Daemon Tools. It's purpose is for use with Virtual CloneDrive. You shouldn't be using Daemon Tools anyway. BD image playback is problematic since DT 4.30.

No, you don't have to keep copy protection to play a BD image.

Last edited:
Back