• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows XP and burning

zynamoon

I have been using an older PC which has windows XP for a long time with not many issues. But have been wondering if there are any things with XP or other things with this PC that will help ANY DVD and Clone to work faster than it is. I am not complaining, after taking the PC apart and cleaning it of dust and such it takes about 1 hour to complete a normal movie which isn't bad I guess. Is that a normal amount of time and is there anything I may be able to do to make it faster.

Thank you

Is that a normal amount of time
There's numerous factors involved.
Such as copying original DVD5 or DVD9 discs then burning to blank DVD5 or DVD9. Or you may be transocding DVD9 to DVD5.
Are you using a laptop or desktop. Processor speeds etc...

So lots of things to be taken into account.

Last edited:
Saying
make sure you have no more than two start-ups showing in MSCONFIG
is wrong. You should check to see what's in there and if it's necessary to be running. Turn anything off that's not necessary, but leave running anything your system, or software requires to make it operate correctly. Depending on your system and software being used this can often be many more than 2. Plus for the majority of them the system resources they use are negligible.
And never use things like Reg cleaners unless you know what you are doing. They can remove reg entries that are necessary for correct operation of some software that you may not notice until it's too late. We see this all the time where we have to get customers to image back to the original system image we provided them because they've used a reg cleaner and screwed their system

Last edited:
And what would those other 25 'unnecessary' ones be? Turning off things in MSconfig can actually make your system run slower or make things run incorrectly if you turn off the wrong things. Some of those items are in there for a reason
And yes even having 27 running can use negligible resources, you're using a 'knee jerk' reaction to there being 27 when in fact most of them probably don't impact your system at all when running. Mine had 23 running, just turned off the ones for PDVD etc which has taken me down to 13 and there's no impact whatsoever on my system resources or system boot up speed

Last edited:
That was years ago though, we're talking about now. Also one of the biggest resource hogs years ago was webshots itself. When you untick something in MSConfig it does remove the registry entry, but to put it back you just re-tick it in MSconfig and the entry is put back in. It was how we'd trouble shoot if a system wouldn't start properly, untick everything in the 'Start' section then restart and if it worked you'd then start turning them back on 1 at a time and reboot until you found the one causing the issue.

But, they all use resource to start, no matter how small and if you can see a difference or not.
Which is why I said their usage was negligible. They use so little resources you won't notice the difference. The only reason you'd need to turn off anything is if it's causing your system to slow down, otherwise you're just turning off things for no real reason and it could have a detrimental effect

Last edited:
There's absolutely no reason to manually remove those entries, it makes no difference to your system whatsoever. All you do is tick the box that say's 'don't show this again' and leave it alone, and as you've found out, by removing the reg entries if you suddenly find something is not working you have to physically re-install the software again, whereas just unticking the box and leaving the registry alone prevents that problem. It's a whole load of messing around for no real gain and the possibility of screwing your system up

Anyway we're obviously not going to agree and we've gone off topic so I suggest we leave it there

Last edited:
Back