• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows cannot load device driver for DVD Writer.

JW1297

After updating AnyDVD recently to 7130, Windows Explorer stopped detecting the DVD writer drive . In device manager, the drive icon has a yellow triangle warning. The message is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).

I suspecting a failed optical drive, so I attached a portable DVDwriter that works fine on another machine. But Windows displayed the same error for that drive too. So something must be wrong with the drivers.

I next checked the Slysoft forum, and did the following:

1) Uninstalled the DVD-Writer from Device manager. (I did not disconnect it physically.)

2) Uninstalled AyDVD.

3) rebooted.

The problem was still there.

4) Next I ran sfc /scannow from a command prompt with elevated privileges. (following Microsoft kb/929833). It repaired quite a few things, and the report showed there was nothing it could not repair that it had attempted.

5) Another reboot and the problem is still there. I cannot see the DVD-writer in Windows Explorer.

What is more the drive details showed that the following drivers were installed in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers:

cdrom.sys -the Microsoft version 6.1.6700.
maplom1.sys -Slysoft 4.1.1.7
maplom1.sys -Slysoft 4.1.1.7 (yes it appears twice in driver file details!)

So clearly the uninstall had not removed the Slysoft drivers and SFC.exe had not repaired properly.

As mentioned, above, this problem is affecting more than one DVD writer driver, one connected via USB2, and the other connected via an IDE cable, so it is unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Screen shots are attached.

The machine is running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit and is has all the Microsoft updates. All its other hardware and peripherals are working fine.

Please help?
Thanks.

Attachments

• BurnerDriverIssue.jpg
    BurnerDriverIssue.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 6
Do you have Game jackal installed, I think maplom1.sys is from that, not from AnyDVD

Last edited:
Clobbered driver

After updating AnyDVD recently to 7130, Windows Explorer stopped detecting the DVD writer drive . In device manager, the drive icon has a yellow triangle warning. The message is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39).

I suspecting a failed optical drive, so I attached a portable DVDwriter that works fine on another machine. But Windows displayed the same error for that drive too. So something must be wrong with the drivers.

The Game Jackal driver is not the issue for sure.

That is a 100% windows error.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/code-39-error.htm

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/1215-corrupted-or-missing-driver-code-39

and so on W/ The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39) pasted into google.

I do have Game jackal installed.

I do have Game jackal installed, but I installed in several months ago. There have not been any updates released for quite a while, so I agree that it is unlikely to be the cause of my problem.

I tried getting device manager to update the driver "automatically", but it said I had the latest driver.

I'm totally stuck now.

Did you try following the instructions on the pages Frank linked to and remove the upper and lower filters?

Fixed!

I have followed Frank's advice and Windows now detects my optical drives just fine. Deleting the two settings, Upperfilters and Lowerfilters, then a reboot, certainly did the trick. So thanks Frank, for your help on resolving this. :)

I re-installed AnyDVD afterwards and that works fine. However, Game Jackal Pro, no longer works. (I did not re-install that; I left it as it was.) Now when I double-click any game icon in the Game Jackal window, it displays a "progress bar" popup with the following caption:

"Scanning Drive, this may take a moment, please wait ..."

It doesn't take a moment though. It just sits there with the progress bar filling and emptying over and over again.

I did notice that after the reboot, the Lowerfilters value is back under the registry key, only this time it is set to "AnyDVD", whereas before it was "maplom". The the Upperfilters value has not reappeared though.

Any idea how to fix the broken Game Jackal installation? It used to work ok. Should I just reinstall it? Will it keep my game settings or will I have to re-profile everything?

Thanks.

Back