• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Windows 7 and HD DVD/Blu-Ray Playback

Spexs

So I've been trying to find a working media player for Windows 7 to play both HD DVD and BD discs but have been unsuccessful. I've tried PowerDVD, WinDVD, Nero Showtime and Media Center. Every single one of them just locks up when trying to open the disc.

I'm just curious if anyone has been able to get this to work in Windows 7.

*EDIT*
I also tried ArcSoft Totalmedia Theatre but was not able to even open the program in Windows 7.

TMT 3 supports Windows 7 in a limited fashion. I have TMT 3 Platinum running in a system with Windows 7 x64 build 7068, which was upgraded from 7057. Arcsoft has posted a trial version, but it will not play Blu-ray disks. I have been very pleased with TMT3 thus far.

I have PowerDVD 7.3 playing BD/HD-DVD on my Windows 7-based HTPC. It won't work in build 7057. That's an internal build. Try it on build 7000 (the official public beta).

Last edited:
I am finishing up my PC build now, and looking to get some software. I've been reading that you cannot play HD or Blu Ray DVD's in Vista Media Center.... even with 3rd party applications like PowerDVD. Is this still true? If not, how is it done? Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks!Ben BTW, I'm running a Pioneer BDC-S02 (Blu Ray) and Toshiba SD-H802A (HD DVD) on a Sapphire PI-AM2RS690MHD mobo with a 2400XT

I am finishing up my PC build now, and looking to get some software. I've been reading that you cannot play HD or Blu Ray DVD's in Vista Media Center.... even with 3rd party applications like PowerDVD. Is this still true? If not, how is it done? Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks!Ben BTW, I'm running a Pioneer BDC-S02 (Blu Ray) and Toshiba SD-H802A (HD DVD) on a Sapphire PI-AM2RS690MHD mobo with a 2400XT
You can with TMT 2.

You can with TMT2, TMT3 or PowerDVD 9. What you cannot do is play HD-DVD's automatically within Windows 7 period. Microsoft removed the Event Handlers for HD-DVD format. You will need to launch your player manually. Or, trade in your HD-DVD's for Blu-ray's.

Hi peeps.

I'm also trying to play HD-DVDs on Win 7 x64 (via the X360 addon).
Problem is, when I try PowerDVD 7 or 8, I always get the famous "incompatible graphics driver" error. PowerDVD 9 doesn't even seem to support HD-DVD for me.
And as for TMT3, it does read the HD-DVD....but only the audio!
There's basically no video, only a darkish background. :confused:

Does anyone have any idea what is the problem? :(

Thanks in advance for your answer. ;)

Last edited:
powerDVD 8 and up do not support HD DVD. On the verge of releaseing PD8 they ripped out HD Compatibility when Toshiba threw in the towel. Arcsoft still has HD DVD support but they don't advertise it.

My windows 7 shipped today, should get it Thursday looks like I'll be testing everything this weekend :)

I have read in a news of an german computer-magazin-website that Windows 7 blocks codecs from other providers. But I do not know if this is only for the players wich are a part of it like the windows media-player.
If you are able to understand german, here is the link:

http://www.heise.de/ct/Windows-7-blockiert-Codecs-von-Drittanbietern-Update--/news/meldung/135209

found an english thread:

http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=9675

When in full screen Windows 7/Media Center 7 disables autoplay for DVD, PDVD intergrates into MC7 for BD playback

MC7 will play DVD's w/ what evr autoplay dictates if MC7 is in a window

MC7 is designed to intergrate w/ Theatertek for DVD playback, but it doesn't work for me, I have tried it more than once

ocgw

peace

powerDVD 8 and up do not support HD DVD. On the verge of releaseing PD8 they ripped out HD Compatibility when Toshiba threw in the towel. Arcsoft still has HD DVD support but they don't advertise it.

My windows 7 shipped today, should get it Thursday looks like I'll be testing everything this weekend :)

Please keep us updated. ;)

As for PowerDVD 8, I was using the "custom" version with HD DVD playback, but like for PowerDVD 7, I only got the "incompatible graphics driver" error.

Please keep us updated. ;)

As for PowerDVD 8, I was using the "custom" version with HD DVD playback, but like for PowerDVD 7, I only got the "incompatible graphics driver" error.
will do. Got the Windows 7 Professional in today

Does anyone have a recommendation on doing a clean install over upgrading?

Clean install is always the way to go (it's also faster).
After reading a little bit more, I'm sure clean install is the way to go. However I am going to try it both ways. I'll do the upgrade on the HTPC to see what works and what doesn't -it isn't that big a deal if I reformat the HTPC, just a PITA.

The PC I use for all my office programs I'll go the safe an sure route of clean install with reinstillation of everything backed up.

A little disappointing that clean install is necessary for decent preformance

Well that went nowhere fast.
I can not install the 32bit upgrade on my HTPC. It stopped instillation said my version of Vista (which came with my PC) wasn't compatible with the Windows 7 32 bit upgrade and I would have to do a clean install.

Fine but if I am doing a clean install I'm goign with the 64 bit Windows 7.

I actually prefer the clean install, but I wonder how many are banging their heads against the wall trying to figure this out :bang:

BTY ditto for my work PC, which also had Vista from the factory. Maybe it's only the HP computers.

Below is the error message
Windows Vista™ Home Premium cannot be upgraded to Windows 7 Professional. You can choose to install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional instead, but this is different from an upgrade, and does not keep your files, settings, and programs. You’ll need to reinstall any programs using the original installation discs or files. To save your files before installing Windows, back them up to an external location such as a CD, DVD, or external hard drive. To install a new copy of Windows 7 Professional, click the Back button in the upper left-hand corner, and select “Custom (advanced)”.

Last edited:
That's because you're upgrading from home premium to Pro, if you had Vista pro on your system there'd be no issue

That's because you're upgrading from home premium to Pro, if you had Vista pro on your system there'd be no issue
There wasn't a Vista Pro. I'm not even sure what the equivalent to this Pro would be aside from XP pro.

There probably is an equivalent but I fail to see why it should matter in this upgrade. With a install this big it shouldn't be too big a deal. It is only like 3 features that pro has the that Premium doesn't. OK maybe a lot more code too, but still.

Ultimately this is not an issue to me becasue I wanted to do clean installs anyway, but the experiment to see if the programs like Anydvd, TMT 3, BD Clown, Make MKV, would run properly after the upgrade has to be scrubbed.

Vista Business was the Professional equivalent. I actually preferred that naming convention, as it implied that the extra features may be useful to businesses. I'm not sure why typical home users want Win 7 Professional (unless they have special needs for the extra Pro features).

Well, I guess XP mode is a feature some home users would want.

Back