• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Wii dvd's

atdf

I have AnyDVD and CloneDVD2....does anyone know if I can copy
my granddaughter's Wii games? We're afraid her DVD's will get
damaged and would like to have backups. Thanks for any help.

ATDF

my granddaughter's Wii games?

No. Anydvd and Clonedvd are intended for commercially released dvd-video discs only.

my granddaughter's Wii games? We're afraid her DVD's will get
damaged and would like to have backups. Thanks for any help.

ATDF

No, there isn't anything that AnyDVD can do to help copy Wii games. To copy them you need a specfic type of LG DVD reader that will read the discs in a manner that allows you to rip them correctly, the right software to rip it, another drive to burn the output, and you must have installed a mod chip in the Wii to even play the backed up game. This procedure is very similar to backing up XBox games. The same type of drive is necessary and mod chipping the console.

I suggest doing a Google search for "copy wii games". Remember that you void your warranty when you mod your system and it's possible to brick the system in the process.

Last edited:
Just for reference . . .

You can use Clonecd (instead of Nero) using this method: click http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/471073/2846693

You will need a modchip and a specific drive/reader.

CloneCD works on Wii games? I thought RawDump or such programs were needed as well as only specific LG drives which allow dumping the disc appropriately which not all readers can do.

Anyway, if CloneCD works then cool but I didn't know it did.

Edit: You linked to the process I am remembering.

Wow...easier to buy new games. LOL Thank you so much for
taking the time to answer my question.
ATDF

No, there isn't anything that AnyDVD can do to help copy Wii games. To copy them you need a specfic type of LG DVD reader that will read the discs in a manner that allows you to rip them correctly, the right software to rip it, another drive to burn the output, and you must have installed a mod chip in the Wii to even play the backed up game. This procedure is very similar to backing up XBox games. The same type of drive is necessary and mod chipping the console.

I suggest doing a Google search for "copy wii games". Remember that you void your warranty when you mod your system and it's possible to brick the system in the process.

Wow...easier to buy new games. LOL Thank you so much for
taking the time to answer my question.
ATDF

Yes, in the end, IMHO, it really is easier to buy a second copy if necessary and in the meantime try to protect the game discs by not letting the kids use them unsupervised. Yes, sadly, that's easier said than done, I know.

If you are experienced then modding a system can be done but for most people it isn't something they can do in which case they end up trusting someone else to mod the console for them and if they brick your console then you are out money for paying them to mod it and then you lose money on the bricked system and having to buy a new one.

Wii media copy backup modchips

Wii discs are not exactly DVDs. Nintendo uses a special format that is based on the DVD specifications called RVL-006, most PC DVD drives cannot read this format.

There is a reading method with the LG-8164b/8163b/8162b/8181b DVD-ROM and a raw dump program. Once the raw data is read out, it can be burned to a DVD+R/RW with a copy software.

In addition to this the original Wii discs have a BCA mark on the inner ring of each disc, e.g. a bar code. This BCA mark cannot be reproduced by a DVD writer and the Wii appears to read out this bar code. If the code is not present on the disc, the Wii won't accept the inserted media.

Therefore installing a modchip is necessary in any case in order to play backups.

The WiiKey / Xeno-Wii ModChip is said to be able to backup an inserted Wii disc to SD card. The data can be transferred to PC and burned to a DVD+R/RW afterwards.

Disclaimer: This is a purely theoretical digression. We don't
recommend installing a modchip on a Wii. This may lead to unwanted side effects, eventually disabling/destroying the console.

Chris...thank you very much for your answer to my question. My
granddaughter will just have to be very careful with her Wii games. LOL
Thanks again....ATDF

for lots of info on WII related stuff, take a look at gbatemp forums, and in particular look for a program called "WII Scrubber" in a nutshell this clever little application will strip out all the blank usless data inserted simply to pack out the DVD image to full size, effectively allowing you to strip the discs down to a fraction of their original size and then rebuild the disc structure later when you burn it!

you will of course require the mod chip mentioned above, but there are advertisers on that forum for just that :) .... and as mentioned, standard disclaimers prevail, this is not a recommendation, you mod your console you void any warranty, i only provide the info where to look because you asked for it, and gbatemp is one of the better places i know of

Last edited by a moderator:
Slinky...that you so much for the info ... I will check out Wii Scrubber right now.
ATDF

Back