• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Why does GameJackal now require elevation in Vista?

Tuttle

I just upgraded from GameJackal 2.9.18.610 to 3.0.1.6, and the biggest difference I noticed is that GameJackal now always prompts for elevation in Vista (2.x didn't prompt, but I could right-click | Run As Administrator if I wanted to).

This is a pain, because if GameJackal is running elevated then it launches my games elevated. If my games are running elevated then my mouse software can't interact with them and my 5-button mouse starts acting like a 3-button mouse.

I can get around it by making GameJackal not launch the games automatically, but that means I need to start GameJackal, run the game separately, and shut down GameJackal afterwards.

None of my games so far have needed GameJackal running elevated to make things work, so I'm not sure why elevation suddenly became mandatory. In any case, would it be possible to get manifest-less versions of GameJackal.exe and GameJackal_cl.exe shipped with future versions, even if they're a non-default option? Running un-elevated works fine for me, and having to elevate is a pain.

I hear your pain... however if GJ runs unelevated, there can be problems (note that not all users will have issues, only some). So for us it's a tough one. Long term we hope to remove this requirement.

What you can do is install the (soon to be released) "Game Jackal Plus" addon which allows GJ to run as a service, and detects games starting and activates the required profile automatically. This addon should be available in a few days.

Back