• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which program to use

BaronZemo

I have not used CloneCd in a long while. The last I remember it could not back up dvd pc games because the dvd readers will not read RAW data from the dvd.

My question is, if you want to back up a pc game dvd, what is the best program for it Game jackyl or clonecd? with either program can you make at least an emulated back up on a dvd blank or must it only work as virtual image on the hard drive? Also, what dvd reader/write works best for this?

I also tried alcohol and it did not work too well either..always liked clone cd, much easier too use, when it was run by that guy in switzerland it was the best

Game Jackal does not produce a backup of cd or dvd game discs. There are no disc burning facilities. GJ allows the profiling of game discs to allow game playing without the game disc in the drive.

Game Jackal does not produce a backup of cd or dvd game discs. There are no disc burning facilities. GJ allows the profiling of game discs to allow game playing without the game disc in the drive.

will it overcome the protection ? Also will clone cd make an emulated disc backup?

AFAIK, clone CD & similar programs will not clone most current protections e.g. TAGES, SECUREROM, beacuse a standard PC DVD writer cannot reproduce what is written on the original DVD. If you read up on how the protection schmes work you'll see why.

GJ works with some but not all games - seach the forum for the games you have in mind - it can't yet cope with safedisc & starforce protection schemes.

as an example, a while ago I trialled clone CD & tested with tomb raider anniversary, but the game would not run from the copy, only from the original. but GJ made a profile of the original disc OK ,so with GJ I could then play the game without having original DVD in drive.

I don't think we're allowed to post links to other sitres which deal with copy protection schemes but google will find them for you.

Honestly, I'm not sure how many types of protections used on older protected games that CloneCD could create a backup for. The last listed new protection handled was SafeDisc 3. It's been awhile.

The newest and most annoying protection in North America is SecuROM which definitely cannot be handled by CloneCD.

For the newer protections emulation is required and that is where GameJackal comes in. It has been around awhile and existed before Slysoft acquired it but I had honestly never heard of it. It has to be one of the most unique and brilliant approaches to dealing with playing your legally purchased and owned games without having to worry about damaging your discs when you have a game that requires the disc be in the CD/DVD drive.

For dealing with games GameJackal is the best solution these days.

Last edited:
The newest and most annoying protection in North America is SecuROM which definitely cannot be handled by CloneCD.

Clonecd can handle Securom versions that are below 4.8. But Securom below 4.8 wasn't used on dvds as far as I know. Securom above 4.8 requires DPM (sometimes the twinpeaks method worked but only with specific drives) and the most recent versions require emulation. SecuRom is not new, by the way.

Last edited:
Back