• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which program to capture BD screenshots ?

1920x1080

I normally use PowerDVD 9 to view BD movies. I like PowerDVD.
As you probably know PowerDVD and other commercial software deliberately block the capture of screenshots as ordered by Hollywood.
If you think about it that's pretty insane. I mean we are talking about taking a screenshot - a picture for God's sake, ...anyway.

I know that some other software players don't have that problem. For example VLC media player. But as it is, VLC media player is still a little rough around the edges.
As a bluray player it's not that good. Last time I used it, it could not "open" a BD disc, nor did any of the movie menus work. The only way to play a BD movie was to load the m2ts file.
That's a hit and miss situation anyway as many times since it doesn't properly support blu-ray, it loaded the movie itself and a secondary window which played another track or something else.
If I closed that one the movie itself would also close.
Long story short VLC would be great if it only properly supported BD movies.
The point is, it does capture good BD pictures.

One thing I did try was to load AnyDVD HD and play a BD movie with PowerDVD thinking it will work since the movie will "seem" unprotected to PowerDVD.
Does not work. Looks like CyberLink simply disable the capture feature when any high definition content is playing regardless if it's copy-protected or not.

What I would like to know is if there is any way I can watch BD movies using PowerDVD 9 but still somehow capture screenshots ? (Maybe using a 3rd party program to override their capture command.)

If that is not possible, what's the next "best" program to watch BD movies ? (Commercial or freeware/sharweare/whatever)
Since PowerDVD served me well for the last 5+ years (watching DVD's) I didn't bother keeping track on the other players.
Now that I'm moving to DB's, looks like because of this one issue, I may have to switch players.
And yes, I do take many screenshots. Basically there probably isn't one movie I watch where I don't take several shots during it's screening.
It could be open vistas, scenery goofs, gore shots, sexy shots, nice architecture, etc.

All I want to do is, once in a while, whilst watching a movie when I see something of interest press a key (usually C) and dump a screenshot of whatever is on the screen at the time.
I can do that with DVD's using PowerDVD but not BD's. I know it's a AACS requirement but this has nothing to do with piracy.
Ironic that if I wanted to, I could easily rip the protected movie to an image or as-is straight to the hard disk, yet trying to grab a few stills is harder.

I can do that with DVD's using PowerDVD but not BD's. I know it's a AACS requirement but this has nothing to do with piracy.
I'm surprised screen capture works with DVDs. Apart from appeasing copyright holders, I thought that another reason that video stills were hard to capture is that many video players, for reasons of processing speed, write video data to a special video overlay buffer which is separate from the normal video RAM, and that a normal screen capture simply doesn't "see" the images in the overlay buffer.

Perhaps because DVD video has a much lower data rate than Blu-ray, PowerDVD can afford to write DVD video straight into the normal video RAM?

It's probably way more trouble than it's worth, and might just cause new problems for you, but you could try setting up PowerDVD on a virtual machine. Depending on how the VM's virtualized video card is set up, it might not have a video overlay buffer, or it will fake having one but will end up sending video into normal video RAM.

Last edited:
Specialized screenshot capturing software can be greatly helpful.

That kind won't. And its harmful to a computer too. Nobody wants a keylogger on their system. The only thing that stuff will do is take screenshots of the desktop and open program. I doubt it will work for blurays. As its forbidden by the standard to allow screenshot capture. Which is why a program such as powerdvd won't allow it.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

Many paid AVCHD editors will let you capture a still image from a m2ts file. I haven't tried free ones, but that type of program should be able to do it.

VLC media player does it from .ts file or when playing movie from ISO. Maybe not the greatest player but it is free and does an adequate job of playing many formats.

Back