• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Where's the Consumer Revolution?

wdgoldstein

Beta Tester
I own a Samsung BD-P100 as well as a Toshiba A30 so I am covered whatever happens however I want to know where the revolution is.

Today I purchased Across the Universe and tried to play it in my Samsung. No soap. Took 2 minutes to load then go jittery tripple image. I am currently flasing the Samsung for the 3rd time since I bought it. I am a computer professional as well as a DVD junkie so I knew what the problem is. The avarage consumer doesn't.

I knew to go online to Samsung to D/L the latest firmware, the average user doesn't.

I knew how to unzip the file and burn the ISO image, the average user doesn't.

Few of the Blu-Ray players come with Ethernet connectory. Few consumers know how to set one up even if they are so equipped. None of the current Blu-Ray players notify the consumer that they need to update the firmware. None of the players automatically go online and do the needed update.

I imagine that most consumers return the discs as defective then end up calling support when the replacement doesn't solve the problem.

Where's the outrage. Where are the demands that every disc work in every player. I am shocked.

I own a Samsung BD-P100 as well as a Toshiba A30 so I am covered whatever happens however I want to know where the revolution is.

Today I purchased Across the Universe and tried to play it in my Samsung. No soap. Took 2 minutes to load then go jittery tripple image. I am currently flasing the Samsung for the 3rd time since I bought it. I am a computer professional as well as a DVD junkie so I knew what the problem is. The avarage consumer doesn't.

I knew to go online to Samsung to D/L the latest firmware, the average user doesn't.

I knew how to unzip the file and burn the ISO image, the average user doesn't.

Few of the Blu-Ray players come with Ethernet connectory. Few consumers know how to set one up even if they are so equipped. None of the current Blu-Ray players notify the consumer that they need to update the firmware. None of the players automatically go online and do the needed update.

I imagine that most consumers return the discs as defective then end up calling support when the replacement doesn't solve the problem.

Where's the outrage. Where are the demands that every disc work in every player. I am shocked.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blu-ray. ;)
IMHO the only BD player to recommend is the PS3. It has an Ethernet port, is easy to upgrade, works well, loads discs very fast and is reasonably priced (even if you have to buy the remote control).

Welcome to the wonderful world of Blu-ray. ;)
IMHO the only BD player to recommend is the PS3. It has an Ethernet port, is easy to upgrade, works well, loads discs very fast and is reasonably priced (even if you have to buy the remote control).

You are not the only one. I've seen a couple sites recommending only buying the PS3 for playing BluRay. I have one and not only is it a good BluRay player, it's also a great jet engine simulator. The PS3 is too loud and has no IR. I won't put it in my living room. IMHO BluRay is still not ready for the average consumer. There are a few BluRay 2.0 players out there, but they are very expensive ($600). Maybe in a year or two BluRay will become cost effective.

My advice for those not willing to drop $600 on a BD 2.0 player: Pick up a cheap HD DVD player. Buy regular DVD's and use the HD DVD player for up-converting. In a couple of years, pick up a BluRay player.

Oh, one more solution:

Wait for SlySoft to break BD+ and get Sigma Designs 863x based media center. Media Center + 750GB drive=$350

Last edited:
You are not the only one. I've seen a couple sites recommending only buying the PS3 for playing BluRay. I have one and not only is it a good BluRay player, it's also a great jet engine simulator.
Yes, the 60&80GB models certainly are. I have heard, that the 40GB model is almost silent (and consumes less power), but I haven't checked myself.

join the class action lawsuit

Owners of the Samsung player are joining together.
________
EXPERT INSURANCE

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a 40gb PS3 for the purpose of playing blu-ray discs, plus streaming home avc-hd videos of my kids.

I'd be lying if I said I couldn't hear it at 10', but it is not obnoxiously loud.

It is disgraceful that players like the samsung have so many bugs, and that the publishers of the films don't do compatibility testing. It isn't like DVD where there are thousands of different DVD players.

Yes, the 60&80GB models certainly are. I have heard, that the 40GB model is almost silent (and consumes less power), but I haven't checked myself.

I have the 60GB. It has to be sitting out in the open or it really starts howling. Ironically, if I put it in the entertainment center it gets louder than if it's sitting on the floor. Really sensitive to heat. If the ambient temperature is over >90 (guesstimate) it really starts wailing.

Glad to hear the 40's are better. Maybe there is hope... Now if they could just get power on by IR working they would have something.

it could kill HD DVDs'

Sony is leveraging and using blu-ray to push their own product. I do not think this is an oversight just sony being greedy
________
Honda ns500 history

Last edited by a moderator:
WAKE UP! HD-DVD is only dead in the WEST! Many, if not most, Asian and East European films are still coming out on HDDVD. The war is NOT dead, even if HolyCrap says it is!

Dam dudes!!! it's over Let it go. Start buying Blu ray and sell off your HD DVD's as fast as you can. Think of it like enron stock. hahahahaha suckers!!

Seriosly tho only get a PS3 or HTPC right now. Stand alone players for either side were never nor are they ready now for prime time.

Game over :rock:

And I don't understand why everyone speaks as if someone is forcing them to buy a new format. Stick to DVD, and tell all your family and friends to do the same. Spread the message to not buy Blu-ray AT ALL. Then they will get the message.

I've started doing exactly that. Unfortunately, in the US at least there will be only BluRay shortly. Luckily, I can actually say "wait" with a clear conscience because there aren't many (any) BluRay players ready from Joe-average consumer yet. <rant>After seeing see video's like 300, The Italian Job and Babel where they intentionally shoot with grainy video, I don't know if Hollywood is ready for HD. Further there is the 2.35 format that seems to be so prevalent in all HD videos. Who wants to spend several thousands dollars on a wide screen TV, just to see the same black bars they would on a 4:3? Don't tell me it looks better because I've seen it in the theater and it looks just as crappy there.

While I'm ranting and I think this is on topic, why is it legal for any vendor to create a monopoly? It's disgusts me that Sony, M$ or Toshiba for that matter can pay a studio/company to create format specific content.</rant>

Oh, I feel much better now. :)

After seeing see video's like 300, The Italian Job and Babel where they intentionally shoot with grainy video, I don't know if Hollywood is ready for HD.
I don't see the problem. Noise (grain) and resolution are orthogonal parameters.

Further there is the 2.35 format that seems to be so prevalent in all HD videos. Who wants to spend several thousands dollars on a wide screen TV, just to see the same black bars they would on a 4:3? Don't tell me it looks better because I've seen it in the theater and it looks just as crappy there.
Unless you want a different format for every picture aspect ratio movies are shot with (and there's quite a few) you gotta make a compromise to accommodate everything from formats wider than cinemascope to 4:3. And if the borders suck in a home theater you can still build/install one of those fancy retracting curtains...

Back