• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What's supposed to happen?

jpmccusa

I just downloaded 6.8.0.0 and have a problem with it --- when I have the "Remove annoying titles" option check, with the time slider on either side of the link of what I want to get rid of, in DVDshrink I get "Invalid DVD structure". It sounds like a very useful additional feature, so how do I make it work? The logfile is attached.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_6.8.0.0_Info_D_ZLATI_UHORI.zip
    58.6 KB · Views: 4
Is this a copy or an original?
Video DVD (or CD) label: ZLATI_UHORI
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.

What happens if you exit/disable AnyDVD before using DVD Shrink?

Last edited:
It works fine without AnyDVD. It also works fine if I disable the "Remove annoying titles" option. It does NOT work whether I put the slide at more than or less than the title's 4:55 running time, with the option active.

Yes, it's an original disc.

DVDShrink is far too old, and no longer updated and supported as well, to read the structure of most new DVDs. You are lucky that the structure of some can be read by DVDShrink. So the problem is with DVDShrink trying to directly rip the DVD, NOT with AnyDVD.

With that said if you still want to process the DVD with DVDShrink you first need to rip the DVD to HD using that feature of AnyDVD. Then DVDShrink will be able to read the structure correctly from the files on your computer.

This is nothing new, it has been known for quite some time that older unsupported software such as DVDShrink can have problems with newer DVDs even with AnyDVD running in the background. Plus the new features AnyDVD has introduced with version 6.7.9.0 has only increased the frequency of problems with the older software.

I just downloaded 6.8.0.0 and have a problem with it --- when I have the "Remove annoying titles" option check, with the time slider on either side of the link of what I want to get rid of, in DVDshrink I get "Invalid DVD structure". It sounds like a very useful additional feature, so how do I make it work? The logfile is attached.

Agreed.
Rip the DVD (to folder) with AnyDVD first, with your desired options checked ON. Then import that folder into DVDShrink.

If that fails... then report back. That option isn't guaranteed to work for all disks - it depends on how they are mastered to begin with.

But (in theory) DVDShrink is always able to process the output of an AnyDVD rip. (at least with AnyDVD at defaults).
-W

Last edited:
OK, here we go.

It worked fine with the rip to harddisc...but why do we have to do this? It defeats the whole idea of on-the-fly processing! I tried shrink with the option enabled on another disc, "Six-String Samurai" and I get the same result as I did with "Zlati Uhori". Note that this is a quite elderly disc, made when shrink was being supported. Clearly the problem lies with AnyDVD, if AnyDVD and the option are preventing the processing! I'll go back to the old version until you get things straightened out, and if I want to edit my discs I'll use VOBblanker as usual.

It worked fine with the rip to harddisc...but why do we have to do this? It defeats the whole idea of on-the-fly processing! I tried shrink with the option enabled on another disc, "Six-String Samurai" and I get the same result as I did with "Zlati Uhori". Note that this is a quite elderly disc, made when shrink was being supported. Clearly the problem lies with AnyDVD, if AnyDVD and the option are preventing the processing! I'll go back to the old version until you get things straightened out, and if I want to edit my discs I'll use VOBblanker as usual.

You must have been lucky so far. Having to use the "Rip video to harddisk" option in AnyDVD on discs with structural protection has been going on for quite awhile now. AnyDVD can not/does not remove the structural issues "on the fly" and Shrink can't handle it. Discs with structural protection "should" be the only ones though.

Not quite

I think you missed the point --- the "Remove annoying titles" option DOES NOT WORK with DVDshrink. It in effect imposes a new level of protection so that discs which work fine on the fly with old AnyDVD do not work any longer. This is a flaw in the program and it needs to be addressed. Stop blaming the victim...me and others like me...who can no longer use AnyDVD as it was intended.

Stop blaming the victim...me and others like me...who can no longer use AnyDVD as it was intended.

You got a bee in your bonnet or something? I didn't see anything in the post that "blamed" you for anything. I, as well as many others, use Shrink from time to time. When I use Shrink I usually rip first just to avoid any problems.

Yes I do

Yes I do.

AnyDVD is supposed to work with on-the-fly decrypting except in the rare cases with structural protection. Ripping to hard disc is an unwanted waste of time with most discs and an unwelcome step that negates the on-the-fly decryption that we paid for. Now it doesn't provide it at all as near as I can tell. If you want to rip to hard disc as a matter of routine that's your business but it doesn't mean I want to. I am sure I'm not alone in that.

Am I making myself clear? --- This problem now occurs with discs WITHOUT structural protection, and saying that we were somehow lucky to be able to process discs without structural protection before the new options came along is not helpful.

It is my contention that more work has to be done to continue to allow on-the-fly decryption...saying that we should suck it up and rip everything to hard drive is not an acceptable approach! The problem I'm trying to avoid is one created by the new AnyDVD features!

It does work with 'on the fly' decryption, but when asking it to remove annoying trailers you're asking it to do something other than decryption, it's looks like it's having to physically alter one of the files in memory so that when you play it skips past those files. Certain programs have no issue with this, but old programs such as DVDshrink do due to the age (hasn't been updated since 2004). Simple answer is to either rip to the hard drive with the option on or turn off the option and blank them out in DVDshrink. I suppose you'll have to wait and see if James has decided to make it backwards compatible with old unsupported software.

Last edited:
Yes I do.

AnyDVD is supposed to work with on-the-fly decrypting except in the rare cases with structural protection. Ripping to hard disc is an unwanted waste of time with most discs and an unwelcome step that negates the on-the-fly decryption that we paid for. Now it doesn't provide it at all as near as I can tell. If you want to rip to hard disc as a matter of routine that's your business but it doesn't mean I want to. I am sure I'm not alone in that.

Am I making myself clear? --- This problem now occurs with discs WITHOUT structural protection, and saying that we were somehow lucky to be able to process discs without structural protection before the new options came along is not helpful.

It is my contention that more work has to be done to continue to allow on-the-fly decryption...saying that we should suck it up and rip everything to hard drive is not an acceptable approach! The problem I'm trying to avoid is one created by the new AnyDVD features!
DVDShrink doesn't like gaps within a cell. As AnyDVD cannot "shrink" cells on a physical disc, where the sector locations are fixed, this problem cannot be solved. It will do this when using the AnyDVD ripper.
Either use a different software (e.g., elby CloneDVD) or keep this option disabled.

Pity, that --- thanks for the explanation (and all your other efforts on our behalf)!

Back