• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What is with the odd resolutions?

DQ

So I was just looking at this and saw the resolutions. If you pull any of them down its play fine but with giant black bars. So the image takes up like only 50% of the center of the screen or something to that effect. I don't get it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-16 164103.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-16 164103.png
    141.7 KB · Views: 68
So I was just looking at this and saw the resolutions. If you pull any of them down its play fine but with giant black bars. So the image takes up like only 50% of the center of the screen or something to that effect. I don't get it.
is that HBOMax? if yes thats because of the 4k HDR & 4K Dolby Vision, 1080p, 720p qualitys

is that HBOMax? if yes thats because of the 4k HDR & 4K Dolby Vision, 1080p, 720p qualitys

It is but that's not why. Notice its not 3840x2160 for 4k. And 1080 is not 1920.

Playing it it comes out looking like you played 480 but in high res.

that last one is a 4:3 aspect ratio for 4k content, perfectly compliant with the 4K spec. Seeing as you have "Justice League" selected, that's EVEN NORMAL FOR THAT TITLE! It's done intentionally, as per director's instruction to maintain creative vision from original filming to disc release.

that last one is a 4:3 aspect ratio for 4k content, perfectly compliant with the 4K spec. Seeing as you have "Justice League" selected, that's EVEN NORMAL FOR THAT TITLE! It's done intentionally, as per director's instruction to maintain creative vision from original filming to disc release.

Ah. That's what I was wondering. Because everyone of those is 4:3 then.

Justice League was intentionally shot in 4:3 as per the director's intention. The 1080 is still there, that's the dimensions from top to bottom. It went from 1920 to 1440 to crop out the side bars so it doesn't waste the blank side space to store blank data in the file.

Justice League was intentionally shot in 4:3 as per the director's intention. The 1080 is still there, that's the dimensions from top to bottom. It went from 1920 to 1440 to crop out the side bars so it doesn't waste the blank side space to store blank data in the file.

Yeah it was the 4:3 that threw me off. I never thought they would do that on purpose.

Yeah it was the 4:3 that threw me off. I never thought they would do that on purpose.

The crazy part about it is that HBO can do it with Justice League, but they waste so much space in 1920X1080 without the crop on their 90's sitcoms that were shot in 4:3 for tv. Makes no sense why they don't make it all uniform. Then it's really hard to tell what's HD or SD sourced by the way it's listed because a lot of those tv shows were just transferred from SD tape and you can tell, but they still have the 1080 high bitrates on the site. Unless I know the series has been shot on film, it's really a gamble when downloading the 1080 content. Most of the SD tape transfers that have been done in my experience look like shit.

Snyder's cut through me for a loop as well until after doing some research and finding out it was supposed to be in 4:3 format.

You American's are so lucky to be able to get HBO Max.

The crazy part about it is that HBO can do it with Justice League, but they waste so much space in 1920X1080 without the crop on their 90's sitcoms that were shot in 4:3 for tv. Makes no sense why they don't make it all uniform.

It's definitely odd, but the black bars probably compress really well, so it's hard to say how much space is actually being wasted.

It's definitely odd, but the black bars probably compress really well, so it's hard to say how much space is actually being wasted.
I just downloaded the HBO version of fresh prince of bel-air s1e1 to test the look before downloading the whole series. That 1080 upscale they did looks terrible. The 480 dvd remux file looks better to me than the 1080! I'm sure glad I checked before wasting download tokens on that.

It becomes a problem with some displays. For example, if you have a display that is not 16:9 you won't get optimal scaling. A particularly bad use case would be 4:3 pillar boxed on a 4:3 monitor where you end up with a pillar box inside a letterbox and can't watch anywhere near full resolution (large black borders top, bottom and sides). So, it is bad practice from that point of view.

One odd resolution problem encountered with AS at the moment it that the edge case of downloading early seasons of The Simpsons on D+ in 4:3 is not supported yet, so it is all cropped and has more obvious quality issues (cropping results in fewer scan lines stretched further to fill the screen, causing more jaggies and line twitter, plus visual gags in some episodes are cut off from view).

Last edited:
One odd resolution problem encountered with AS at the moment it that the edge case of downloading early seasons of The Simpsons on D+ in 4:3 is not supported yet, so it is all cropped and has more obvious quality issues (cropping results in fewer scan lines stretched further to fill the screen, causing more jaggies and line twitter, plus visual gags in some episodes are cut off from view).
I thought that was fixed ... you need to disable "Remastered Aspect ratio" on the D+ Simpsons website in the details-tab
Edit: the download itself is 16:9 with black bars left and right, but nothing from the picture is cropped

I thought that was fixed ... you need to disable "Remastered Aspect ratio" on the D+ Simpsons website in the details-tab
Edit: the download itself is 16:9 with black bars left and right, but nothing from the picture is cropped

Ah, that explains the confusion. And that is a bit poor on Disney's part for reasons mentioned above.

The other part of the confusion is the details tab with the switch is not available in AS, and it wasn't clear that it was a per-session/browser/device or per-account setting that would work when set from another session in another browser. Interestingly enough I must have turned it off some time ago, but now it can't be turned on (it is disabled, but at least on the desired setting).

Ah, that explains the confusion. And that is a bit poor on Disney's part for reasons mentioned above.

The other part of the confusion is the details tab with the switch is not available in AS, and it wasn't clear that it was a per-session/browser/device or per-account setting that would work when set from another session in another browser. Interestingly enough I must have turned it off some time ago, but now it can't be turned on (it is disabled, but at least on the desired setting).

Same for me ... had this disabled some time ago and it must have been enabled again by some provider actions ...
I'm guessing that this setting is per series ... since the details tab is with "The Simpsons"
You might try some other old series and check the setting...

Back