• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What Does Your Storage Environment/Media Server Look Like?

There's no danger in filling it up, it's just 1s and 0s!

They don't always make noise before dying but if you don't leave them running full time that should help - just handle them carefully. I've known people who kept drives in safes and noticed that they had a high failure rate - opening and closing the safe drawer would bang the drive aorund pretty good even though it wasn't spinning.:bang:

If you're going to a Microcenter you may be near me actually as there aren't many and there's one near me. You will not find unRAID NAS there though. unRAID is pretty much a build yourself solution although they do also sell them built. If you build yourself you can do it piecemeal slowly and buy drives as needed. They have a free version of the software that can handle three drives with one being parity - so to data drives. Is good for seeing if some old junk machine laying around will run the software and to get used to using it etc.. If you are comfortable building computers this is a good way to go. Check out their forums to learn more.

There are other ways to do this with other software - free and otherwise. Software like FreeNAS and others can be used with various hardware to build network storage systems similar to mine. Lots of pros and cons to all of the various ways to do it, unRAID is just the one I'm most comfortable with so you will want to research other solutions too I'm sure. Honestly I've not seen many store bought solutions that are as flexible or as affordable as rolling your own. <shrug>

Yea but those guys at micro center are pretty good. The tech guys, salesmen are salesmen. I very interested in learning about the unraid setup but I'm slow on the learning curve. Thanks for the link.

Do you live in the Chicago area? send me a PM

Yea but those guys at micro center are pretty good. The tech guys, salesmen are salesmen. I very interested in learning about the unraid setup but I'm slow on the learning curve. Thanks for the link.

Do you live in the Chicago area? send me a PM

Ah sorry, VA! Hopefully they can give you some good advice there. Post back what they recommend and check sites like the AVS forums to see what others think of the product. Always good to get input from others who've used things hands on.

I am with unraid too.
1 500 GB drive parity
10 500 GB drives data
I can fit another 3 drives in the server
I converted some of my "lesser" dvds to divx, shrunk the others to 4.3 Gigs, and kept full size some like godfather, lord of the rings etc..
I managed to fit 1600 movies on my server so far.

Pic below
coolermaster-btx-total2.jpg

Gnollo, take a look at the Supermicro SATA 5in3 cages that NewEgg sells if you run out of rack space. I have that same case - two of them - and the cages fit with minimal work.:rock: Only use like 3 power connectors for 5 drives too! I am using three of the cages in my case, there's a little room at the bottom but I do not think another cage will fit. Swapping\adding drives is now WAY easier!

My Linux 10TB Media Server in the garage....

I have upgraded from 12 Seagate 1.0TB drives to 12 Seagate 2.0TB drives in a RAID 6 Array using an Areca 1230 card.
The server chassis is Supermicro 7044T (SC743TQ-865B_alt.jpg), with an additional Supermicro 5 bay hot-swap cage (
CA-M35TIB.JPG
). I was running SLES 10.3, switched to Ubuntu 10 and now running FreeNas.
The server is in my garage, connected via Gbit Ethernet to smart-Gbit switch.
From the garage, I have a 5Ghz wireless N bridge to the living room where the other 5Ghz wireless-N bridge is attached to one of two TViX M-7000A
(
7000_02.jpg
) and the other M-7000A is in my children's playroom.
Finally parted with my old M-5000A which I gave to my brother-in-law and acquired 3 TViX N1 cafe(s) for my children..
I have approximately 2,000 movies at my finger tips within seconds. About 95% of the movies are in ISO format. Everything works perfectly, with my digital content accessible to all media players dynamically. No restrictions and with plenty of horsepower to serve to a couple more if needed. :rock:

Last edited by a moderator:
GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128387

SIIG SC-SAE012-S2 PCI Express x1 SATA II Controller Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150095

Thermaltake Silver Aluminum MozartTx VE1000SWA Cube Tower
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133027

(2x) BYTECC BT-135E-BK 3.5" SATA Aluminum Drive Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994054

(3x) 1.5TB Seagate 32mb 7200.11
(2x) 750GB Seagate 32mb 7200.11
(2x) 640GB WD 16mb
(1x) 500GB Seagate 32mb 7200.11 <----slated for upgrade to 1.5TB next week, 500GB moving to 2nd PC
(1x) Vantec usb 120GB for backup of "My Documents"

2nd PC on Home Network w/ 500GB Seagate

8.4TB Total
300+ BD movies
200+ DVD's
5000+ Songs

All movies (BD + DVD) shortcuts in 1 folder w/ ISO icons sub'd for downloaded cover art ready to play w/ 1 click w/ PowerDVD8

NO RAID, just using every letter in the alphabet for partitions

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

ocgw

peace

Last edited:
Back