• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What are your BluRay Transfer Speeds?

Rippper

I have an LG WH14NS40 14X SATA Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter that supposedly does not have riplock. But my AnyDVD HD transfers have never exceeded 4.31MB/s read speed. Its at or close to just 1X as a 2hr movie will take about 2hr to copy over to ISO or folder. Anybody getting much better speeds than this? I was hoping to get at least 4X speeds.

Anybody getting much better speeds than this?

My main ripping drive (LG WH16NS40) starts around 15MB/s and peaks around 32MB/s. It usually takes less than 30 minutes for an average DL BD to complete. It definitely sounds like there is something wrong with your drive or system.

You could try ripping with something like ImgBurn (with AnyDVD disabled) and see what speeds you get, this will at least eliminate AnyDVD (if the speeds are still slow with it disabled)

No because it's an internal drive, not an external one. Even if it was an external one or still would not be like that because USB 3.0 didn't even exist yet when that drive came out

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. This gives me hope that its a setting somewhere in my system that can improve speeds. I will research this further especially testing with other ripping software.

Yes, this is an internal SATA drive connected directly to the mainboard via SATA cable so no USB layer involved. My 4.31MB/s read speed is very stable. It starts at that speed and goes through the entire transfer right to the end at that exact slowass speed. :doh:

I just got an LG WH16NS40 (firmware 1.00) and tried ripping the "Prometheus" Blu-ray with AnyDVDHD v7.6.1. My ripping speeds were over 25 mb/s but did not hit 30 mb/s. I then applied the 2 firmware updates (1.01 and 1.02) that LG provides for this drive on their web site. I tried ripping "Prometheus" again and the speeds never even hit 1 mb/s. What a bummer! However, something like this had happened to me before with my LG WH14NS40. I was able to restore a high ripping speed by uninstalling the latest version of AnyDVDHD and going back to an old version. In my case I went back to version 7.4.6.0. When I ripped "Prometheus" again, my maximum speed was 32 mb/s. I'm not sure what is going on, but I've found that whenever I have a disc that rips very slowly, I can get the speed back by going to an older version of AnyDVDHD.

You didn't mention if this drive was a new acquisition or came with your machine. It might be worth updating the drivers for it in the hardware manager. The latest should be available through the manufacture.

There are no drivers for an optical drive other than the generic ones windows uses for it. Firmware =\= drivers.

Firmware: tells the drive what speed to use for which blanks, compatibility,...
Driver: let's the drive work with the OS

2 different things

other than that, nice thread necro for a first post AFTER you joined 5 years ago :p

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Last edited:
My 4.31MB/s read speed is very stable. It starts at that speed and goes through the entire transfer right to the end at that exact slowass speed. :doh:

Something is definitely throttling your read speed. The motor speed has to be reduced as the track diameter increases to maintain a constant read speed. How are you transferring, rip to image or what? It might be helpful to post a AnyDVD log to see what's installed on your system.

I just got an LG WH16NS40 .....

I was able to restore a high ripping speed by uninstalling the latest version of AnyDVDHD and going back to an old version. In my case I went back to version 7.4.6.0. When I ripped "Prometheus" again, my maximum speed was 32 mb/s. I'm not sure what is going on, but I've found that whenever I have a disc that rips very slowly, I can get the speed back by going to an older version of AnyDVDHD.

So if you re-install the latest AnyDVDHD rev does it still rip slow? If so you should probably post logs as it sounds like something is wrong with your system. That's not a typical problem and probably not an AnyDVD problem.

There are no drivers for an optical drive other than the generic ones windows uses for it. Firmware =\= drivers...........

That's what I was referring to (the OS driver - not the firmware for the drive itself). If one has an older machine, you might not be able to just plunk in a new drive and get it to work properly without installing the most recent device drivers (which is usually an automatic process sometimes employing a disc that comes with the drive containing the device drivers). Likewise, if a device driver is somehow corrupted, it might lead to operational problems. Reinstalling the driver is just one possible troubleshooting approach, though it's unlikely to fix this problem since reinstalling AnyDVD HD has an effect on ripping speed. That doesn't point to AnyDVD as the culprit but makes a driver issue less likely as the cause.

Last edited:
As Ch3vr0n said, there are no 'newer' drivers for optical drives. Even in Windows 8.1 it still installs the generic optical driver from 2006

As Ch3vr0n said, there are no 'newer' drivers for optical drives. Even in Windows 8.1 it still installs the generic optical driver from 2006

Thank's for that Adbear. I just assumed that a newer driver might be needed to accommodate a BD deck and it's interesting that the older driver can handle those as well. Still, I might consider the driver (in some instances) since it could become corrupted, but then my forte is not computers.

Thank's for that Adbear. I just assumed that a newer driver might be needed to accommodate a BD deck and it's interesting that the older driver can handle those as well. Still, I might consider the driver (in some instances) since it could become corrupted, but then my forte is not computers.

Any driver (or it's registry settings) can become corrupted for one reason or the other and uninstalling and re-installing drivers can fix problems, but if it was a driver problem, the drive would not even be accessible. It wouldn't be just a speed problem.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314060

PS: It would be nice to hear from OP 'Ripper' on what the actual solution was as there are no reposts since the 21st June. When asking for help it's common courtesy to follow up when a solution has been found and adds value to the thread.

Last edited:
Could it be that you plug the usb cable to usb 2.0 instead of usb 3.0?

Even connected to a USB 2.0 port you still easily get 36MB/s read rates. I have several external USB 2.0 BD rom drives and several internal BD rom drives. The external and internal drives all have no issues reading dual layer BD roms at up to 8x or 36MB/s

Last edited:
Back