• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner Bros. HD DVD discs.

IITravel

I'm currently ripping all my HD discs and have about 30 HD DVD discs. Of them, I've been unable to rip 7 (of the 13 WB discs, the other discs are made up mostly of Paramount and Universal), which all seem to be Warner Bros. discs. Was there some anti-copy protection on WB HD DVD discs that wouldn't allow AnyDVD HD to rip them?

Last edited:
I'm currently ripping all my HD discs and have about 30 HD DVD discs. Of them, I've been unable to rip 5 (of the 10 WB discs, the other discs are made up mostly of Paramount and Universal), which all seem to be Warner Bros. discs. Was there some anti-copy protection on WB HD DVD discs that wouldn't allow AnyDVD HD to rip them?

A log file would help more here..just throwing out problems without any log files or what exact error screen shots or what it says doesn't really help???

1. Are your HD DVD's Blu-rays ?

2. Can you create log files for those discs ?

3. If you cannot, what exactly are you doing before you get the error ?

4. What kind of error are you getting ?

5. Which software are you using to copy the disc ?

6. Are you ripping to HDD ? Any other software othen than CloneDVD and AnyDVD ?

thanks in advance.

Since they were all WB titles, and they are HD DVD (not Blu-Rays), I thought that there may have been a protection that was known by those with an HD DVD collection before I went through creating the log file, explaining the whole problem, etc. If you don't have any HD DVD's, then please don't respond, as these are not Blu-Rays.

Since they were all WB titles, and they are HD DVD (not Blu-Rays), I thought that there may have been a protection that was known by those with an HD DVD collection before I went through creating the log file, explaining the whole problem, etc. If you don't have any HD DVD's, then please don't respond, as these are not Blu-Rays.

Still need to create log files from AnyDVD. And specify which software are you using, or what you are doing, and what error are you getting. The log file will tell us what version of AnyDVD you are using, and the titles of the movies, and any other encryption/imfprmation. It could also give us an idea of the problem being encountered.

My reason for asking if they are DVD's or blu-rays is because of the title of support above. This section of support is for AnyDVD Blu-rays.

Thank you in advance.

There is no section for HD DVD's because it's a dead format, but AnyDVD HD does handle them and even has a section in it's settings menu. The reason why this and other threads in the Blu-ray section are for HD DVD is that it was a competing format with blu-rays but lost out. Since AnyDVD does handle them but there is no "HD DVD" section, why would I not post in this section? Why would which verion (7.4.4.0) matter for the dead format that Slysoft probably isn't updating anyway? It's a simple question for those that have HD DVD's only, since the only ones I had problems with were the WB titles (32 discs, 13 were WB and 7, all WB, wouldn't rip), was there a protection exclusive to WB that wouldn't allow AnyDVD HD to copy them?

Last edited:
HD DVD's only had AACS protection on them which AnyDVD HD handles fine. You still haven't said what the actual problem is. If you are getting read errors then you have faulty/dirty discs or a failing drive. Instead of arguing you could have just posted up a logfile which would have told us most of what we needed to know, it only takes seconds to make one and would have been quicker than writing the extra posts

was there a protection exclusive to WB that wouldn't allow AnyDVD HD to copy them?

No one is going to know that until you post a log file. You still haven't said what the actual problem is/error you are getting.

No one is going to know that until you post a log file. You still haven't said what the actual problem is/error you are getting.
There was no special WB copy protection. I still have WB HD DVD's and they only contain AACS

I'm currently ripping all my HD discs and have about 30 HD DVD discs. Of them, I've been unable to rip 7 (of the 13 WB discs, the other discs are made up mostly of Paramount and Universal), which all seem to be Warner Bros. discs. Was there some anti-copy protection on WB HD DVD discs that wouldn't allow AnyDVD HD to rip them?

To shorten the story: AnyDVD HD can process every HD-DVD (WB or any other origin) that was ever made. If it doesn't work, it is likely a defective / dirty disc and / or drive. Which error message do you get?

There was no special WB copy protection. I still have WB HD DVD's and they only contain AACS

Thanks, that's all I was asking. Appreciate the simple response. Now I'm suspecting it might be something with the LG optical drive, I've tried it on 2 and get the same problem. 4 of the 7 discs were never played or opened and are clean, no scratches or dirt. What I've noticed is all of them are single sided discs, might be a coincidence, but the ones that were double sided (having HD DVD on one side and standard DVD on the other) didn't had problems (some getting read errors during rip and others just spinning in the drive for a while without getting recognized by AnyDVD HD when inserted, when the drive finally stops blinking and I select to rip it AnyDVD HD states the drive is not ready). Two that didn't rip were Ocean's Eleven and Ocean's Twelve (from an unopened previously boxed set) which are both single sided, but Ocean's Thirteen did rip (and is only that's double sided in the set), although as I stated it might be coincidence. I'll post more when I get some time now that I know there wasn't a WB protection issue.

Last edited:
Just because they've never been opened doesn't mean they aren't faulty, I had a few that were faulty straight out of the box

Just because they've never been opened doesn't mean they aren't faulty, I had a few that were faulty straight out of the box

Warner HDDVD's are renowned for disc rot. I have a pile of 10+ WB discs, they all used to be readable, not anymore. One I had that was sealed and never opened anydvdHD was struggling to identify the disc.

Warner HDDVD's are renowned for disc rot.

I didn't know that, but I can confirm: 2 weeks ago my kids wanted to see a certain Harry Potter episode, which I had on HD-DVD. It worked fine back when I bought it, the surface still looks absolutely like brand new, but none of my HD-DVD drives will even recognize it anymore.
So I went ahead and bought the Blu-ray.

This is not the first disc I bought twice.

Oh, if there only were a way to make backups of these discs..... :doh:

Update, so I pulled out my Xbox 360 HD-DVD optical drive and plugged the USB cable into the computer and tried ripping the 7 discs. 2 of the discs read on that drive (300 and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory), one did the same as the LG (Purple Rain) which was start getting read errors in the middle of the discs (tried cleaning it even though it looked clean, with same result), and 4 (these 4 were all unopened previously and they came from 2 boxed sets (Lethal Weapon, Training day and Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve) when inserted would not read or even get recognized (no log file possible). I suspect disc rot.

Warner HD-DVD manufacturing problems . . .

From what I have experienced and read, Warner used a company named "Cinram" to manufacture many of their HD-DVDs and experienced a major manufacturing quality problem with numerous titles. Finding Warner HD-DVDs that do not play even brand new out of the shrink wrap is not unusual. You might try contacting Warner in Burbank Calif. They were very supportive of this customer, replacing a fair number of defective HD-DVDs with their Blu-Ray counterpart. That was quite a while ago, but it might be worth a shot to see if they are still doing that.

Back