• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VLC player taking over Desktop Icons

Indyrod

I've searched the Net and found numerous examples, of after installing the VLC Player and opening it, it changes all the desktop icons to VLC. I had that happen the first time I installed it and opened it. I couldn't figure out what happened except I had to fix it, so I did a restore to an earlier time, and uninstalled VLC, and never bothered with it again. I would like to have VLC, but I have not read a single post that tells me, why this happens, and how to stop VLC from taking over my desktop icons, so I decided to just not use it. hopefully you techies can help explain this, and how to get around it. evidently, just opening VLC associates every EXE icon to VLC,and I can't believe nobody has ever fixed it. I would like to install VLC, but this association problem makes it not worth the problems. any advice you guys can give regarding this issue, would be appreciated. I've never seen a program that does this, but VLC does. thanks in advance.

Isn't it because it just associates those file types with VLC? You can re-associate files with other programs by going into the Windows control panel and then into 'Default programs' and in there you can reset file associations individually or by program

Last edited:
but this association problem makes it not worth the problems.

During installation, set Select the type of install to Custom on the drop-down menu, then make sure to un-check File type associations (and any others like the dreaded Context Menus integration):

20141027_11h46m31s_001_VLCmediaplayerSetup_zps67781765.jpg

If you miss that for some reason, you can deselect the file types via Tools>Preferences:

20141027_11h42m53s_001_SimplePreferences_zps495c3fc4.jpg

VLC_2014-10-27_114058_zpsc568c545.jpg

Last edited:
Back