• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vista SP 1 problems: Civ4 Beyond the Sword & AoE III

jpd5862

I am having problems running any game under Game Jackal on my Vista Ultimate SP1 system. I have tried Civilization 4 Gold, Civilization 4: Beyond the Sword, and Age of Empires III. All of the games ask for the game CD when started up under Game Jackal.

I also have an install of Vista Home Premium on the same machine. As a test, I installed AoE III on my Home Premium boot & Game Jackal worked fine. I also ran GJ on my Vista Ultimate boot approx. 6 months ago, and it worked fine then. I recently re-installed Vista Ultimate & SP1 on that boot and GJ no longer works. I have created new profiles for the games.

I first tried GJ 3.1.1.4 and it didn't work. I then removed 3.1.1.4 from the system and tried 3.1.1.5. It didn't work, either. To keep it an apples-to-apples comparison, I installed 3.1.1.5 on my Home Premium boot (which worked with AoE III).

Attachments:
- filter driver.txt file,
- AoE III on Vista Ultimate SP1 GJ logs zip (doesn't work)
- AoE III on Vista Home Premium GJ logs zip (works)
- Civ4: Beyond the Sword Vista Ultimate SP1 GJ logs zip (doesn't work)

Here is the GJ support template info:

1. Game Jackal version: 3.1.1.5 (Also fails with Game Jackal 3.1.1.4)
2. OS: Vista Ultimate SP1 32 bit (AOE III works with Vista Home Premium w/o SP1)
3. No virtual Drives
4. No packet writing software
5. Game protection: Safedisk 4.60.00
6. Name of game: Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword
7. Game version: 3.17
8. CD Version
9. Original disc is from the US
10. CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU 2.4 GHz
11. Optical Drives: HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GSA-H30L. Donno what firmware. Using the standard windows cdrom.sys driver (6.0.6001.1800)
12. Security software: AVG Free 8.0.175
13. Games ask for CD
14. Advanced logging turned on, see attached .zip files.
15. Filter driver list in attached .txt file.

AoE III Info:
5. Game Protection: SmartE
6. Name of game: Age of Empires III
7. Game version: 1.12
8. CD Version
9. Original disc is from the US

Attachments

• Filter Driver Load Order.txt
    1,003 bytes · Views: 3
  • AOE III Vista Ultimate SP1 Logs.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 2
  • AOE III Vista Home Premium logs.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Civ4 Beyond the Sword Vista Ultimate SP1 logs.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 0
welcome to the frustration club.

although the program probably does work fine for most people, once it takes a dislike to a particular PC ( or in your case to a particular boot option) it seems almost incurable ( see the 3115 beta thread for what I've been going through with my main PC),

though I also can get it to work fine on 2 other PCs with the same games!

We are about to post a new beta v3.1.1.6... please try this before we do any troubleshooting.

Will do. Any idea when the 3.1.1.6 beta will be posted?

jpd

No joy. Attached are the log file zips for Beyond the Sword & AoE III, run under GJ 3.1.1.6.

I uninstalled 3.1.1.5, rebooted, installed 3.1.1.6, rebooted.

jpd

Attachments

• AoE III Vista Ultimate 3116 logs.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Beyond the Sword 3116 logs.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 1
Based on your logs we have made some minor changes... these will be in v3.1.1.7 which should be out within the next 48 hours.

Took a step backward with 3.1.1.7...

I removed 3.1.1.6, rebooted, installed 3.1.1.7, rebooted.

Tried to make a profile. GJ started the game as normal, and I got through the intro screens and exited the game. GJ posts a message popup out of its status icon saying 'Starting extended profiling' & pops up a progress dialog box that says 'Start imaging'. It just sits there -- no motion on the progress bar, nothing. I let it sit there for an hour while profiling Age of Empires III (logfiles attached), until I finally had to kill it.

Clicking the cancel button in the dialog box doesn't do anything. I had to kill the Game Jackal application from the task manager. Funny thing -- the disk access light on my computer was lit continually, as something (I presume GJ) is accessing my disk, but the 32291GJ.exe process is not consuming any CPU when I look at the process list in task manager.

Attachments

• AoEIII logs 3117.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 1
A couple other bits o' data...

I tried this on both AoE III and Civ4: BtS. Still hung.

I tried Automatic profile map detection for both games. Still hung. I also tried specifying the Age of Empires III profile for AoE III, and it still hung, as well.

jpd

Can you try again... however when done post the "profiler.log" file (notice the R on the end of the filename).

Actually, I can't. Or, rather, I can run GJ again, but there is no profiler.log file. Is this file created by the 32291GJ.exe program? This program starts, but the process stays around after I cancel from the profiling dialog box... I tried killing it through task manager and through the command line, but it does not go away. I have to reboot my machine to get rid of it. And rebooting the machine would not write the log file...

jpd

Actually, I can't. Or, rather, I can run GJ again, but there is no profiler.log file. Is this file created by the 32291GJ.exe program? This program starts, but the process stays around after I cancel from the profiling dialog box... I tried killing it through task manager and through the command line, but it does not go away. I have to reboot my machine to get rid of it. And rebooting the machine would not write the log file...

jpd

I'm not sure I understand your post... 2291GJ.exe is the main GJ exe and will remain while GJ is running.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

My normal GJ workflow:
- Start GJ (process 32291GJ.exe process is created)
- Tell it to create a new profile
- Give it my CD drive letter
- Automatic profile map
- Give it a profile name
- Give GJ the game executable
- Use QuckLaunch
- GJ starts the game
- I go through the game startup, exit game
- GJ creates game profile. If it is in image mode, takes about 5 minutes. Otherwise, GJ is pretty much instantaneous
- I exit GJ. When I do so, 3229GJ.exe process exits.
- I don't know if profiler.log file is created...

What I see with 3.1.1.7:
- Start GJ (process 32291GJ.exe process is created)
- Tell GJ to create a new profile
- (same process as above)
- GJ starts the game
- I go through the game startup, exit game
- GJ starts to create the game profile. GJ sits in the profile creation screen for a very long time (> 1 hour). Disk activity light on my computer stays lit, process 32291GJ.exe process stays around.
- Even if I try to exit GJ, 32291GJ.exe process continues to stay around. The only way I can get rid of 32291GJ.exe is to reboot my machine.
- No profiler.log file created. I presume this is because 32291GJ.exe hasn't created it.

jpd

Back