• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vista limited user accounts

I did find a machine that displayed the same issue... I have made a fix and attached it here.

To install right-click the tray icon (when it's green) and select exit. Then unzip attachment and place in GJ folder (overwriting existing)... then double click to start it again.

Okay, great. I tested this out 5 minutes after you posted yesterday, but I forgot to reply and I wanted to test something out before.

First of all, it works now, but I noted some strange things.
What is kinda bothering me is that when I click on the "Show Game Jackal", a UAC dialog still pops up. But I think I found a solution.

When you have the GameJackal Plus stuff installed there's a service that starts up on every account. It's called "GJService.exe" and runs with admin rights, defined as "system".

The tray icon is called "GJServiceNotification.exe" and runs with local rights, defined to the user account that is logged in.

So now, when the GJServiceNotification wants to call the GameJackal.exe, it requires higher privileges and needs an UAC dialog.

But, my idea is now that I suppose that the service, loads first the "GJService.exe" and then the "GJServiceNotification.exe".

Question: Why is the Notification.exe NOT loaded with admin rights, defined as "system"?

If you would do so, there would be no need for UAC when this task wants to start the GameJackal interface.

If I'm correct, this would not only solve the UAC issues with admin accounts, but also with limited user accounts.

matthew, can you please try that out and let the "GJServiceNotification.exe" also start with the service using the local system account?

I would like to test that out.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Another thing would be that you pull in the code from the Notification.exe file into the GJService.exe file. But that would be more complicated.

Okay, great. I tested this out 5 minutes after you posted yesterday, but I forgot to reply and I wanted to test something out before.

First of all, it works now, but I noted some strange things.
What is kinda bothering me is that when I click on the "Show Game Jackal", a UAC dialog still pops up. But I think I found a solution.

When you have the GameJackal Plus stuff installed there's a service that starts up on every account. It's called "GJService.exe" and runs with admin rights, defined as "system".

The tray icon is called "GJServiceNotification.exe" and runs with local rights, defined to the user account that is logged in.

So now, when the GJServiceNotification wants to call the GameJackal.exe, it requires higher privileges and needs an UAC dialog.

But, my idea is now that I suppose that the service, loads first the "GJService.exe" and then the "GJServiceNotification.exe".

Question: Why is the Notification.exe NOT loaded with admin rights, defined as "system"?

If you would do so, there would be no need for UAC when this task wants to start the GameJackal interface.

If I'm correct, this would not only solve the UAC issues with admin accounts, but also with limited user accounts.

matthew, can you please try that out and let the "GJServiceNotification.exe" also start with the service using the local system account?

I would like to test that out.

Best Regards,
BurnerHEAD

Another thing would be that you pull in the code from the Notification.exe file into the GJService.exe file. But that would be more complicated.

The notification app is there simply to provide feedback regarding the state of the GJ service, not to launch GJ. If it was an admin app, then (like GJ) it would not run under a limited account with admin access. The primary idea here is to let Game Watch launch the profile when a game starts... the only reason for opening the GJ interface is to do maintenance or create a new profile etc.

Once again... GJ Plus is here to provide a solution for users wishing to run GJ under a limited account, not to circumvent UAC.

The notification app is there simply to provide feedback regarding the state of the GJ service, not to launch GJ. If it was an admin app, then (like GJ) it would not run under a limited account with admin access. The primary idea here is to let Game Watch launch the profile when a game starts... the only reason for opening the GJ interface is to do maintenance or create a new profile etc.

Once again... GJ Plus is here to provide a solution for users wishing to run GJ under a limited account, not to circumvent UAC.

Okay, I don't wanted to bother you again. It was just that came up my mind and I think it would be the perfect solution for me.

I was asking if you could fix it like I described it above and sent it to me for my personal testings and to have some fun.
I'm just curious if it works out, the way I planed it.

Thank you!
BurnerHEAD

Back