• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.6.2 beta

- New: Uses storport driver for Windows 7 and later
What impact does this have on those of us who've been using the traditional SCSI driver for VCD in Win7? After installing 5.4.6.2 on my Win7 x64 system, Device Manager suggests VCD is still using the SCSI driver. I assume this is in part to resolve the issues with Win8.1, but are there any side effects for folks running Win7 or original Win8? In particular, will switching from SCSI to storport affect the deep level of drive emulation that sets VCD apart from most other virtual drives?

What impact does this have on those of us who've been using the traditional SCSI driver for VCD in Win7? After installing 5.4.6.2 on my Win7 x64 system, Device Manager suggests VCD is still using the SCSI driver.
Really? Where? Maybe the installation didn't work, and you are still using the last driver?

I assume this is in part to resolve the issues with Win8.1, but are there any side effects for folks running Win7 or original Win8? In particular, will switching from SCSI to storport affect the deep level of drive emulation that sets VCD apart from most other virtual drives?
It shouldn't. Using storport has the benefit of a cleaner and probably more efficient design and theoretically increased performance (less CPU use). But I doubt you will see the performance increase in real life.
I haven't seen any side effects. But this is a beta, so feel free to report any issues. ;)

Really? Where? Maybe the installation didn't work, and you are still using the last driver?
Device Manager still shows ELBY CLONEDRIVE as a "SCSI Cd-Rom Device". VCD itself is still listed under "Storage controllers" with the SCSI icon; the only driver installed there is VClone.sys version 5.4.6.2 (I thought storport.sys had to be loaded with all storport controllers), and I still saw SCSI entries under the Details tab. Maybe it'll change upon reboot (I'm not sure if it's been rebooted in the last few days), or do storport drivers still declare themselves to Win7 as SCSI (like most RAID drivers do, and SATA AHCI drivers before Win7)?

or do storport drivers still declare themselves to Win7 as SCSI (like most RAID drivers do, and SATA AHCI drivers before Win7)?

Yes, they do. Storport drivers are basically RAID drivers.

James:

Sorry for being late to the party here... but quick question.

Should we uninstall the last version before trying this beta.. seeing as it uses a different driver?

Or does the uninstaller remove the previous version/driver altogether?

James:

Sorry for being late to the party here... but quick question.

Should we uninstall the last version before trying this beta.. seeing as it uses a different driver?

Or does the uninstaller remove the previous version/driver altogether?

There is no need to uninstall.

Thank you sir... I appreciate the response.. and since I use the virtual drive constantly.. I'll let you know if I see anything unusual.

James, it looks like this new beta changes the drive letter of the virtual drive during install. I don't think this ever happened before during an update.

This happened on both my Win7 x64 and Win 8 x64 machines, everytime.

Otherwise seems to work fine. Not tested on win 8.1 yet, I'm waiting for RTM.

Back