• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Video Bitrate.

StormShadow

First off... NO, this is not related to what web-rip outside redfox uses...

but with that being said... i've seen staff say Anystream "downloads" the files from the services they have access too (and not screengrab), but after having download a new netflix movie in 1080p with atmos audio the video bitrate is only 1800 kbp/s and the total filesize only at 2 gb (that might be okay for 480p/720p file but 1080p)...

Surly that can't be the best specs netflix uses for the 1080p file, can it??

I prefer physical media so my plan was to make blurays of the movies netflix releases that don't get a original physical release that i want, but with the low specs of atleast this one file that would pretty much be a waste of a 25 gb bluray disc.

Is there really no way to get better bitrate??

First off... NO, this is not related to what web-rip outside redfox uses...

but with that being said... i've seen staff say Anystream "downloads" the files from the services they have access too (and not screengrab), but after having download a new netflix movie in 1080p with atmos audio the video bitrate is only 1800 kbp/s and the total filesize only at 2 gb (that might be okay for 480p/720p file but 1080p)...

2gb for what 10 minute cartoon, or 2.5 hours film? In any case, flix use vbr with some crazy parameters so the compression ratio is far better than what a regular home user is used to.

Surly that can't be the best specs netflix uses for the 1080p file, can it??

Literally nothing is stopping you from firing up flix in a web browser downloading a dash manifest for the title in question and pointing out with evidence that AS doesn't get the best available quality; short of that, it's but hypothetical supposition (read: waste of electrons).

I prefer physical media so my plan was to make blurays of the movies netflix releases that don't get a original physical release that i want, but with the low specs of atleast this one file that would pretty much be a waste of a 25 gb bluray disc.

What's stopping you from using BD5 or BD9 formats?

Incidentally, the weight of a Bluray disc is about 20g, so for 100 of them you've got 2kg worth of data, and even at 50GB per disc, you end up with 5TB worth of data weighing 2kg, hard disks weigh less, even there you end up with entropic inefficiencies in your storage.

Is there really no way to get better bitrate??

to quote [1]: "Give the programmer some credit for basic intelligence"

Code:
1. https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

Last edited:
Movie: Outside the Wire - Runtime 1.55 hr

I have no idea if Anystream gets the best quality of not.. that's why i was asking and it was by no means to put Anystream down (pure curiosity).

Nothing is stopping me from using BD5 or BD9 i guess...

I give team redfox all the credit in the world... I've been a supporter for a very long time first with original anydvd, the anydvdHD (twich having bought lifetime keys) and now Anystream (also lifetime), so i have no doubt they know what they are doin... I was curious, so i asked (not illigal).

Movie: Outside the Wire - Runtime 1.55 hr

Probably shot in 2019/20, so clean master, and watching the trailers there's hardly any colour entropy, so 2gb sounds entirely reasonable!

Let me ask you your question the other way around: what could AS's programmers motivation possibly be in not letting you download the best quality they could get their hands on?

Let me ask you your question the other way around: what could AS's programmers motivation possibly be in not letting you download the best quality they could get their hands on?

I have no idea and i'm not saying they are doin that of their own free will (i have no idea how it all works)... but you can't download content with 4k specs.

I have no idea and i'm not saying they are doin that of their own free will (i have no idea how it all works)... but you can't download content with 4k specs.

There's a technical reason for that (hence the part "the best quality they could get their hands on" in my answer), and nobody was ever promised 4K by AS...

I KNOW!! i used it as an excample that something wasn't possible with anystream... and i fully get that that if they "COULD" give us that option they proberly "WOULD".... again goin back to "NOT OF THEIR OWN FREE WILL". If that's also the case with my original question, about the bitrate then that's okay.

Double check your Netflix profile to make sure it's set to give you the best quality rather than "auto".
  • Go to Account
  • Scroll down to Profiles
  • Expand your profile settings by clicking on the profile
  • Go down to Playback settings
  • Change Data Usage per Screen to "High"
This also fixed some issues where I was being offered just a 540p version of some videos and now am offered 1080p. Note: Not all movies are HD / 1080P.

I think Anystream gets best quality.
Same at Prime, one video had only about 2,5 gb for about 1,5 hours. The other one had 12 gb for same playlength.

Most dark scenes at prime are blocky and picture has lots of banding. Its sometimes unwatchable and I am often very pissed of by the quality they deliver for that much money.
Renting a DVD or Bluray costed ablut 1,5€ in old days, but you got best quality. Now you pay 4€ for 48 hour access and get a shitty fast reencode for that money.
Thats why I hate streaming, its a pure money-making-machine.

Back