• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Very Easy "One Click Blu-Ray Backup" Guide

svcd

Hi, i have a Dvico tvix 5100 streaming box.
To get HD-Content for my full HD Plasma TV i use AnyDVD HD together with an LG GGW-H20L

My aim is to Rip Blu-Ray movies (only keeping the main movie with one language) as fast and easy as possible.
The movie is stored on harddisc in the dvico (or on external harddisc which is plugged to the dvico via USB)

Because i doesn't want to loose quality (and time) i don't want to reencode the movie after ripping.
I found several guides How to do this.
Now i found a very simple solution not descriped by the guides i've read so far.

It's very simple so I want to share the idea with you.

Here we go.

First i've plugged the LG and the dvico to my PC. (via USB)
You have to run AnyDVD HD to remove copy protections. (All this will not work without this great program).
Put the Blu-Ray disc in the reader and wait until AnyDVD reports that the disc is ready to read.
Now you open the explorer and navigate to the BDMV/STREAM folder of your blu-Ray disc.
Sort the Files by size. in most cases the main movie will exist of only one big .m2ts-File.
Once located you open this file in a software player to check whether the file contains the complete movie.

There are some blu-rays which doesn't consist of one file (for example "Cars"). This makes things more complicated.
This guide will concentrate on the Easy-ones (luckily that are more than 90% of all movies) where the main movie is just one file.

Now open this .m2ts-file directly (without ripping) with the program tsmuxergui from the blu-Ray disc.
Here you can easily select the movie track (normally track 1) and the AC3 track which contains the language you need.
Other languages and subtitles can be selected when needed.
Now select the output format as m2ts and the destination folder directly on the tvix.

The rest is done with one click. Press start and the Muxer software will read the data through AnyDVD and write directly to the destination file.
No reencoding is done. The smaller file size will only be the result of throwing away unneeded language data and subtitles.

There is no need to rip unused things to harddisc and throw away theses data later (like most guides say).
In most cases this will really work very fast.

Now i've one question left:

Is there a list of Blu-ray discs together with the information
- how many streams consists the main movies
- what is the main movie stream ID ? (or what is the correct order of the ids if the movie consists of more than one file)
- What is the original size of the complete disc (ripped to harddisc)
- What is the original size of the main movie (resulting .m2ts file only)
- What is the size of the movie and one AC3 Track (resulting .m2ts file only)
If there is no such list. Let us start one !

This is a nice idea...however I dont think it will work with PowerDVD as the only way to fool this program into playing off a hard disk is to create disk images (.iso) and mount them with a virtual disk drive program...

...what playerare you using to watch the movies?

sorting by file size rarely works, and won't if your movie has any branching in it. You need to use BDEdit and use it to open your ripped files. Then look for the movie playlist in BDEdit....write down the files that compose the movie, the use txmuxer to join....into one big m2ts file with the audio you want....then anything will play it as long as you have the right directshow encoders in place...you can even convert to divx HD, which is nice!!!

@Windsor
For Playback of the m2ts file at the PC i use PowerDVD which cames together with the LG burner.

@ron Spencer
I've tried 7 Blu-Rays so far. And all consist of only one Movie track ...
(Harry Potter II,Harry Potter III,Harry Potter IV,Supermans Return,Die Vorahnung, AirForce One, Invasion)
That's why i asked what blu-Rays consits of more than one m2ts File.

The dvico can directly playback the m2ts Files. File size is between 14GB and 21GB for each movie. (Audio track and main movie only) without recode.
A 500GB Harddisc costs less than 100€. So this is about 4 Euro for 20GB. No need to compress the data any further i think. (At least not for the moment :) maybe i will think about it if my blu-ray collection grows further :) and if the harddiscs will take too much space in the living room :)

All right...i will bite...will give it a go and see what happens...

This is a nice idea...however I dont think it will work with PowerDVD as the only way to fool this program into playing off a hard disk is to create disk images (.iso) and mount them with a virtual disk drive program...

...what playerare you using to watch the movies?
That is absolutely untrue. I use PowerDVD 3319a to play back BD and HD-DVD rips from my hard drive all the time. It's only the newer releases of PDVD that broke this function. I basically do the same thing as what the OP suggests except that I rip the entire disk to my hard drive first and then determine if I can strip out a single .m2ts file or if I have to use BDEdit to reconstruct a single file from a multitude of smaller files.

Iso's are fine if you only have a small library of HD discs and you don't mind the inconvenience of having to mount and unmount an image each time you want to play a movie. I have tons of HD rips and store them on an unRAID server so hard drive real estate is of prime importance to me. I can get a ripped movie down to almost half the size of the original movie compared to the same movie ripped to an iso file.

Thats fine but if the technology changes (as it did for rataouille)..then you wont be able to play newer stuff without the upgrading the player to a later version...

Maybe it's al little bit Offtopic. But i noticed that ripping Blu-Rays is taking much longer than DVDs.
That's not very surprising because Blu-Ray has much more data to Rip.
I've connected the LG via USB and reach data/rates of about 6-7 MB/sec.
So a complete rip takes about 90 minutes per movie. (From Blu-Ray via USB to internal harddisc via SATA).
Now i wonder if this would speed up significantly if i would attach the blu-ray burner directly via SATA to the PC.
(i prefered to have an external USB housing because it's easier to transport to another PC. but it's not really necessary)

I ask because i had problems with my Harddisc inside the dvico yesterday. So i attached the harddisc directly to the PC (via SATA) and noticed that the speed copying data from and to the harddisc nearly doubles ...
There are also external cases which have a direct SATA slot parallel to the USB slot.

Another question. Should we start a thread containing blu-Ray discs, number of m2ts streams and sizes (as i wrote in my first posting ?)

PDVD Ultra 7.3 (3730 & 3730a) both play m2ts files from the hard drive fine. I have not tried one in 8 Ultra yet.

Back