• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD inert in Win11?

Those remote diagnosis are a PITA. Almost impossible to cure. He should start with my suggestion but then I'm really out of ideas. "Storage controllers" as mentioned by James has no exclamation mark. So not a hot lead.

Nothing besides that KillerNetworkService and KillerAnalysisService seems to be special. Do you need these? If not, I would try to uninstall those. Uninstall VCD and then try to reinstall VCD.
"Killer" is the "cool" name of the Intel network driver, so I'd rather stick with it... :D
(Why would a network driver interfere with a CD-Rom driver anyway?)

I have no idea, why VCD doesn't want to run. Uninstall, reboot, try again...
EDIT:
VCD itself seems to run fine. Look under "storage controllers" in device manager. Check Windows system log.
Uninstalling, rebooting and trying again (repeatedly) are things I've already tried before first posting here...

And yes, VCD runs fine, except it doesn't load its drivers.

Windows logs don't mention anything.

Last edited:
"Killer" is the "cool" name of the Intel network driver, so I'd rather stick with it... :D
(Why would a network driver interfere with a CD-Rom driver anyway?)
You are right. I was not familiar with those and sometimes something "goofy" can interfere. Do you have any CD / DVD burning software installed on your PC? Usually some of those programs can interfere.

Uninstalling, rebooting and trying again (repeatedly) are things I've already tried before first posting here...

And yes, VCD runs fine, except it doesn't load its drivers.

Windows logs don't mention anything.
It does load the driver. Check under "Storage Controllers".
EDIT: The non-loading CD-ROM "driver" is a "Windows Thing".

You are right. I was not familiar with those and sometimes something "goofy" can interfere. Do you have any CD / DVD burning software installed on your PC? Usually some of those programs can interfere.
Well, I do have CloneCD (old version) and CDBurnerXP (recent version), but since there is no physical CD drive present I use them very rarely. Both work fine BTW.
(The point of VCD is to allow me to play old games which do a CD check, without having to carry an external USB CD drive + the game CDs with me.)

@James , could it be that an old version of elbyCDIO.dll is causing the issues since he uses an old version of CloneCD?

Are they? Strange. Must be because this is a new laptop, and I didn't find the installation file of the version I had. Anyway, I checked:
I uninstalled VCD, rebooted
I uninstalled CloneCD, rebooted
(I also uninstalled AnyDVD since it started asking for a license)
I installed VCD again, rebooted
No change.

Are they? Strange. Must be because this is a new laptop, and I didn't find the installation file of the version I had. Anyway, I checked:
I uninstalled VCD, rebooted
I uninstalled CloneCD, rebooted
(I also uninstalled AnyDVD since it started asking for a license)
I installed VCD again, rebooted
No change.
Check under "Storage Controllers".

@James , could it be that an old version of elbyCDIO.dll is causing the issues since he uses an old version of CloneCD?
No. VCD driver is loaded and running. I think. OP, please check under "Storage Controllers". Check Windows system event log for warnings or errors.
It is the *Windows* CD-ROM driver, which fails to load. I assume the same would happen with a physical drive.

No. VCD driver is loaded and running. I think. OP, please check under "Storage Controllers". Check Windows system event log for warnings or errors.
It is the *Windows* CD-ROM driver, which fails to load. I assume the same would happen with a physical drive.
It does appears under Storage Controllers all right, no exclamation mark.
And as I said further up, there are no "warning" or "error" log events about it. None that I've spotted that is, but given I've rebooted today half a dozen times I had lots of nice short-time run periods to check for anomalies.

Guys, I really appreciate you've spent your weekend trying to help me, but I guess we should leave it at it. It's some kind of Win11 incompatibility.
I think I'll give up, especially since I'm afraid many of those games won't even start on Win11 because of their old, now incompatible copy protections... I've heard rumors about that.

I guess I'll try to set something up with VirtualBox, I have some WinXP VMs.

Once again, thank you all very much! You're exceptional...

It does appears under Storage Controllers all right, no exclamation mark.
And as I said further up, there are no "warning" or "error" log events about it. None that I've spotted that is, but given I've rebooted today half a dozen times I had lots of nice short-time run periods to check for anomalies.

Guys, I really appreciate you've spent your weekend trying to help me, but I guess we should leave it at it. It's some kind of Win11 incompatibility.
I think I'll give up, especially since I'm afraid many of those games won't even start on Win11 because of their old, now incompatible copy protections... I've heard rumors about that.

I guess I'll try to set something up with VirtualBox, I have some WinXP VMs.

Once again, thank you all very much! You're exceptional...
I also suggest you try it in a VM. Good luck! James posted long time ago that you can mount a CCD with VCD and then make an ISO of the CCD with CloneCD. You could also try that and then run the game (hopefully) in Win11. And I hate Win11. I reverted to Win10.

mount a CCD with VCD and then make an ISO of the CCD with CloneCD.
That wouldn't work, most games I'm thinking of use some annoying copy protection system, which is why I had to make CCD copies in the first place. A simple ISO of the CDs wouldn't be recognized (I could easily make one, I still have all the original CDs).

I hate Win11 too, but as I bought a new computer it came with Win11. I don't use it, and if I didn't have all those old games (20+!) I would had deleted the partition. Last user-friendly Windows was WinXP. Insecure, but user-friendly.

Anyway, thanks for trying!

That wouldn't work, most games I'm thinking of use some annoying copy protection system, which is why I had to make CCD copies in the first place. A simple ISO of the CDs wouldn't be recognized (I could easily make one, I still have all the original CDs).

I hate Win11 too, but as I bought a new computer it came with Win11. I don't use it, and if I didn't have all those old games (20+!) I would had deleted the partition. Last user-friendly Windows was WinXP. Insecure, but user-friendly.

Anyway, thanks for trying!
For me Win7 was the last user friendly version but with OpenShell Win10 is equivalent.

Just give the ISO conversion a try. Maybe CloneCD has some tricks to make a working ISO from its CCDs. Sorry- I don't do games.

Back