• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using CloneCD to rip CDs to flac files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaak18

I've come up with a method that uses a combination of CloneCD/Virtual CloneDrive/Exact Audio Copy to rip CDs to FLAC files that is faster than using EAC alone and still get bit perfect files. In fact , if you have two CD drives you can rip two CDs at a time. It takes four minutes to rip a 76 minute CD then another 2 minutes for EAC to make the flac file. If interested please leave a comment and I'll post the method.

Use CloneCD to make an image file of the CD. This should take no more than 4 minutes. Mount the image using Virtual CloneDrive. Point Exact Audio Copy at the CloneDrive. In EAC drive setup for CloneDrive enter -314 in drive offset. Also set read method at Paranoid mode. Rip the new image as you would any CD. EAC sees the CloneDrive image the same as any other cd drive. The difference is CloneDrive is a software drive not limited in speed as a mechanical drive. The image is read and ripped to flac as fast as the pc will allow. About 1.5 minutes. The read quality should be at 100% each time. CloneCD can run more than 1 instance at a time so if you have more than 1 CD drive you can make more than 1 image file simultaneously. Then run EAC separately for each image. Any questions please post here.

Use CloneCD to make an image file of the CD. This should take no more than 4 minutes. Mount the image using Virtual CloneDrive. Point Exact Audio Copy at the CloneDrive. In EAC drive setup for CloneDrive enter -314 in drive offset. Also set read method at Paranoid mode. Rip the new image as you would any CD. EAC sees the CloneDrive image the same as any other cd drive. The difference is CloneDrive is a software drive not limited in speed as a mechanical drive. The image is read and ripped to flac as fast as the pc will allow. About 1.5 minutes. The read quality should be at 100% each time. CloneCD can run more than 1 instance at a time so if you have more than 1 CD drive you can make more than 1 image file simultaneously. Then run EAC separately for each image. Any questions please post here.

In that scenario EAC isn't doing anything as it's just ripping the CloneCD PCM file which is just RAW PCM 44.1/16 (just a .WAV file missing the header). The ccd file is a text file of the TOC (open that in notepad) and .sub file is just subchannel data (don't need that either). In fact you can use any audio editor you want to load up the .IMG file just tell it that it is 44.1/16/2 channels and it will load. You can chop that up yourself no need for EAC.

The other problem is CloneCD from my memory is just doing a "fast" dump of the PCM and ignoring all offsets and that will not be corrected in your dump.

Redbook is not a good format as no file system, it is what you see in CloneCD (toc, subchannel and PCM - minus the hardware level error correction). All the error correction on Redbook is done to interpolate errors. It's not cheap or easy to do a bit for bit copy. I have 40 different drives and the most accurate though not cheap is PLEXTOR Premium 2 though most Plex drives are very good and you can use Plextools to properly analyze the data.

It's not a simple task like you think unfortunately :( It's very hardware dependent.

the idea behind AccurateRip database is the only near 100% way to tell that your drive did not interpolate any data and offset is by comparing hundreds or thousands of rips people submit. EAC is a bit out dated (though still very good and useful) check out dBpoweramp and have a read at their forums to really start getting into 1:1 Redbook dumping.

Last edited:
In that scenario EAC isn't doing anything as it's just ripping the CloneCD PCM file which is just RAW PCM 44.1/16 (just a .WAV file missing the header). The ccd file is a text file of the TOC (open that in notepad) and .sub file is just subchannel data (don't need that either). In fact you can use any audio editor you want to load up the .IMG file just tell it that it is 44.1/16/2 channels and it will load. You can chop that up yourself no need for EAC.

The other problem is CloneCD from my memory is just doing a "fast" dump of the PCM and ignoring all offsets and that will not be corrected in your dump.

Redbook is not a good format as no file system, it is what you see in CloneCD (toc, subchannel and PCM - minus the hardware level error correction). All the error correction on Redbook is done to interpolate errors. It's not cheap or easy to do a bit for bit copy. I have 40 different drives and the most accurate though not cheap is PLEXTOR Premium 2 though most Plex drives are very good and you can use Plextools to properly analyze the data.

It's not a simple task like you think unfortunately :( It's very hardware dependent.

the idea behind AccurateRip database is the only near 100% way to tell that your drive did not interpolate any data and offset is by comparing hundreds or thousands of rips people submit. EAC is a bit out dated (though still very good and useful) check out dBpoweramp and have a read at their forums to really start getting into 1:1 Redbook dumping.
CloneCD does a 1 to 1 copy of the disc using a raw read. If there's a problem with the disc CloneCD slows down and rereads the disc. It makes a perfect copy each time. Eac checks the accuracy as it does the conversion. There is a difference in accuracy between secure mode and Paranoid mode. I've done 1045 rips with this method and each is more accurate. If you prefer DBPoweramp which I used for years before finding this method, good for you. If you make a judgement about this method without trying it, that's up to you.

CloneCD does a 1 to 1 copy of the disc using a raw read. If there's a problem with the disc CloneCD slows down and rereads the disc. It makes a perfect copy each time. Eac checks the accuracy as it does the conversion. There is a difference in accuracy between secure mode and Paranoid mode. I've done 1045 rips with this method and each is more accurate. If you prefer DBPoweramp which I used for years before finding this method, good for you. If you make a judgement about this method without trying it, that's up to you.

I don;t have time to teach CD 101 and argue. You can belive whatever you want.

You're confusing Yellowbook w/ Redbook. CloneCD was never made for Redbook.

Yellowbook is another beast altogether as it has a file system and additional error correction. In a RAW read it's 2048 of user data and 2352 total having additional bytes dedicated to error correction, it's a file system ISO9660. Also each CD sector is flagged where it starts. Redbook has to "guess" at the offset so sectors will vary from drive to drive.

Redbook uses ALL 2352 sectors of data which is just PCM. It has no EDC/ECC that tells cloneCD it misread data instead it uses CIRC level and interpolates the data. You can test this for yourself, use CloneCD to rip Redbook on multiple drives and compare the differences.

Last edited:
I absolutely don't want you to teach anything. You don't have a good temperament for it. I just use what works. This is my last response to you.

FYI there is no other way to read redbook except RAW as it has to read ALL 2362 sectors as ALL of it is user data.
I absolutely don't want you to teach anything. You don't have a good temperament for it. I just use what works. This is my last response to you.
What you are saying makes no sense. You clearly have little to no knowledge about CDs and refuse to listen.

Guys! gaak18 posted a method for a very quick turnaround. If you don't like it, just use your own method you prefer. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back