• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

USB DVD woes

Loonie

I am now the happy owner of an Alienware M11x-R3. Perhaps some of you know where I'm going with this.

I have a USB DVD writer for use with the M11x, and have just realized that Windows seven unloads the optical drive stack when there are no optical drives attached to the computer (which would be most of the time), which of course causes GameJackal much grief, since it uses that driver.

I thought I could be "Mister Clever" and install a virtual drive, so that Windows would keep the stack loaded. Having installed a virtual drive, I proceeded to start a GJ profile and was promptly greeted with the BSOD.

I'm kinda out of ideas now. Has anyone else come across this problem and found a solution?

We are looking over the crash dump sent to support.

Thanks for the help.

Seems you guys were right, the problem was with GJ's handling of plug'n'play. If the system is restarted after installing VCD, GJ launches the profile properly, no BSOD.

Of course now SecuROM detects that VCD is installed, and just gives the "conflict with emulation" error.

I hate you. SecuROM.

New trick: Removed VCD and installed DaemonTools lite. Mounted a virtual DT drive, then restarted the system.

Result: Profile loaded, Dark Messiah (my test case) ran successfully! DT seems better at concealing itself from Suck-u-ROM. And yes, the BSOD was caused by the maplom driver's unhappiness with plug'n'play.

So, fairly straightforward in the end:
  • Install DaemonTools (the free lite version works)
  • Create a DT virtual optical drive
  • Restart Windows
  • Make sure virtual drive is still there after reboot
  • Feel euphoric wave of triumph

The above has allowed Game Jackal to be fully functional on the Alienware M11X without an optical drive connected.

Much as I detest emoticons in general, I feel disposed to use this: :rock:

Thanks again to support.

Back