• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Upgrading my HTPC for HD DVD/Blu Ray playback, Do I need AnyDVD HD?

TommyV

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC for HD & Blu Ray playback one component at a time. I have a HDCP 8600GT coming and I will soon purchase the LG combo drive. I also got PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 a while back.

Do I need AnyDVD HD even though I will have a HDCP card? I already have a HD DVD stand alone player so my HTPC will really be more for the few Blu Ray titles I want. I realize this whole HD & Blu Ray playback on a HTPC thing is not ready for prime time but I am hopeful that the software will improve over the next six months and my hardware will be ready for it. Thanks for you help!

Tommy

Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading my HTPC for HD & Blu Ray playback one component at a time. I have a HDCP 8600GT coming and I will soon purchase the LG combo drive. I also got PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 a while back.

Do I need AnyDVD HD even though I will have a HDCP card? I already have a HD DVD stand alone player so my HTPC will really be more for the few Blu Ray titles I want. I realize this whole HD & Blu Ray playback on a HTPC thing is not ready for prime time but I am hopeful that the software will improve over the next six months and my hardware will be ready for it. Thanks for you help!

Tommy
This depends on your display. Most computer displays are *not* HDCP compliant, so you'll need AnyDVD HD.

This depends on your display. Most computer displays are *not* HDCP compliant, so you'll need AnyDVD HD.

Thanks for you response. My display is a Pioneer plasma with HDCP compliant HDMI inputs that accept PC resolutions. I was wondering if ripping the discs to your HDD will give you better playback. It seems this has been mentioned before on other forums but I am not sure. For now I guess I could test a few Blu Rays once I get all my hardware in place. I was just thinking of getting in on the October special price. Really this is more of an experiment to see how well I can get it working. Reading through all the problems, I am not confident that a HTPC can replace a stand alone High Def Disc player at this time. Hopefully in the coming months there will be some better playback software available.

No you shouldnt need anydvd to play these but you are more likely to run into problems with the latest movies as powerdvd is rather problematic with the newest releases

Back