Updating to 6.4.0.0

Discussion in 'AnyDVD HD (DVD issues)' started by J-Mac, Mar 20, 2008.

1. J-Mac

J-Mac Well-Known Member

Odd - I just downloaded AnyDVD 6.4.0.0 and tried to install it on my PC running Windows XP Pro SP2. As soon as I started the setup file and got to the "Install" screen I received a popup saying I needed to restart my PC and asked if it was OK to restart it right then. I clicked "No" and the installation just stopped right there. I had to cancel out of the install dialog. But AnyDVD 6.3.1.7 is still running and it appears that nothing was installed yet.

Now usually if an AnyDVD installation requires a restart it throws that popup after installation, not before. Does that mean this particular installation needs to restart the PC prior to installation? I ask only because I have never seen that in four years of installing AnyDVD updates.

Thanks!

Jim

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Click "yes"

3. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

No. Carefully read the message. It says, that *after* the installation you will have to reboot. I thought it is nice to know that a reboot will be required *before* you install it. Maybe a reboot is inconvenient at the moment, so you can decide to install the update at a later time.
    After the installation it will ask you, if you want to reboot, as it did before.

4. J-Mac

J-Mac Well-Known Member

OK, I didn't notice that. It looked like it had skipped the installation and jumped right to the "restart" prompt!

But clicking "Yes", as Webslinger advises, will that cause an immediate reboot as soon as the installation is complete? I don't mind when a reboot is required for the changes to take affect. But I do prefer to perform the reboot at the time of my choosing, not when the program prefers it.

Thanks!

Jim

5. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

It is required.

What's the point in an installation program asking the question (whether you're prepared to reboot after the install), if the installation isn't going to cause your system to reboot? If you're not prepared to reboot, then click "no" and don't install the program.

6. DrinkLyeAndDie

DrinkLyeAndDie Retired Moderator

I will admit when I saw this message I did a double-take. Normally I see this at the end of an installation and not the beginning. So, knowing I'd need a reboot I clicked "No" and went and saved anything I needed to and shutdown most of the running programs and then ran the installer again and let it reboot when it was done.

So, it was a little different than normal but no big deal. Actually, it was kinda nice to know ahead of time. :)

7. J-Mac

J-Mac Well-Known Member

Agreed - methinks Webslinger is in a bad mood!

It has never been at the start before - all I wanted was a clarification. And James gave it. I'm happy!

Thanks all!