• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question Unknown disc type

Gmangt34

Hey all,

I'm trying to rip a Japanese disc, and I think it may have structured protection of some sort.

• the title of the disc and its country of origin - In Search of Darkness III - Region A
  • EAN / UPC number (barcode) - Attached in link above
  • Webshop link if you have one (amazon, ebay,...) - eBay Search
  • what you are trying to do or setting you wanted to use when the error occurred - Rip to Video Disc to HardDisc...
  • what is not working, and what is happening? - Disc will appear in the explorer & drive but state that "it seems like a data disc." I've tried playing with VLC and PlayerFab, with and without AnyDVD running.
  • IMPORTANT: what is the error message? - "Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!" plus other linked screenshots.
Let me know if I can provide any other info. I've been ripping other BDs this evening with no issues, either. This is with a BDR-XS07UHD using 1.02 firmware.

Edit: I got the same results after pulling out my old LG REWH14NS40 for fun.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_8.7.1.0_Info_H_EMPTY_DRIVE.ziplog
    40.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
It is not unusual that VLC can't open the disc when it is still protected. You would need the libaacs for that.

However, it is unusual how the disc shows up. And AnyDVD reports it as emtpy.

Someone like @James needs to take a look.

[C
Hey all,

I'm trying to rip a Japanese disc, and I think it may have structured protection of some sort.

• the title of the disc and its country of origin - In Search of Darkness III - Region A
  • EAN / UPC number (barcode) - Attached in link above
  • Webshop link if you have one (amazon, ebay,...) - eBay Search
  • what you are trying to do or setting you wanted to use when the error occurred - Rip to Video Disc to HardDisc...
  • what is not working, and what is happening? - Disc will appear in the explorer & drive but state that "it seems like a data disc." I've tried playing with VLC and PlayerFab, with and without AnyDVD running.
  • IMPORTANT: what is the error message? - "Unknown disc type (empty?), AnyDVD turned off!" plus other linked screenshots.
Let me know if I can provide any other info. I've been ripping other BDs this evening with no issues, either. This is with a BDR-XS07UHD using 1.02 firmware.

Edit: I got the same results after pulling out my old LG REWH14NS40 for fun.
Code:
  0.72s: read capacity reported disc as empty
  0.72s: get_capacity failed!
Is the disc visible in Windows Explorer?

[C

Code:
  0.72s: read capacity reported disc as empty
  0.72s: get_capacity failed!
Is the disc visible in Windows Explorer?
Yes, the first and third screenshots show what Windows Explorer presents. I reviewed the disc; there are no scratches or bubbles, as it was just purchased.

Something else interesting was comparing my old drive and the new one side-by-side from the device manager.

1715162283551.png

Last edited:
Looks like this can be closed. I will swap the disc out after trying my Xbox and a friend's player. Not a player or AnyDVD issue. Thanks for entertaining my troubleshooting. :)

Back