• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

unable to rip DVD through Hyper-V virtual machine

duanecr

I have recently decided to give it a shot to virtualize my Windows Home Server, and everything works except AnyDVD HD. When I put in a DVD and attach it to the guest system, it gives me an error that it "Failed to read DVD". It lists options about the media being dirty or damaged and region RPC2 errors. The thing is that the drive works fine when ripping from the host system. It just fails when trying to do it through the VM when the DVD drive is attached to it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the DVD drive is virtualized for the guest OS, but is there anything I can do to make this work?

I have recently decided to give it a shot to virtualize my Windows Home Server, and everything works except AnyDVD HD. When I put in a DVD and attach it to the guest system, it gives me an error that it "Failed to read DVD". It lists options about the media being dirty or damaged and region RPC2 errors. The thing is that the drive works fine when ripping from the host system. It just fails when trying to do it through the VM when the DVD drive is attached to it. I'm guessing it has something to do with the way the DVD drive is virtualized for the guest OS, but is there anything I can do to make this work?

Please produce a logfile (with a disc in the drive) within the virtual environment and post it here.

It looks like I resolved my issue. I installed the AnyDVD HD on the host operating system and rebooted it. Once I did this, it started working correctly in the guest OS as well. I guess the host OS still has some involvement in the security of the DVD decryption. I'm ripping the DVD as I write this and should be complete in a short while.

Good to know

Gettting ready to migrate WHS to hyper-v and I was thinking that Anydvd functionality on a virtualized DVD was my only stumbling block. I am really hooked on using AnyDVD with the WHS add-in DVD Manager for auto-magical rips.

Stick in DVD, tray ejects when complete. No user intervention required on a headless server. :rock:

Next step, WHS on a solid hyper-v platform with Anydvd. Thanks!

Glad others can benefit from my pain and time. :) I'm just glad it works now. I'm doing the same thing. Just put in a DVD, wait a while for it to eject, and put in another.

Basic steps:

1. Install Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V
2. Install Windows Home Server 2003 as guest OS
3. Install AnyDVD on host OS (Server 2008)
4. Install AnyDVD on guest OS (Home Server)
5. Install My Movies add-in on Home Server (make sure you have enough "points" for auto ripping)
6. Allocate enough disk space on the guest OS for DVDs
7. start ripping DVDs

Glad others can benefit from my pain and time. :) I'm just glad it works now. I'm doing the same thing. Just put in a DVD, wait a while for it to eject, and put in another.

Basic steps:

1. Install Server 2008 R2 with Hyper-V
2. Install Windows Home Server 2003 as guest OS
3. Install AnyDVD on host OS (Server 2008)
4. Install AnyDVD on guest OS (Home Server)
5. Install My Movies add-in on Home Server (make sure you have enough "points" for auto ripping)
6. Allocate enough disk space on the guest OS for DVDs
7. start ripping DVDs

For the benefit of others since it was driving me crazy, the above steps worked *almost* perfectly for me. I had to do one additional thing though in order to make it work. I had to disable AnyDVD for each individual drive on the host. I needed to have the AnyDVD program enabled, but each drive disabled. Then it all worked. Without doing this, the drives in the guest OS wouldn't recognize anything in the physical drives and wouldn't work at all.

I am running it on Hyper-V Server, by the way; not a full Server 2008 R2 installation.

For the benefit of others since it was driving me crazy, the above steps worked *almost* perfectly for me. I had to do one additional thing though in order to make it work. I had to disable AnyDVD for each individual drive on the host. I needed to have the AnyDVD program enabled, but each drive disabled. Then it all worked. Without doing this, the drives in the guest OS wouldn't recognize anything in the physical drives and wouldn't work at all.

I am running it on Hyper-V Server, by the way; not a full Server 2008 R2 installation.

I take it back... I was running AnyDVD as a service on the host Hyper-V server and it was staying enabled for each drive since the service didn't take my user settings. So, that part worked as described by the previous posters. What ISN'T working no matter what I try is ripping several discs back-to-back. The guest OS (WHS 2011) isn't recognizing the disc change unless I uncapture and recapture the physical drive. I can rip 1 disc just fine... When I eject the disc and insert a new one, the new disc never appears to the guest OS nor does it show in the AnyDVD status window. If I go to the Hyper-V manager, uncapture the physical drive, and then recapture it, the disc appears and everything works again.

I assume that this issue is caused by running AnyDVD in both the host OS and guest OS. The "right" way for this whole thing to work would be to only run AnyDVD in the guest OS. Why do we need to run it in both the host and the guest? And even with that, why doesn't the guest pick up the disc change?

It would be great if Slysoft could dedicate some resources to testing AnyDVD in a virtual environment to help work out some of these issues. Also, I would love to hear about other peoples' success stories and if they are able to rip multiple discs in succession without any intervention. Thanks!

exact same problem

djsecrist,
I'm in the same boat. I've tried AnyDVD on both the parent and the guest OS and both times there are issues with the RIP and the need to recapture. It also looks like Eject isn't getting passed from the guest OS correctly to the host but this is less of a problem than the need to "recapture" for Anydvd to see it in the Guest.

I even tried a USB over IP device to support ripping directly in the guest OS. When I do that, after the scan AnyDVD just crashes.

Slysoft,
Is there a log or anything that I can post that can help identify if either running in Hyper-V or ripping over USB/IP can be made to work?

I am trying to work around the issue by creating a script to detect the disc change on the host and automatically recapture the drive in the guest. I am close... I will try to find some time to work on it this weekend. If I have any success, I will let you know. I really wish Slysoft would help us out with this though! Anything I do is just a bandaid...

want help? produce a logfile

If you want help from slysoft, then produce a logfile as you were asked in the 2nd post to this thread.

That's the first step to getting your problem solved.

If you want help from slysoft, then produce a logfile as you were asked in the 2nd post to this thread.

That's the first step to getting your problem solved.

There is no point in posting a log because there IS NO LOG. It is just the "EMPTY_DRIVE" log that gets produced by AnyDVD running in the Guest OS (WHS 2011 in my case). When I look at the AnyDVD status in the Settings, it says that "No Disc is present in Drive I:" Drive I is set in Hyper-V to physically capture drive D: from the physical host. Drive D: on the host is also running AnyDVD and looks fine in the Status. The 1st disc captured is passed through normally. Ejecting from the guest works normally, but then the next disc inserted appears on the host but not the guest.

There is no point in posting a log because there IS NO LOG. It is just the "EMPTY_DRIVE" log that gets produced by AnyDVD running in the Guest OS (WHS 2011 in my case). When I look at the AnyDVD status in the Settings, it says that "No Disc is present in Drive I:" Drive I is set in Hyper-V to physically capture drive D: from the physical host. Drive D: on the host is also running AnyDVD and looks fine in the Status. The 1st disc captured is passed through normally. Ejecting from the guest works normally, but then the next disc inserted appears on the host but not the guest.

Why do you want to run AnyDVD on the guest and the host? One AnyDVD should be enough. If it runs on the host, the guest should see already unprotected discs.

The My Movies for WHS addin uses AnyDVD to rip DVDs and Blu-rays. I don't think it is possible to make it work without AnyDVD running on the guest, but I will try again. And when AnyDVD is running on the guest, it must also run on the host for some unknown reason.

I will test out all of the various scenarios when I get a chance and post what happens with each. Thanks for your replies.

I will test out all of the various scenarios when I get a chance and post what happens with each. Thanks for your replies.

Here are some initial tests and results:
1. Host = AnyDVD not running; Guest = AnyDVD running and enabled; RESULT = DVD video disc identified as Data disc by AnyDVD and not readable by Windows (I can get a log for this one and will post it)

2. Host = AnyDVD running and enabled; Guest = AnyDVD not running; RESULT = 1 disc inserted is fully usable but the Guest OS is never informed of a disc change; after physically pressing the eject button, the guest still thinks the disc is in the drive and doesn't recognize any new discs

3. Host and Guest both running AnyDVD and enabled; RESULT = same as #2

4. neither Host nor Guest running AnyDVD; RESULT = same as #2

Host = Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 R2
Guest = Windows Home Server 2011

Number 4 was particularly interesting to me. This tells me that it is not any AnyDVD problem. Number 1 could still be an AnyDVD issue, but the others are somehow related to Hyper-V. I will have to search on other forums, but does anyone reading this have a server where a Hyper-V guest vm is able to recognize physical disc changes without doing anything special?

Back