• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Tutorial - How to Rip Blu Ray to DVD disc.

what2be

Hopefully this helps someone, I went through alot of trial and error before I found out how to do it..

and hopefully it saves someone alot of time to do a simple task, which is to rip a blu ray dvd and then convert it to a TS_folder type structure and be able to burn a DVD either on standard dvd or a dvd-9.

The whole reason for this was that I have blu ray at home, and all my movies are blu ray, and I went out of town and the house we were staying at only had a DVD player, so I wanted to rip a blu ray movie and make a dvd I could take with us and play on a standard dvd player.

Instructions are for both mac and pc users.

MAC USER:
========
1) Insert your blu ray dvd into your dvd drive.

2) Boot into boot camp and run Anydvd, then pick "rip video dvd to harddisk"
After it copies to the hard drive, take note of where you ripped it to, (eg, your desktop, downloads folder etc.)

3) Download and install handbrake (its freeware, and as of this tutorial , its version 0.9.4)
In handbrake, under presets, the Regular, pick normal.

4) click source then browse to your folder where anydvd copied your movie. Click the name of the folder (the name of the movie you copied) , then pick the BDMV folder, then pick the STREAM folder, then pick the correct .m2ts file. (its usually the biggest file in the folder, and I usually sort the folder by size to see the biggest files first). Now click okay, and you will return to the Handbrake screen.

5) under Destination, then File: click the browse button and decide where you want the new .mp4 saved to. (I usually pick the desktop, but whatever works for you). After you pick the folder, you will return to the Handbrake screen.

6) then click "start" at the top of the handbrake screen and it will encode your .mp4 file.

7) at this point, I use Toast, and under the video options, I pick DVD video. Then I simply drag the .mp4 file Handbrake created into the toast window and set the title and a few other misc options (dvd size, eg, 4.7 or 8.5) (8.5 being dvd-9) and click burn, viola, your dvd is ready to play in any standard dvd player.

***if for some reason you dont have or want to buy toast, you can use any other software that takes video files and converts them to a TS_folder type format that is needed to make a dvd. I dont know of any freeware ones for the mac but maybe someone on here can post a program that does it. ***

PC USER:
========

1) Insert your blu ray dvd into your dvd drive.

2) Start Anydvd, then pick "rip video dvd to harddisk"
After it copies to the hard drive, take note of where you ripped it to. (eg, c:\temp)

3) Download and install handbrake (its freeware, and as of this tutorial , its version 0.9.4)
In handbrake, under presets, the Regular, pick normal.

4) click source then browse to your folder where anydvd copied your movie. Click the name of the folder (the name of the movie you copied) , then pick the BDMV folder, then pick the STREAM folder, then pick the correct .m2ts file. (its usually the biggest file in the folder). Now click okay, and you will return to the Handbrake screen.

5) under Destination, then File: click the browse button and decide where you want the new .mp4 saved to. (I usually pick the desktop, but whatever works for you). After you pick the folder, you will return to the Handbrake screen.

6) then click "start" at the top of the handbrake screen and it will encode your .mp4 file.

7) at this point, I use Nero Vision, then pick "Make DVD" in the main menu, then pick DVD-Video. Then I click the import tab on the right hand side and pick "Import Files". Browse to where Handbrake copied your movie, (eg, desktop) and click "OK".

8) At the bottom of the Nero Vision box, you will see your dvd options, (eg, DVD or DVD-9. (use DVD for 4.7 gig dvd's, and DVD-9 if you have Dual Layer DVD's 8.5 gigabytes) From there just pick your title you want to name it and burn it. Viola, your dvd is burned and you can play it in any DVD player.

**note, if you dont have Nero Vision, or dont want to buy it, there is probably a freeware program that does it, I just dont know of one. Im sure someone on here can post a program the does the same thing Nero Vision does, which is to simply take a video file like a .mp4 and convert it into a TS_Folder type structure needed to make a DVD.***

Hope this helps someone....

Last edited:
This only works if your film is made from a single file, if it's made from multiple files (like most Disney films) then I assume you'd have to run it through Clown BD first to get a single file for the main movie

meh @ Tutirial :p Clown_BD and/or BD-ReBuilder is all ya need ^^

I will second to what Ch3vrOn has already said----------

And, get rid of Nero

:clap:

I disagree with both of you, if you had actually read what the guide was about then you'd know he was making the final output as a standard DVD to play on a standard DVD player so you can't just use Clown BD and BD rebuilder to do this.

in that case i stand corrected. However, why go the hard way like that when you can go the easy way with
Code:
http://www.dvd-cloner.com/blu-ray-to-dvd/

I think the place he/she is staying needs to get in the mainstream and update their standard definition player to a Blu-ray player, so it will play standard definition and Blu-rays.

In any case, going from Blu-ray at 1080p down to a least 720p or less is not a good idea, even for a one-time trip or vacation.

Video development does not go from Blu-ray high definition down to standard definition, once you have seen the movie at 1080p seeing the same movie at standard definition will be a let down.

Maybe a different hobby until you get back to the location where you can play your high definition video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the place he/she is staying needs to get in the mainstream and update their standard definition player to a Blu-ray player, so it will play standard definition and Blu-rays.

In any case, going from Blu-ray at 1080p down to a least 720p or less is not a good idea, even for a one-time trip or vacation.

Video development does not go from Blu-ray high definition down to standard definition, once you have seen the movie at 1080p seeing the same movie at standard definition will be a let down.

Maybe a different hobby until you get back to the location where you can play your high definition video.

If your display device is 720 or less, then you aren't seeing full resolution anyway. And as far as "moving up to Bluray", it's not that easy in the real world when you have other financial responsibilities.

in that case i stand corrected. However, why go the hard way like that when you can go the easy way with
Code:

Does that program really work ? What about their other stuff ? Some of these sites always look suspect to me so I never believe them... but it looks nice if it really works... Have you personally used it or any of their other stuff ?

Thanks

what2be ,

does going from source to mp4 then mp4 to mpeg2 cause noticeable pixelation or audio sync issues ?

If you use Toast 10 with the blu ray plug in I think it can take a m2ts file and go straight to dvd ... but I have had syc issues in the past doing this.

havent tried it myself, but asked arround an its supposed to work. You can always try it out on a dvd-rw if u dont wanna risk a coaster (not that blank dvd's are that expensive)

For fun I took 2012 blu ray and made a standard dvd out of it.
I ripped it , then took the main m2ts file and gave it to Nero to make a normal dvd. You need the blu ray codec that Nero charges extra for but it made a disc , bypassing the need to handbrake it.

I also tried taking the disc on the mac and handbraking it like mentioned in the first post but it just created a mp4 file that could not be played back or Toast could use, it said invalid , etc.... So I am not sure if handbrake can really read a m2ts file and convert it to mp4 properly or not..

But I was surprised that Nero handled it , the original ripped m2ts was like 30gb and it made a 4.7gb standard dvd-r playable on a normal player. The video looked good and was in sync.

I also tried making a mkv file on the mac then using handbrake to convert that video to Apple TV video .m4v then I took that file and gave it to Toast to make make a standard no menu dvd - worked too. The Nero dvd had a little better quality because I fed it the m2ts master file...

So if you have Nero with the hi def codec option you should be able to just throw the m2ts file at it and tell it to make a normal dvd skipping the whole handbrake step on the PC.

Why would you do all this ? well like the first poster said... maybe you want a video disc for the car.....

Last edited:
Code:

I havent tried that program. I did however try another one that does the same thing and had horrible pixelation/corruption on the top 1/3 of the screen that kept coming in and out of the video. If the program you mentioned works that would be easier yet (unless you have the software allready to do it like I suggested)

A group of us went to a friends cabin in the mountains, where there is not even a telephone, let alone a high def t.v. its a simple old 19" tv with rca plugins, so no high def material is gonna work. He just told me to grab a few movies in case we get bored at night.

I wasn't expecting a high def conversion. If I wanted the real experience I would have stayed home with my JVC HD100 projector on my 105" screen and my Adcom/ACI speakers while doing blow off some strippers tits enjoying my blu ray movie in all its glory. This was just some entertainment like you would rip a movie to watch on your laptop while on a plane.

what2be ,

does going from source to mp4 then mp4 to mpeg2 cause noticeable pixelation or audio sync issues ?

If you use Toast 10 with the blu ray plug in I think it can take a m2ts file and go straight to dvd ... but I have had syc issues in the past doing this.

I tried a few times to take the .m2ts file and drop it into toast and it would give me error -39 every time. I tried toast 9, then bought toast 10 ($120) and got the same error. So I gave up and did the conversion first in handbrake.

And no, no sync issues, and no pixelation or video issues. It looked as good as I think it can for a DVD. I tried it in handbrake as well as in h.264 ripbot and the ripbot files were smaller, but they seemed darker to watch. I didnt do a in depth study, just my casual observation. I I remember correctly handbrake had the movie at 4.9 gigs, and ripbot (on 2 different quality settings) was at 2.8 gigs and 2.1 gigs. I could have re-encoded in handbrake to get it fit inside a standard dvd but was in a hurry so just used a dvd-9 disc.

hope this helps..

For fun I took 2012 blu ray and made a standard dvd out of it.
I ripped it , then took the main m2ts file and gave it to Nero to make a normal dvd. You need the blu ray codec that Nero charges extra for but it made a disc , bypassing the need to handbrake it.

I also tried taking the disc on the mac and handbraking it like mentioned in the first post but it just created a mp4 file that could not be played back or Toast could use, it said invalid , etc.... So I am not sure if handbrake can really read a m2ts file and convert it to mp4 properly or not..

But I was surprised that Nero handled it , the original ripped m2ts was like 30gb and it made a 4.7gb standard dvd-r playable on a normal player. The video looked good and was in sync.

I also tried making a mkv file on the mac then using handbrake to convert that video to Apple TV video .m4v then I took that file and gave it to Toast to make make a standard no menu dvd - worked too. The Nero dvd had a little better quality because I fed it the m2ts master file...

So if you have Nero with the hi def codec option you should be able to just throw the m2ts file at it and tell it to make a normal dvd skipping the whole handbrake step on the PC.

Why would you do all this ? well like the first poster said... maybe you want a video disc for the car.....

I didnt even think to try nero!, thanks, that sounds even easier. Ill try that next time. I do have the blu-ray plugin as well for it. Did you use recode or vision to do it?

not sure why you had a problem with the .mp4 on toast. were you in the make dvd section like I mentioned in my guide? I tried it in toast 9 and 10 and it worked in both. But like you said, if nero can do it from the master, thats the way to go. No use in re-encoding multiple times.

And yeah, I always use handbrake to rip to my apple tv. Seems to be the easiest way ive found so far. Interestingly enough, I was just going to take my apple tv with me, until I found out the tv where I was staying did not have component or hdmi connections, so I was out of luck, hence my ordeal in making a standard dvd I could take with me.

Last edited:

Don't be silly.

There's perfectly good reason to down-res blu-ray to SD.
For example, I buy all my movies on BD now, for my HD Home Cinema setup.
Now, the kids want to watch the same movie in the car.
How to do?
Not many in-car BD players, and for good reason.
The displays are nowhere near HD.

Official solution:
Double-dip your wallet for a DVD copy.

Possible solution:
Google for hours, have your i7 system chew on it for a few hours and perhaps create a DVD format output. It might even work.

My solution:
Rent the DVD and copy it.

--
SC

Only problem with using Nero for this.... is that Nero Vision SUCKS. I've been doing the Bluray to DVD for quite awhile now, and I have found nothing better than ConvertXtoDVD, in terms of speed and quality output.....
It can take the original m2ts files directly, or a BDRebuilder output m2ts file.

There is also AVStoDVD, which is free but takes longer because it uses true encoders like HCEnc or QuEnc.

Just suggesting alternatives to try after you too find out that Nero Vision sucks big ones...lol

Only problem with using Nero for this.... is that Nero Vision SUCKS. I've been doing the Bluray to DVD for quite awhile now, and I have found nothing better than ConvertXtoDVD, in terms of speed and quality output.....
It can take the original m2ts files directly, or a BDRebuilder output m2ts file.

There is also AVStoDVD, which is free but takes longer because it uses true encoders like HCEnc or QuEnc.

Just suggesting alternatives to try after you too find out that Nero Vision sucks big ones...lol

I do the same thing, did 2012 last night. Bluray to DL disc using BDRebuilder, then take that 7.51gb Stream file (m2ts) and use AVStoDVD (free software, it uses HCenc for a 2 pass encode) to make a 4.3gb DVD compliant disc. It looks very good with an upconverting dvd player and great on the smaller screens of a computer or car play. It's only 2.1 sound but I think it would really surprise everyone how good it looks. I've given out a couple to friends to see if they would play on different standalones and they all thought that it was a regular DVD. So, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.:p

Last edited:
I do the same thing, did 2012 last night. Bluray to DL disc using BDRebuilder, then take that 7.51gb Stream file (m2ts) and use AVStoDVD (free software, it uses HCenc for a 2 pass encode) to make a 4.3gb DVD compliant disc. It looks very good with an upconverting dvd player and great on the smaller screens of a computer or car play. It's only 2.1 sound but I think it would really surprise everyone how good it looks. I've given out a couple to friends to see if they would play on different standalones and they all thought that it was a regular DVD. So, don't knock it if you haven't tried it.:p

Don't remember about AVStoDVD, but ConvertXtoDVD can be set to output to 5.1 AC3.... I'm sure AVStoDVD also has that setting as well.

Don't remember about AVStoDVD, but ConvertXtoDVD can be set to output to 5.1 AC3.... I'm sure AVStoDVD also has that setting as well.

Convertxtodvd is the one I tried that had the wierd video problem at the top 1/3 of the screen. Not sure why it did it, but it was the same .m2ts file I used in handbrake and worked fine when encoded from that.

Convertxtodvd is the one I tried that had the wierd video problem at the top 1/3 of the screen. Not sure why it did it, but it was the same .m2ts file I used in handbrake and worked fine when encoded from that.

Don't have no clue as to what you did wrong, but there are several of us that have done a hundred or more Blurays to DVD using ConvertXtoDVD.
And as I stated, you could just input the original m2ts file without the need of using x264 first, via Handbrake, BDRebuilder, or RipBot.
But if I were to use x264, I'd be more inclined to use BDRebuilder to at least output to BD structure, then use ConvertXtoDVD afterwards.....
But Nero Vision's encoding sucks, that's the main issue with what you suggested. Might even be better off using DVDflick after Handbrake if you must, but if free was essential, I'd go with AVStoDVD first.

Back