• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

turn off vcd?

gbr

i must admit i love vcd.

is there any chance that in a future version of vcd we could turn it on when we need it and stop it/unload it when we don't (ie vcd not the iso). i'm using it with a few disks that i only need once or twice a month but have to keep vcd going all the time.

thanks.

You can reduce the number of virtual drives down to zero. Please go to

[Start]-Programs-Elaborate Bytes-Virtual CloneDrive-Virtual CloneDrive

There you can define the number of virtual drives (e.g. 0 in your case).

You can reduce the number of virtual drives down to zero. Please go to

[Start]-Programs-Elaborate Bytes-Virtual CloneDrive-Virtual CloneDrive

There you can define the number of virtual drives (e.g. 0 in your case).

Just to clarify, the setting is Disabled to have zero virtual drives available.

DrinkLyeAndDie i admit i really didn't understand your answer.

i had already tried setting number of drives to 0 but if i remember correctly it doesn't really stop/unload the program it just disabled it. also when i wanted to use it again i ended up having to actually reinstall it because just setting number of drives back to 1 didn't let me load an iso.

vcd works very well but i don't see myself using it more than a few time a month. i'm a bit fussy about having a lot of programs running all the time if i don't use them. for my use it would be better if vcd could be entirely shut down until i need it again.

thanks.

just setting number of drives back to 1 didn't let me load an iso.

That's not normal because that does work for me and everyone else. Perhaps you need to uninstall and then reinstall the program.

now it works

well the first time i tried it didn't work (i wonder why). now it does, it set number of drives to zero and then resest to >0. the memory footprint is pretty small. i resolve not to complain than i can't unload it.

No, I agree with gbr.

There should be an option to exit the program for when you are not using it. No matter how small the memory footprint is.

It is not necessary to have it running 100% of the time. Especially if you only need a VirtualDrive on rare occasions.

For now I just resort to shutting it down with Process Explorer, but would VERY much prefer an "Exit" option in the tray icon's menu.

Either way thanks for Virtual CloneDrive it works great.

No, I agree with gbr.

There should be an option to exit the program for when you are not using it. No matter how small the memory footprint is.

What exactly are you shutting down?
Set number of drives to disabled, disable "show tray icon", no precess should be running (latest beta, of course).

What exactly are you shutting down?
Set number of drives to disabled, disable "show tray icon", no precess should be running (latest beta, of course).

You're mistaken James.

Open up Task Manager([Ctrl]+[Shift]+[Esc] or [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del]; then, if using Vista or Win7, choose "Start Task Manager") or download Process Explorer and Autoruns from Microsoft's Sysinternals webpage: http://www.sysinternals.com/

You will see that even when number of drives is set to disabled and the tray icon to hidden that VCDDaemon.exe is still running and also has an autostart-with-windows entry in the registry.

So I think it would be awesome if there were an Exit option in the tray icons menu AND a checkbox in the preferences for turning autostart on or off.

Those are pretty much standard features of any non-mission-critical programs(ie programs besides Antiviruses and Windows services) these days aren't they?

I use win 7 and if I choose to hide tray icon and set drives to disabled then my VCDDaemon.exe disappears from taskmanager. And when I reboot it stays disabled and doesn't run the service so he's not mistaken.

Last edited:
you're right. the first time i tried that it stayed open for me. must've been an anomaly, because on subsequent attempts it seems to do as has been described. My apologies.

Well according to the posts above one can disable Virtual CloneDrive by setting the number of drives to "disabled" and turning of the tray menu. I believe VCD daemon starts up and exits based on the settings. Wouldnt be better if there was something similar to "AutoStart" feature of AnyDVD. By unchecking it Virtual CloneDrive doesnt start on startup but by using the program shortcut it starts of normally with the tray icon.

How VCD Works For Me Now and My Thoughts On How VCD Should Stop and Start (AIAC)

Running WinXP MCE 2005 SP3 and Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0.

Right-clicking the Virtual CloneDrive sheep's head icon and selecting [whatever it was], setting Number of Drives to "Disabled" and then right-click, "Exit".

Virtual CloneDrive sheep's head icon goes away.

Virtual CloneDrive disc icon does NOT go away; and right-click "settings" menu is still operational.

VCDDaemon.exe does NOT go away.

Don't have time this minute to play with restarting system but suspect that the Virtual CloneDrive (VCD) program does not automatically stop by just setting <i>Number of Drives</i> to "Disabled". I am guessing one has to restart the system to accomplish this.

I agree with jsday187, et al. The VCDDaemon process run and number of drives parameters should be separate functions. VCD should be re-coded to allow manual operation as well as automatic operation without touching the number of drives parameter.

In other words, adding a check box for autostart (re-use code presently under number of drives set to "Disabled"). "Disabled" could remain on the number of drives list (and access the same code) for backwards compatibility / familiarity.

In either case, unchecking Autostart or setting number of drives to "Disabled", the VCCDaemon process should be closed when OK is pressed on the VCD settings menu (ie, VCDPrefs closes); so that a needless reboot is not required.

In my case a reboot can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on what else I have running and who else is logged in but not active at the moment so I tend to save reboots for Sunday afternoon when it is relatively quiet around the house.

Manually running VCDDaemon (from Start Menu) would ...

if Autostart is not checked and number of drives set to Disabled: open with VCD Preferences menu and wait for User input.

if Autostart is checked and number of drives set to Disabled: ibid

if Autostart is not checked and number of drives set to "n" drives: open the preferences menu on VCDaemon already running and wait for User input.

if Autostart is checked and number of drives set to "n" drives: ibid

With VCD Preferences running and number of drives set to "Disabled", if the user unchecks Autostart and clicks OK, VCD Daemon should be stopped.

With VCD Preferences running and number of drives set to "n" drives, if the user unchecks Autostart and clicks OK, VCD Daemon should be left running.

If the User wishes to stop the current VCD Daemon process, they would use the "Exit" feature on the present right-click menu (and it should stop both the VCD Prefs process and the VCD Daemon process regardless of the Autostart or number of drives parameter settings).

Running WinXP MCE 2005 SP3 and Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.0.

Right-clicking the Virtual CloneDrive sheep's head icon and selecting [whatever it was], setting Number of Drives to "Disabled" and then right-click, "Exit".

Virtual CloneDrive sheep's head icon goes away.

Virtual CloneDrive disc icon does NOT go away; and right-click "settings" menu is still operational.

VCDDaemon.exe does NOT go away.

Don't have time this minute to play with restarting system but suspect that the Virtual CloneDrive (VCD) program does not automatically stop by just setting <i>Number of Drives</i> to "Disabled". I am guessing one has to restart the system to accomplish this.

I agree with jsday187, et al. The VCDDaemon process run and number of drives parameters should be separate functions. VCD should be re-coded to allow manual operation as well as automatic operation without touching the number of drives parameter.

In other words, adding a check box for autostart (re-use code presently under number of drives set to "Disabled"). "Disabled" could remain on the number of drives list (and access the same code) for backwards compatibility / familiarity.

In either case, unchecking Autostart or setting number of drives to "Disabled", the VCCDaemon process should be closed when OK is pressed on the VCD settings menu (ie, VCDPrefs closes); so that a needless reboot is not required.

In my case a reboot can take anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour depending on what else I have running and who else is logged in but not active at the moment so I tend to save reboots for Sunday afternoon when it is relatively quiet around the house.

Manually running VCDDaemon (from Start Menu) would ...

if Autostart is not checked and number of drives set to Disabled: open with VCD Preferences menu and wait for User input.

if Autostart is checked and number of drives set to Disabled: ibid

if Autostart is not checked and number of drives set to "n" drives: open the preferences menu on VCDaemon already running and wait for User input.

if Autostart is checked and number of drives set to "n" drives: ibid

With VCD Preferences running and number of drives set to "Disabled", if the user unchecks Autostart and clicks OK, VCD Daemon should be stopped.

With VCD Preferences running and number of drives set to "n" drives, if the user unchecks Autostart and clicks OK, VCD Daemon should be left running.

If the User wishes to stop the current VCD Daemon process, they would use the "Exit" feature on the present right-click menu (and it should stop both the VCD Prefs process and the VCD Daemon process regardless of the Autostart or number of drives parameter settings).
That's how it works:

1.) Set the number of drives to disabled
2.) Disable "Show Tray Icon"

Done. The VCDDaemon process will stop.

Back