• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Trying to move my library to a home server. Best software?

mguz

I am tired of dragging out all the disks to play them, so I'm trying to put them on a home server and use iTunes to manage the access to them.

Might anyone point me to a good software to 'crunch' these disks to HDD? Presently I'm using Handbrake, and have browsed a couple of other softwares, but am interested in hearing testimonials from the assembly.

Thanks in advance, will be happy to learn.

I assume by the fact you posted in the AnyDVD HD forum that you are using Blu-rays and not DVD's, if that is the case then CloneBD is fairly good and on my systems does them extremely fast.

I use AnyDVD HD plus Clone BD to make .mp4's of all my movies. I keep them on a server and play them on two different Apple TV's (3rd gen - haven't tried the new one yet). That solution works well for me.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that Clone BD was only good for making backup discs (not that kids have EVER messed up a disc/tape/record/cd.....). I will check it out immediately.
Have been using handbrake, which is pretty good, but looking for better.

jwjohnson, I have Apple TV version 1-3, returned my version 4.
I loved the unit and its features, EXCEPT it would not let Siri search my library, it kept going to the web for all my viewing requests. So, if I want to watch Zoolander, I still had to access the library, hold the down 'button' for quite a while, and then get to my movie. I had hoped (and still do) that eventually Apple will realize people are starting to garner larger libraries and really would like to search & play from that resource first, if possible.

I had hoped (and still do) that eventually Apple will realize people are starting to garner larger libraries and really would like to search & play from that resource first, if possible.
The industry doesn't want people building up home libraries of media they have ripped from official sources, which is why they redirect to official channels.

AnyDVDHD & CloneBD here. I use Plex for media distribution to all kinds of devices and recommend it.

I agree with Kazz5. I use plex also and have never had any problem with it.

RipBot264 is pretty good. And it does distributed encoding if you happen to have multiple machines on your home network that you'd like to utilize simultaneously.

I am tired of dragging out all the disks to play them, so I'm trying to put them on a home server and use iTunes to manage the access to them.

Might anyone point me to a good software to 'crunch' these disks to HDD? Presently I'm using Handbrake, and have browsed a couple of other softwares, but am interested in hearing testimonials from the assembly.

Why don't you use Anydvd to "Rip Video Disc to Harddrive"(Movie only) so you only have the movie Or Rip to Image(ISO)? iTunes is the worst software to do what your doing - it's a DRM infected site. I have no problem with ISO images as if you want to burn them back you can use imgburn to burn them back to physical media.

I use cloneBD and sometimes Nero recode to rip to mp4 and watch them over the dlna server. I use Serviio for the server

What's wrong with sticking to Handbrake? What are you looking to improve?

I've been doing exactly what you're talking about for years. I have over 1000 movies tucked away in several boxes in my garage in case anything goes seriously awry, but I haven't put a disc (that I didn't rent) into a player (more than once, at least) in quite some time.

Rip with AnyDVD (or AnyDVD HD), Handbrake to ATV3 profile, Tag the resulting M4V file with MetaX, copy the file onto my 5tb external drive, and drop it on iTunes. Done. Works brilliantly on 4 AppleTV3's scattered around the house. (I purchased the ATV4 twice, and returned it after a week each time). I actually two 5tb drives, with copies on each, so if either goes dead I can buy another and restore it. I'm semi-screwed if I ever lose both at once, though. (I kept one of my old 4tb drives, so I wouldn't lose everything, but I'd lose a lot)

I was under the (mistaken) impression that Clone BD was only good for making backup discs (not that kids have EVER messed up a disc/tape/record/cd.....). I will check it out immediately.
Have been using handbrake, which is pretty good, but looking for better.

jwjohnson, I have Apple TV version 1-3, returned my version 4.
I loved the unit and its features, EXCEPT it would not let Siri search my library, it kept going to the web for all my viewing requests. So, if I want to watch Zoolander, I still had to access the library, hold the down 'button' for quite a while, and then get to my movie. I had hoped (and still do) that eventually Apple will realize people are starting to garner larger libraries and really would like to search & play from that resource first, if possible.

I came the exact same conclusion. I bought the ATV4 twice (someone told me all the problems were fixed and I foolishly believed them), and returned it each time. The problems are even worse if you use a third party remote (Harmony) instead of the stock remote, but even with the stock remote, navigating large libraries is a nightmare.

I measured scrolling speeds last time I tried, and it took a full minute of holding the down arrow to scroll from "A-Team" to "Iron Man". I would never watch Zoolander again if I had to scroll all the way to the Zs, let alone browse my collection for movies starting with anything other than A,B,C,D or MAYBE E!

Back