• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

TrueHD to DTS

user123

Hello,
I just bought AnyDvd Hd and was wondering if there is an option to convert the TrueHd audio to DTS. I know TrueHD downconverts to the next best audio that your reciever can support but I really could use the extra space TrueHD takes up. Thanks in advance!

DTS?? Why. DTS takes up lots of space too. Convert to Dolby Digital (AC3) if you need the space. EAC3to can convert from TrueHD to DD

Thanks for your quick reply. I'd like dts because it is the best audio quality that my reciever supports. The space is a great benefit but I would like the best audio quality I can get. Is this possible in AnyDvd HD? Thanks!

If you use just the m2ts files then you can use tsmuxer, it is free, easy, and works very well.

If you are looking to cut down on size, if you cut out everything except the 1080p video and the one audio track you need (down convert to ac3), you can take off 20%

AnyDvD HD + TsMuxer has been a great combo for me

Just to make sure I fully understand can you verify my thinking? Rip the bluray disc to the hard drive. Locate the m2ts files and send them through tsmuxer which will then output to dts. Is there anything else I need to do? Thanks so much!

This is my process, heres a mini tut:

1) Rip to Hard drive with AnyDvD HD
2) Go into stream folder
3) Check for 1 Master m2ts file (whole movie) or multiple m2ts files (parts of movie)
4) Open TsMuxer
5a) If one master m2ts file, add that file into m2ts
5b) If multiple parts, click add, go to playlist folder
5b-1) The playlist tells TsMuxer how to find the correct order of the multiple m2ts files
5b-2) The correct playlist file is supposed to be the largest file, I have so far not found this to be true. So far I have found it to be 0003 or 0004 usually. To be able to tell on the top window, after selecting the playlist file, it should list multiple m2ts files and not just one over and over.
6) The second main window should show a list of video, audio, and graphic information; uncheck ALL files except the 1920x1080 video file and the audio file in the language you want.
6b) Remember to read the information listed for the audio file, just so you are not choosing the 2 channel stream
7) Hightlight the audio track, check mark the "downconvert to ac3" option in the section below
8) Change the bullet in the next section to m2ts and tell it where to save
9) Hit mux and 10-30 Mins later it will be done!

Sorry for the rushed tut, but you should get it after a few rips

Thank you very much for the tutorial. That will be very useful. Also is there a way to instead of downconvert to dts instead of ac3? Thank you!

No, not with tsmuxer. tsmuxer will let you convert True-HD to standard Dolby 5.1 (core) and it will let you do the same with DTS-HD (standard DTS 5.1). It will not convert Dolby to DTS.

Are there any programs out there that can convert TrueHD to Dts? I know it is possible because when I was browsing for a Linux distro I saw a Dark Knight rip that had DTS sound (no I do not condone the illegal downloading of copyrighted material). The Dark Knight only has TrueHD and DD so how could the pirate have done this? If this discussion of torrents (which I don't condone) is inappropriate feel free to remove it. Thanks.

for me video is MOST important....sure DTS is a bit better, but at expense of bitrate...go for bolby digital at 640 bitrate...just easier.

plus if you want to goto DTS you need to convert the trueHD to WAV, which eac3to can do, but then you need surcode DTS encoder....good luck, but just not worth it.

for me video is MOST important....sure DTS is a bit better, but at expense of bitrate...go for bolby digital at 640 bitrate...just easier.

plus if you want to goto DTS you need to convert the trueHD to WAV, which eac3to can do, but then you need surcode DTS encoder....good luck, but just not worth it.

You may follow this step by step guide to easily convert TrueHD to any desired format on Mac or Windows.

This guide applies to:

Convert MKV encoded with TrueHD to MKV encoded with AC3, MP3, MP2, PCM, and DCA;
Convert MKV TrueHD to MP4 AAC to play MKV on Apple TV, iTunes, QuickTime, iPad, iPod, iPhone and etc ;
Extract TrueHD audio from MKV and then convert to other audio format like convert TrueHD to AC3, convert TrueHD to DTS, convert TrueHD to FLAC, convert TrueHD to PCM, convert TrueHD to WAV, AIFF, ALAC, AU, RA, OGG, AAC, M4A, MP2 and etc.
Convert MKV True HD to AVI, WMV, MOV, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, VOB, ASF, FLV, WebM, DV, RMVB, OGV, TS and etc

how to convert dts hd master audio to dts
DTS HD should always have a standard DTS core so there's nothing to convert. Any good software should just extract the DTS core untouched

I know this thread is old but this info might help explain some things about bluray and containers.

Think of truehd as a container that holds dolby atmos and ac3(dolby digital) information and dtshd that holds dts core track. This is kinda the same as mkv that holds the .ac3 and .h264 with the .sub in its container and m2ts which is a container that holds sup files, h264, ac3,dts, ect. Now this is a crude example but you can only extract out of each container its contents. So to CONVERT truehd/ac3 to dts you need a dts encoder and these are not available to the public as freeware. By the way if you play dts and ac3 at 660 you cannot notice a difference. I only speak for 5.1 so this may vary for a 7.1 or higher speaker surround.

Tools like tsmuxer EXTRACTS the audio,video,subtitles normal and forced out of the container and can MERGE single files into the m2ts container (bluray structure (can cause troubles with forced subtitles) that are embedded) for bluray disk playback in a bluray player.. MKV MERGE takes the single files (audio,video and subtitles) and puts them into a MKV Container (forced subs which support the forced flag) and MKV EXTRACT does the opposite. When you hear some say (as I have in previous posts) down-convert truehd to ac3 all its doing is taking the ac3 out of the truehd container. At least this is what i've noticed over the years of doing this stuff manually. I know adobe premiere supports a 5.1 dolby digital encoder as I use this software all the time but im not aware of any video editors that support DTS. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Back