• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Toshiba pushing forward HDDVD hard.

Datus

Jan 14th press release.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect.com/_inc/hddvd/news/01-14-2007-Price_Drops.pdf

Interesting read for people who felt a little bit down last week.

Toshiba far from dying are pushing the HDDVD word.
Retailers arn't ditching their stock like some people have mentioned its because toshiba have released the players at that price.

IMPORTANT quote from the document:
Universal Home Video, Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks Animation SKG have reported that an average of 30 percent of HD DVD owners have accessed Web-enabled network features and continue to do so regularly.

Thats powerfull information and you never know who might be reading *wink*

See Amazon hourly sales figures here
http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/172514/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_2_last

Last edited:
but the price doesnt matter, because hd-dvd was in the past also cheaper as blu-ray movies and blu-ray player.. they need more support from movie studios and more players, not only from toshiba..

Yea, I agree. Player price doesn't mean jack squat in this battle. It really doesn't. Content and price of content is what matters. And you know what? HD DVD really lost on content price IMO. The combo disc idea was good except for the pricing of it and the fact that they were low quality and tended to suffer from mfg defects. People don't want to pay 5-10 bucks more for a disc just to have DVD on one side. If it was the SAME price as the Blu-ray disc then great, that'd be a deciding factor. But it isn't. As a result, HD DVD content prices are higher in general than Blu-ray. Which is freaking ridiculous when you think about it. HD DVD is supposedly cheaper to make than Blu-ray. Where's my cost savings then??? Player price isn't going to settle this war. You don't buy a player...you buy something that plays the content you want. (Before I get slammed for that comment, please think about what it means.)

By the time both sides finish arguing which format the consumer chose,the consumer will have made another choice.I agree with SamuriHL,they had a chance to undercut Bluray because it`s cheaper to manufacture HD DVD.If they would have had these player prices for the last 6mos.and sold the discs cheaper,they would probably have won or at least been well on the way to winning.

I couldn't agree more. There is a real chance now that neither side will win. While I don't forsee Apple's new TV toy and their HD rental service as really doing it, someday someone might hit the right formula and win the hearts and minds of average Joe Consumer. If that happens and it's not Blu-ray or HD DVD, then we could be in for a rather sizable change in the video market. I for one am not ready to give up discs for downloads. The quality just isn't there and I'm not about to download a 50 gig image to watch a movie with the quality I want. Now, if I can get that 50 gig image in an hour, well, talk to me then. :D

Yeah,what happened to all the fiber optic lines that were started during the dot.com boom?They dug the trenches and laid some cable along the RR tracks by me and then everything went bust.I can`t remember the bandwidth they would`ve provided but,it was enough for HD downloads.We`re actually behind several other counties on Broadband adoption and bandwidth.I read something on the N.Y. Times site,I believe,about DRM.The wastalking about the problems and whoever the guest was sat and talked about how they needed to do something about fair use but,no solutions,as usual.There was about 161 replies a few were silly but,many were good.They`ve been so paranoid about losing money to piracy,they`ve lost far more because of overly restrictive DRM.They forgot we have rights to our property.Alot of good reading on how Disney still has the copyright to things that are 75 years old and the funny thing is,they took alot of it from the public domain because the copyrights had expired and then they,along with others of course,lobbied the Government to extend copyrights to extreme limits,beyond all reason I feel.If they wern`t so greedy,they would likely make more money.They need to learn the lesson that the music industry finally learned.Stop going to war with the customers.

Even fiber optic in the US is lagging behind. Trust me. ;) The speed I get is good compared to cable, but, compared to say Japan or South Korea, it's pretty pathetic. The sad part is I consider myself lucky to even have it! As for DRM, yea, they should drop all that nonsense, concentrate on putting out a top rate product for a fair price in a reasonable time frame(like 6 weeks after a theatrical run) so they can capitalize on initial marketing and reduce costs, and let the consumer do what they want with the product they purchased. Consumers are going to abuse it, no question. But, has that REALLY stopped people from pirating material online? I'm not arguing for piracy, but, the simple fact is, the harder you make it on the paying consumer, eventually they're going to get sick of it and go get the DRM free solution online...for free. That's what happened with music. It'll happen with video if they don't smarten up. I'd much rather pay for a DRM free product. Where's that option?

I have DSL 3Mbs to 6Mbs that`s the fastest available to me.What you said about DRM is exactly what most of the people repying to the article said.One was a game developer and he said he finally gave up on DRM and found out later that he sold more and made more money.Your right,they won`t stop piracy.They say they lose billions to it but,most of the people who do it only do so because it`s free.They wouldn`t have paid for it anyway.I think if they would enbrace Media Servers and HTPCs let people develop the hardware and the consumer see all the advantages of them,they would see increased revenue.I think alot more people would go that route if it was made easy.

Yup. But that's not the direction we are headed I'm afraid. Look at the cable card situation in the US. Got yourself an HD cable card module for your HTPC yet? OHHH, right, cable labs has to certify your device before you're allowed to have a cable card module. Anyone who builds their own systems are screwed cause they can't get their equipment certified. Yea, brilliant. So, no Media Center HD recording from cable. Awesome. That's a way to win me over.

I am bummed about Warner going blu, and after reading a lot of rumors as to why, I am shaking my head that Toshiba and Microsoft were unable to just buy Fox and Warner.

But you know what? Who really cares- my main concern is being able to rip and play hd movies. By the time BD+ really becomes an issue, Slysoft will have cracked it. Meanwhile, I am going to still buy as many hddvds as I can- because they are 1080p lossless audio movies (most of them) and that is the best quality I can buy as a consumer. I can get the oceans movies, harry potter, batman begins, etc.

If your main concern is the future of beign able to rip movies in hd, then you can do that right now.

Ripping Star Wars in Bluray- I will be counting on Slysoft to allow that to happen :)

Yea, Star Wars in HD...that's my biggest wish list item. Of course, if Paramount would get off its @$$ and release some of the Star Trek movies on HD that'd certainly motivate me as well. The Harry Potter movies on HD DVD are incredible. Batman Begins is one of the first HD titles I owned and I love it. Serenity. NICE. Last Samurai. (HEHEH) The Bourne movies. HD DVD had a lot going for it.

So yes, if you have the ability to play them, there are some great HD DVD's out there.

Well a month has gone by.

HDDVD isnt dead.

Theres lots info on sales etc saying HDdvd sales dropped hugely with WB anouncment but since then its going back up to where it was.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/electronics/172514/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_e_1_2_last

Look at that link. Amazon hourly figures show HDDVD player sales at positon 1,2 & 8 and poor old blue rays staggers in at position 11 & 18.
Amazon and wall mart sold out of hddvd players just after a major super bowl advert.

Based on those figures what would you buy.

Also reading WB end date seems to be late June and not May now.
I either see them going back to dual support or even going with thier inital plans and go HDDVD exclusive. We can only hope.

Last edited:
HDDVD up from 1,2 & 8 to 1,2 & 6 place
Blu-Ray falling from 11 & 18 to 15, 17 & 18 place.

funny how a format that is suposidly dead is out selling the so called winner.

I think the ordinary person (who doesnt want a failed games player) is voting.

Back