• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Toshiba Laptop DVD Drives / Will ANYDVD Work?

Scoop8

Hello, new here. I tried searching for this topic before posting but didn't see it previously, apologies if this has been posted earlier.

I recently purchased a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5168 model Laptop PC (purchased in Region 1, U.S.) and am interested in purchasing a Region-Free software package that will enable me to play any region's DVD's on the laptop. I've been reading on the 'net and I have read at some other R-Free software sites that Toshiba Satellite DVD Drives are excluded in some of the software programs (they either won't convert the Toshiba drives to R-Free capability or some other difficulties are known to have been encountered involving Toshiba laptop DVD drives.

Does anyone currently own a Toshiba Satellite model laptop and are sucessfully using ANYDVD software for R-Free playback?

Why not simply download the 21 day trial and find out for yourself?

Why not simply download the 21 day trial and find out for yourself?

I was hesitant in trying this software but I did download the trial version and it is working great :) . Thanks,

I did notice some "disclaimer" messages when I checked the "Jump directly to main movie" radio button in the "video dvd" menu section which concerned me but after I played my dvd for a few minutes using this software, I tested the dvd on my home dvd player and it played fine.

What is the reason for the disclaimer that says

"'Jump Directly to Main Menu' or 'Jump Directly to Title Menu' may not work with some DVD titles. It could even make the DVD unplayable!. If you encounter playback problems with a Video DVD, please try to turn off the option "Remove annoying trailers and adverts."

The part that mentioned "could make the DVD unplayable is the part that I was concerned about.

The part that mentioned "could make the DVD unplayable is the part that I was concerned about.
The original DVD can never be modified. The warning is referring to any backups that you make being unplayable if you have the option checked.

The original DVD can never be modified. The warning is referring to any backups that you make being unplayable if you have the option checked.

Matt, thanks, yes, the "light bulb" upstairs was slow on this one:eek: .

I'm new to the "PC" side of Region-Free but have had a home player for years that has been modified for R-free playback.

I guess I was a little gunshy of doing some permanent damage to my Toshiba Laptop DVD Drive since I've been trying to learn something about the PC R-free side of the hobby. I read at a couple of online sites where it can be "tricky" to convert some laptop DVD drives for R-free playback but if I understand how ANYDVD does this, it actually "reads" the DVD disc itself and removes the region coding so that the DVD Drive will see the disc as an all-region disc. Do I have the right understanding of how ANYDVD works?

I think what was giving me a "caution" flag about trying ANYDVD on my laptop was that I was concerned about the software (or another DVD Drive R-Free software pkg) rendering my laptop DVD drive inoperable.

But due to how ANYDVD works, that's a moot point, is this right?

Back