• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Thinking about the new Plextor 810SA

Last edited:
Why would someone make a drive that doesn't support the format that is officially from the DVD Forum itself? Every drive should support -R.

Just to clear up the point about DVD-R and the Plextor 810SA, it does support DVD-/+R, that is straight from the tech support at Plextor. They called again today and asked for the motherboard make and model. You will love this one, after checking on my motherboard which is made by Intel, they asked me where I buy my Verbatims discs. They are going to send me a gift card for 300 DVD+R Verbatims, until they figure out the problem.

Inquiring about the brand of MOBO that you are using was basically to rule out cheap hardware in your PC and is a wise thing to inquire about. You would be surprised at the number of persons that tell me how good there hardware is and when I open it up I find things like MachSpeed MOBO's, Intel CPU's on MOBO's with VIA chipsets, or my favorite...... a cheapy PSU that was included with the case.
Asking where you buy your media is also a smart inquiry. There are some questionable media resources.
I would say that Plextor is going above and beyond to satisfy a customer by offering to send you a gidt card 300 discs. :D

Inquiring about the brand of MOBO that you are using was basically to rule out cheap hardware in your PC and is a wise thing to inquire about. You would be surprised at the number of persons that tell me how good there hardware is and when I open it up I find things like MachSpeed MOBO's, Intel CPU's on MOBO's with VIA chipsets, or my favorite...... a cheapy PSU that was included with the case.
Asking where you buy your media is also a smart inquiry. There are some questionable media resources.
I would say that Plextor is going above and beyond to satisfy a customer by offering to send you a gidt card 300 discs. :D

I would agree with you on the point Plextor is going above and beyond with the gift card and a free 810SA burner. The more I read I wish I never bought the new computer and stayed away from SATA. The computer is fast no question there, but I do alot DVD of copying and searched the web for another brand of Burner. The reviews I read on LG, Samsung, Lite-On, Ben Q, NEC, Sony, Pioneer and others all seem some type of problem.

I know this sounds stupid but I have ordered a Lite-on, LG, Samsung, Plextor 716SA and NEC SATA Burners. Maybe one of those will read a DVD-R.

I would agree with you on the point Plextor is going above and beyond with the gift card and a free 810SA burner. The more I read I wish I never bought the new computer and stayed away from SATA. The computer is fast no question there, but I do alot DVD of copying and searched the web for another brand of Burner. The reviews I read on LG, Samsung, Lite-On, Ben Q, NEC, Sony, Pioneer and others all seem some type of problem.

I know this sounds stupid but I have ordered a Lite-on, LG, Samsung, Plextor 716SA and NEC SATA Burners. Maybe one of those will read a DVD-R.

I assure you......SATA is not the problem. I hear good things about LG but I've never owned one. I have and do own 2 Plextor 716SA'a and several NEC's and none have ever given any grief.

You all are correct it is not SATA, I installed a OEM Sony AW-G-170S and burned DVD-R and DVD+R perfectly. The computer store gave me the burner for free, but I feel I should pay the for it seeing it works great.

Plextor kept their word, I received a email from Meritline and I have 300 Verbatims DVD+R in my account prepaid, waiting on shipping instructions. Nice.

I still have the rest of the burners on the way, I can not get 716SA but they asked if the 760SA would be okay, I have no problem with that seeing they are selling it to me for $89.00. The 716SA was $285.00.

Thank you all for your help and I will let you know how each burner performs as I receive them.

Last edited:
If the 716SA was $285...you need to find another place to shop!
It's listed on the Plextor site for $143 retail. I purchased mine, when they were available from Newegg, for about $130 retail.

If the 716SA was $285...you need to find another place to shop!
It's listed on the Plextor site for $143 retail. I purchased mine, when they were available from Newegg, for about $130 retail.

I did try Plextor first, 716A not listed on their online store, it says you buy it online but it not listed. Just the 800A and 810SA and I have enough 810SA. I have the 708A, 712A, 716A, 740A and the 760A. The SATA is the killer every place I went said it had it, but to the side of burner it reads discontinued. The one place I found it let me order it then said they no longer carried it and asked if would take 760SA in its place. They are seling them on ebay for about $135.00 used. If you have one your are one of the lucky ones.

I questioned the people at Meritline, they were aware of the bad Verbatims and assured me these were good, any problems return them. They asked why Plextor was paying for them and the shipping, all I said it is long story.

I still can't get over the fact that OEM Sony worked great. The Samsung is due in tomorrow. The LG and Lite-On is due in Friday. No movement on the NEC yet.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about Lightscribe? The Samsung is their Superwriter with Lightscribe, I might of ordered the wrong one.

Do you know anything about Lightscribe? The Samsung is their Superwriter with Lightscribe, I might of ordered the wrong one.

Lightscribe is OK if you want it. I have no use for them and don't like the results...and the media is higher. You might find a use for it?

Good News

Plextor final resolved the problem I had with Verbatim DVD-Rs and their 810SA (new firmware). I wonder if they want the two other burners back and the 300 discs. Oh Well, they fixed their problem which fixed mine. :clap:

Last edited:
Back