• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear program

Jeff53404

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/26/us/pentagon-floppy-disks-nuclear/index.html

Here we are talking about decryption, conversion of data to various formats for portability, etc. and CNN had this article I couldn't resist posting. I've no idea how long it will remain available or if it will always be available in the archives so I removed the original ads and non-essential content so you have the meat of the information.

The U.S. is still using floppy disks to run its nuclear program

upload_2016-5-26_6-21-53.png
Floppy discs – Eight-inch floppy discs became commercially available in the 1970s. They allowed up to 1.2 megabytes of storage capacity. Today, a flash drive can hold up to 1 terabyte and comes in all sorts of practical novelty designs.

(CNN)Want to launch a nuclear missile? You'll need a floppy disk.

That's according to a new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), which found that the Pentagon was still using 1970s-era computing systems that require "eight-inch floppy disks."
Such disks were already becoming obsolete by the end of that decade, being edged out by smaller, non-floppy 3.5 to 5.25-inch disks, before being almost completely replaced by the CD in the late 90s.
Except in Washington that is. The GAO report says that U.S. government departments spend upwards of $60 billion a year on operating and maintaining out-of-date technologies.
That's three times the investment on modern IT systems.

This is hysterical... :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::p

Maybe the government feels, if it's SO old a technology...chances are that no one else will either know how to use it, or have any way to crack it, being it's so antique.

Wow...! :LOL: ...launch codes on a floppy...and an 8 inch floppy no less... Yikes..!

Last edited:
As best I can figure, pursuing, harassing and litigating against select software companies ranks higher on the list of technological priorities than ensuring someone doesn't sit on a floppy disk and ruin it, especially when that disk is linked to operation of a nuclear program.

Last edited:
A disk notcher was an indispensable tool for a Commodore 64 owner.
475px-Squareholepunch.jpg

I didn't know there were nuclear silos in Washington DC let alone launch codes on 8" floppies.
I don't know for sure either, and the linked online story could be an April-Fools joke for all I know...
But it's still funny to think it could be true...with the US Gov,..ya never know for sure. :p:eek::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Wow...I just checked again...and it seems to be a true story, and not a "Joke-Article".

That's really freakin scary..! :eek:

Last edited:
Back