• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

The Possession (Region A) - AnyDVD determines wrong region

Pelvis Popcan

Blu-Ray Disc is The Possession (Lionsgate), purchased at USA Best Buy retail store.

Tested disc in region selectable player

Region A: Normal Playback
Region B: Immediate "Mismatched region" screen
Region C: Immediate "Mismatched region" screen

In AnyDVD, when "Remove Blu-Ray Region Code" is set to "Automatic", AnyDVD incorrectly determines that the disc is region "BC".

Summary for drive Z: (AnyDVD HD 7.1.3.3, BDPHash.bin 12-11-23)
SONY BDRW BWU-100A 1.0F MAY13 ,2008RF4E
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 15212896 sectors (29712 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: The_Possession
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 28
Removed AACS copy protection!
Determined region(s): BC
Blu-ray disc Region set to B!

Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Blu-ray standard region lock adjusted to Region B!
Removed UOPs!

JAR folder without AnyDVD running zipped and uploaded to upload.slysoft.com, upload ID: 50f5eb2d86b18

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.1.3.3_Info_Z_The_Possession.zip
    123.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
As a temporary workaround (AnyDVD HD clearly got the region setting wrong), temporarily set region-code removal to "Always ask", then reinsert the disc and select Region A. If that works, change region-code removal to "Automatic" and see if it holds on next insertion.

With the region forced to A, AnyDVD creates a backup that plays successfully in all three regions. It appears to only be the automatic detection that fails here.

If that works, change region-code removal to "Automatic" and see if it holds on next insertion.

It doesn't. Switching back to auto detection once again results in an incorrect "BC" result.

With the region forced to A, AnyDVD creates a backup that plays successfully in all three regions. It appears to only be the automatic detection that fails here.
This looks like you simply forced Region A from settings, which was not my instructions. Read it again:

As a temporary workaround (AnyDVD HD clearly got the region setting wrong), temporarily set region-code removal to "Always ask", then reinsert the disc and select Region A. If that works, change region-code removal to "Automatic" and see if it holds on next insertion.
When you use "Always ask", your answer to the pop-up overrides past pop-ups; forcing the region from settings does not, thus the error returned. Use "Always ask" to set the pop-up to Region A, then see if that holds.

Let me clarify the difference between the BD region code settings so you'll understand why I suggested "Always ask":
  • Automatic: On first insertion, it tries to detect the region (incorrect on this disc); if that fails you get the pop-up. The answer is saved into the registry and retrieved on your next insertion. (Best for most users.)
  • Always ask: Brings the pop-up every time; like "Automatic", the answer is saved into the registry and retrieved when you use "Automatic" again. (Use this if you picked wrong on the first pop-up, or of course if you really want to set it every time.)
  • Forced region (A, B or C): No pop-up; just sets the region. Does not overrule "Automatic" region in registry. (Use for HTPCs where the pop-up interferes with normal operations, or for temporary manual settings for testing purposes.)

Last edited:
I did use "Always ask" to force region A. Switching back to auto detection once again results in an incorrect "BC" result.

I did use "Always ask" to force region A. Switching back to auto detection once again results in an incorrect "BC" result.
Thanks for the clarification; the way you said it at first suggested otherwise. Hopefully that will give James & co. an idea of where things went wrong...

work around...

Howdy! And 'me too'.
When I got the RC screen I tried the original disc and got the same screen!
In order to play the original I had to exit Anydvdhd:mad:.
After a nice scary watch I fiddled with the backup disc. Even with AnyDVD active VLP will play the movie but only with "no disc menu" selected. The featurette can then be played by: explore disc, open with, vlp. It helps a lot to have seen the menu first for special features!
I imagine I need regedit to ever make 'always ask', or even force 'A' work. (They don't) I'm just not up for regedit right now:bang:.
I suppose all of this might work with my usual PowerDVD9, if I went straight to explore and open the 20GB file, but VLP's 'no menu' option is much more pleasant. Future discs probably won't have one big file anyway.
Happy viewing!:rock:
Bub.

If "Always Ask" does not prompt for a region, simply specify "Region A" in the "Blu-Ray Region" section. No registry editing necessary.

Specify A did not work

It didn't ask and specifying didn't help.
Bub

Well what region are you in? If you are in region B or C and you specified region A then that would indeed not work.

PDVD asks on its own too if you wish to resume or restart without going into that setting FYI

Hi.
I'm in A.
Always restarted disc. Even ejected exited all programs including anydvd and then restarted rather than resumed in pdvd.
B.

Hi.
I'm in A.
Always restarted disc. Even ejected exited all programs including anydvd and then restarted rather than resumed in pdvd.
B.
Just to clarify: Is the DISC from Region A, but coming up in AnyDVD as B/C (like the OP)?

Last edited:
I put the backup disc in my htpc and the notification of region box did not pop up to tell me the region. Nor did the status page mention region(attached untitled2.gif). I walked over to my workhorse pc that I use to rip shrink and back up discs and did get a pop up saying 'region free' and a status page denying ability to detect automatically(attached untitled.gif).
I discovered 'remove rc box' checked on work pc, but not checked on htpc. "Duh" on me I think. I unchecked 'remove' box for ripping in the future(?). I tried the backup again in htpc with 'remove' box checked with no change in outcome.
Thanks RBB!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 8
I put the backup disc in my htpc and the notification of region box did not pop up to tell me the region. Nor did the status page mention region(attached untitled2.gif). I walked over to my workhorse pc that I use to rip shrink and back up discs and did get a pop up saying 'region free' and a status page denying ability to detect automatically(attached untitled.gif).
I discovered 'remove rc box' checked on work pc, but not checked on htpc. "Duh" on me I think. I unchecked 'remove' box for ripping in the future(?). I tried the backup again in htpc with 'remove' box checked with no change in outcome.
Thanks RBB!

According to your first screenshot, your disc has no AACS protection. Is this an original disc? Where did you get it? Based on this screenshot, you do not appear to have the same issue as I described in the original post.

Please post an AnyDVD Log file from your ORIGINAL retail disc to shed further light on your issue.

Back