• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

swapping motherboards?

thedatman

I'm thinking of upgrading my processor from AMD 6000+ x2 to a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz but to get the full buss speed I need to swap MBs with my wife's computer, her's is newer.

I'm thinking this should be fairly easy. I will make image backups of each Cdrive. First I'm thinking each will boot and windows (vista on 1 XP on the other) will look for drivers for the new hardware. I will lead it to the devices cds and I should be done in hour or so.

So am I living in never never land?

Last edited:
The C: drive images you make will not have the proper drivers to match the corresponding MOBO or the PC's hardware. What you are asking "can" be done but it doesn't always work out properly.
I would advice backing up all of your important data and do a clean install on each PC.

The C: drive images you make will not have the proper drivers to match the corresponding MOBO or the PC's hardware. What you are asking "can" be done but it doesn't always work out properly.
I would advice backing up all of your important data and do a clean install on each PC.
Oldjoe is correct, it can be done (but its a "suck it and see" situation). I have done this several times, and it can be hit or miss. Update both PC's to the latest service packs and place the latest drivers (for the relevant hardware) on your root drive before you do the swap and you might have a better chance at success.

Physically swapping the location of the PC's would be the easiest solution, then switch hardware from one to the other as needed and put the new processor in "your" mobo (assuming you have checked that the bios supports it).

Last edited:
Agree with Joe, I have done it in a pinch and just hit windows update and let it find the new drivers but it is not the best way to go about it for sure.

Thanks guys

I'll probably go with the fresh installs. I may try it and if it doesn't run smooth I'll bail.

what about vista 64? I have 32 is it worth the upgrade and the $99 ? I know I have to do a fresh install for upgrading to 64bit

Thanks guys

I'll probably go with the fresh installs. I may try it and if it doesn't run smooth I'll bail.

what about vista 64? I have 32 is it worth the upgrade and the $99 ? I know I have to do a fresh install for upgrading to 64bit

If you want to try a 64Bit OS then I'd suggest trying Windows 7 Beta. It is a much improved Vista. Not much point in paying $99 for another version of Vista.

Back